Twilight Time to release The Way We Were

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Giovanni DN, May 14, 2013.

1. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Cinematographer

I've read that THE WAY WE WERE will also be released in Europe this year, and likely region-free like some other Columbia titles (TOOTSIE was just released in Germany).

2. Cinescott

Cinescott Supporting Actor

Scott
    Great news. Considering how well "The Blue Lagoon" looks, I have high hopes for TWWW. Keeping my eye on the TT pre-order page..............................

3. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    Not necessarily. Twilight Time's discs are not Zone locked and there is no reason the studios would give them advantages they don't give to European partners.

4. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Glad to see it coming out. But I do think they might be underestimating the size of Streisand's core fan base, the same group of people who make each of her albums debut in the Billboard top 10 without the help of any casual music buyers. Nobody in AGAIG has the rabidly devoted (in a good way) fans that Barbra does.

5. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    Also saw when I placed my order for this at Amazon's German website that they are releasing on the same day: "The Wild One", "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" and "The China Syndrome" in blu-ray from Sony!!! Pre-ordered those as well, since Sony's European blu-ray releases are region-free!!! :thumbsup:

JohnMor likes this.
  6. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    As Good as It Gets is region-free in Germany, as are many Sony releases. I suspect all the other Twilight Time titles being released by Sony in Germany will be region-free as well.
    65644_back.jpg

7. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    I can't tell but it doesn't look like the Commentary carried over to that BD does it?

8. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Great news on The China Syndrome. Love that film. Thanks for the heads-up.

9. BRAD1963

BRAD1963 Stunt Coordinator

BRAD
    So far I believe only the Horror / Sci Fi Twilight Time Blu ray's have sold out. It will be interesting to see which drama or comedy will be first. I'm getting this one without any hesitation.

10. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    Well wouldn't The Egyptian be your first sell out under those terms? On BD anyway. There are a few non-scifi DVD titles that sold out too.

11. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    I hope The Way We Were sells out really quickly as this will support the less popular titles (usually the ones I buy). I would like them to release The Eddy Duchin Story and The Fly. At least TT are region free unlike Criterion and latterly Olive. I wish Warners would let them have High Society.

12. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I wish Warners would let them have all the MGM musicals. At the rate Warners releases them, it'll be another 200 years before we get them all.

13. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

Sony is also releasing Oliver! in Germany on June 13. Seems to be a big day for Sony releases in Germany that Sony won't release in the USA.

14. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    Seeing that these titles are all region-free and playable on US hardware and reasonably-priced and easily obtainable through Amazon's German website, I don't see the problem here...I've already ordered all of these titles for myself and am looking forward to their arrival to my library next month!!!

15. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    We're actually assuming the June 13th releases will be region-free based on past releases, but there's no confirmation of that yet. That's why I will hold off pre-ordering until I know for sure. The prices are really good at Amazon.de, about $20 if you buy only one, but around $16 each if you buy four or more.

16. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    I must be the one person in North America who has never seen this film.

17. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    One of the two.

18. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    One and two of the three.

19. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

China Syndrome, Tootsie and Sleepless in Seattle(Insonnia D'Amore) are also being released in Italy per Amazon.it for about 8 Euros each plus shipping less VAT as opposed to Germany where they are about 14 Euros. The Way We Were, Oliver!, and Philadelphia, are about 10 Euros each in Italy. Anyone know if these are also supposed to be region free ? Shipping to US higher from Italy, 10 euros from Italy per order, about 3 euros per order from Germany.

Ordering 6 titles cost 73.41 Euros in Germany and 54.73 Euros in Italy for the same titles. These are the final costs after VAT removed and shipping charges added. Italy is significantly cheaper but of course it is unknown if the discs are region free.

20. umr1

umr1 Auditioning

I received the Italian BDs of Sleepless, The Way We Were, Tootsie, Oliver! And The China Syndrome. The audio quality of all of these is much better than the DVD's. the video quality varies considerably. I would rank The Way We Were and The China Syndrome as the best, but not great. Tootsie is next best followed by Sleepless. Oliver! is the worst of them. I don't regret buying any, but the video quality may disappoint some.