What's new

Twilight Time's Third Birthday! (1 Viewer)

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Man, I really want to check out The Wayward Bus, but The Roots of Heaven does fill a Huston gap. I have a week to decide at least. Thanks Rock!

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
EddieLarkin said:
Man, I really want to check out The Wayward Bus, but The Roots of Heaven does fill a Huston gap. I have a week to decide at least. Thanks Rock!
Then here's a plan Eddie: drop that Woman Obsessed DVD, and add the Blu-rays of both The Wayward Bus and Roots of Heaven. That's 10 bucks more than you were planning to spend, but a huge leap in viewing satisfaction.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
ROclockCK said:
Then here's a plan Eddie: drop that Woman Obsessed DVD, and add the Blu-rays of both The Wayward Bus and Roots of Heaven. That's 10 bucks more than you were planning to spend, but a huge leap in viewing satisfaction.
If anything I would have thought you'd have me drop Lost Horizon rather than Woman Obsessed (I can't do this though, as I'm looking forward to a Lost Horizon/At Long Last Love double bill too much). I'll think I'll go with what you suggest though actually; Woman Obsessed might get a BD upgrade one day!

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Happy Birthday Nick and Brian! I remember hearing about THE KREMLIN LETTER DVD (which I'd buy as a Blu-Ray upgrade!) and wondering what the heck this business model could be. And now I wait patiently every month for my package of TT releases to come in the mail! A toast to your accomplishments and to things to come!

Also -- urging anyone who already hasn't done so to pick up EXPERIMENT IN TERROR. I was *this* close to paying an arm and a leg for the OOP Sony DVD when this was announced. Genuinely terrifying and a fantastic Henry Mancini score (and one of the few geographically accurate movies about San Francisco ever made)!

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
EddieLarkin said:
If anything I would have thought you'd have me drop Lost Horizon rather than Woman Obsessed (I can't do this though, as I'm looking forward to a Lost Horizon/At Long Last Love double bill too much). I'll think I'll go with what you suggest though actually; Woman Obsessed might get a BD upgrade one day!
Well, Woman Obsessed needs something. Unfortunately, you can't miss those telltale ovoid 'Scope reel change punches which indicate that, at best, this was transferred from some pre-print or release print element. No one's fault if this is all that survives in usable form, but compared to the Blu-ray disc production on The Wayward Bus and even The Roots of Heaven (IIRC the latter is a 50GB disc), simply no contest. As formerly MIA 'Scope pictures, both just held more intrinsic lost cinema fascination...at least for me.

As for Lost Horizon '73, well, if you're a fan, then this is the full cut which of course gives it that added kick, and Sony did its customarily superb job on the HD remastering. It also contains some interesting (and again, very fan-savvy) special features. Even if I didn't already own it, this wouldn't be my own first choice, but it's an understandable one given the care TT and Sony put into the presentation.

Glad to see you're nabbing Alamo Bay though, which was my top pick catalogue Blu-ray from any studio last year. Superb Louis Malle film with (yet another) great Ry Cooder score, plus an early career show stealing performance by Ed Harris. Freshly transferred from Sony's new 4k DCP, it is just a flawless disc. Truly among Sony and TT's very best catalogue efforts to date, although mystifyingly underappreciated in this collection.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Happy Birthday indeed! What a great way to plug up some holes in my collection. Thanks, guys, and congratulations!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'm amazed that EXPERIMENT IN TERROR is even still available.

Well, I'd say that about several others, too. So what do I know?

Never mind! :)

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Don't be shy about Blake Edwards and Henry Mancini's other TT title High Time either. I had a blast with the infernal thing...it just has a great 'vibe'...sweet and breezy. You can also see the nascent creative moves this team would later refine in their Pink Panther pictures.

WARNING: Once you've heard Mancini's brassy and infectious High Time title tune, you will have to have it surgically removed. ;)

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
High Time and Alamo Bay were always top of my to get list, so didn't need any convincing on those. They've been put off several times in favour of higher profile titles, so this sale is now the perfect excuse to finally grab them.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Alamo Bay and Lost Horizon are the only one's I don't have that I'm even slightly interested in, given I already own 90% of their titles and all the exclusive DVDs. This sale is probably when I'll finally take the plunge.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
EddieLarkin said:
High Time and Alamo Bay were always top of my to get list, so didn't need any convincing on those. They've been put off several times in favour of higher profile titles, so this sale is now the perfect excuse to finally grab them.
This is certainly a great opportunity to discover some of the wonderful TT titles that have just fallen through the cracks through absolutely no fault of their own. I mean, so much 'Net attention has been focused on all the mainstream stuff that everyone has already seen a dozen times before...given the best possible presentational kick here of course. But the abiding impression TT has left with this collector/fan has been the trove of delightful obscurities never before afforded a proper home video showcase. So this offer might finally correct some of the lingering, unfair distortion about this label's range of good work on behalf of vintage movie fans.

...and those isolated scores...and those wonderful Kirgo essays. There's a lot of savvy and sassy fun to be had among this "Gang of 36."

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Please give some love to RAPTURE. No one mentions it and it is one of TT's best releases. I saw it upon its initial run, and it haunted me ever since. I was so glad to see it again in such a flawless transfer.
Please, please, give it a shot.
My wife is already turning against TT because I've bought every single release, and now that the monthly output has increased, she's not happy (I am). Keep 'em coming and a
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Happy Birthday, TT! Thanks so many great blu-rays! I won't be able to partake of the sale, as I learned not to wait with TT releases that I want, so I own all the ones I'm interested in. I'm big on the pre-orders now. But what a great opportunity for people to pick up some bargains.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
bujaki said:
Please give some love to RAPTURE. No one mentions it and it is one of TT's best releases. I saw it upon its initial run, and it haunted me ever since. I was so glad to see it again in such a flawless transfer.
Absolutely Jose. Over the years, I've been on a similar mini-crusade (elsewhere more than here) trying to draw attention to TT's Blu-ray of Jean Renoir's Swamp Water. It just floors me how lost-in-the-vault titles like that and Rapture - neither given an N.A. DVD release - could still linger in stock after 2 1/2 years. Cinema at this level, afforded such high quality presentation, should have sold out l-o-n-g ago.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Another jewel, Steve, SWAMP WATER. I saw a 35mm of this and was stunned by its beauty. TT's rendition is not far behind. And it's a Renoir movie! Get going, guys, this and Rapture are all-around winners!

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Lucky you, Jose. I'd never seen Swamp Water before this TT Blu-ray, so I had no idea what to expect. After its final shots, I was dumbstruck...I just couldn't believe such fine golden era filmmaking had never even made it to DVD.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
TT, just a litle question.

5 titles at 1995 will come up to 99.75.
Will one need to purchase an additional title to get up to that $100 tag for the autograph
and what is the closest we can get without going over $100?

|:^)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks