What's new

Twilight Time to release The Way We Were (1 Viewer)

Giovanni DN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Giovanni Di Natale
Someone asked them about The Way We Were on their FB page, and they replied with "It is scheduled on TT for November, 2013."

HiDefBear

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Odd, that Sony would license out such an obvously strong catalog title. I wouldn't be surprised if this became a fast sell-out title for Twilight.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
It will be interesting to see how the sales for this one turn out for this...I was expecting Sony or Criterion to release this, frankly!!! But the 3,000-copy limited-edition aspect of this release could be problematical as I think they're underestimating the demand!!!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
lukejosephchung said:
It will be interesting to see how the sales for this one turn out for this...I was expecting Sony or Criterion to release this, frankly!!! But the 3,000-copy limited-edition aspect of this release could be problematical as I think they're underestimating the demand!!!
Would that be the same predicted demand that never materialized for As Good As It Gets?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I think it will do very well - and there will be plenty of warning as to pre-orders, so I don't think anyone who's on the ball will lose out - and, of course, the predicted sell-out for As Good As It Gets, an Oscar-winning best picture with a major cast, has yet to come anywhere near selling out. It's really hard to predict.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
haineshisway said:
I think it will do very well - and there will be plenty of warning as to pre-orders, so I don't think anyone who's on the ball will lose out - and, of course, the predicted sell-out for As Good As It Gets, an Oscar-winning best picture with a major cast, has yet to come anywhere near selling out. It's really hard to predict.
I'm sure you meant Oscar-nominated Best Picture as Titanic won the award that year. It did win Oscars for its two lead actors, of course.

When I read about this today, I thought for a second that it made perfect sense that Twilight Time would release this to go along with the similarly appealing Steel Magnolias and As Good as It Gets that Twilight Time has already released.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This is a much better movie than Gets. Gets is an okay comedy with some drama in it with a big cast. Way is an all time great movie with an amazing two leads. (mnsho).I love the movie and its too bad I'll have to pay $35 to add to my movie library.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
With this release my Streisand collection will be complete, Funny Girl, Hello Dolly, What's Up Doc?, and now The Way We Were. If we see The Owl and the Pussycat or Funny Girl then I'll go for those also but they are not have toos. I do remember in another thread there were a lot of posters that swore that this title would not be given to Twilight, but to me it fit the Sony/Twlight program perfectly.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Matt Hough said:
I'm sure you meant Oscar-nominated Best Picture as Titanic won the award that year. It did win Oscars for its two lead actors, of course.

When I read about this today, I thought for a second that it made perfect sense that Twilight Time would release this to go along with the similarly appealing Steel Magnolias and As Good as It Gets that Twilight Time has already released.
For some reason I thought Titanic had sunk without a trace - but now I remember it won the damn Oscar. Then again, I thought As Good As It Gets was from an earlier year.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
haineshisway said:
I'll tell you what's easy to predict: those who pre-book early will receive their disc and those who leave it too late and find it's sold out will complain that Twilight Time's business model is garbage, that the whole limited edition idea is wrong and that the disc should have been mass produced and sold for $5.99!

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
I have no principle objections to the limited-edition retail business model Twilight Time uses...it just means I have to be more alert to when the window of opportunity on my favorite titles open and close...you snooze, you lose!!!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I think this is more in danger of a sell out because of Streisand. She has a devoted fan base who lap up everything, and are well informed about her releases.Nobody in As Good As It Gets has a similar base of fans for what is to me a superior film (even though I love Sydney Pollack, I don't consider this his best).I think with limited editions with limited distribution we are seeing that the key to success and fast sales is some sort of fan/cult/collector base OR the perception of same that motivates eBay scalper types. I think this is what has made it successful as a model for soundtracks, because you have a strong yet finite base for it with disposable income.I think that some titles may have sold more UNITS through traditional release, like Steel Magnolias, but would they bring in as much actual revenue being they would have a lower price, and with TTs mininal time/accounting headaches? probably not.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
TT doesn't have Tootsie. If Criterion do get it - that's the version you'll want as it will be presumably the first to have all the bonus material (commentary from LD and deleted scenes from DVD) united in one package.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Mark-P said:
That's where I'll be getting it, along with Philadelphia, Oliver!, As Good as it Gets, Tootsie and Sleepless in Seattle. Twilight Time is way overpriced.
Won't they be region locked to protect Twilight Time's exclusivity ?

In regards to limited editions not selling out, I always wonder how well known Twilight Time is to those who don't follow boards such as this. I also think that if Twilight Time sold items through Amazon, even with their high prices, everything would sell out. I would think most people who buy discs do so at Amazon, Target, Best Buy, or Walmart. If something isn't there they probably don't know about it being available. I don't have Netflix so I don't know if any Twilight Time releases have been available from them.

The DVD of The Way We Were is currently selling as part of a double feature with Steel Magnolias for $8.49 at Costco. That is about $4.25 a film and its probably been $5 by itself at Walmart. The question as always is a $30 blu ray worth the improved picture quality. For fans I am sure it is, for others maybe not.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
haineshisway said:
Would that be the same predicted demand that never materialized for As Good As It Gets?
At this point I have to put my hand up and admit that I thought AGAIG would sell out.

Or maybe it's just that I'm a pessimist. AGAIG is one of my favourite films, and I feared it would sell out, and I'd be stuck with the dilemma of knowing a BD existed, but that I'd have to risk shelling out 3 figures on eBay.

Steve W

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks