Twilight Time September/October 2012 Releases

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

The NotLD'90 DVD also includes a featurette which has some MPAA cut footage included, albeit sourced from a VHS transfer of the workprint.
    Vincent

2. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Hopefully Major Dundee makes it to the November/December wave. I believe it was part of last Decenber's interview shortly after TT revealed their new Sony partnership. It is the only one of their initial list of Sony licensed titles that has not been released yet.

3. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

The good folks at TT have informed us via Facebook that Major Dundee needed additional restoration work by Sony and that is the reason for the holdup. It is coming but TT hasn't announced a timetable.

4. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Ok, so it's sort of in the same boat as Fox's April Love. Good to know it wasn't lost in the shuffle.

5. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    You go girl!

6. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Yes, Steel Magnolias was swapped with it on the release calender.

7. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Mysterious Island and Journey to the Center of the Earth are down to fewer than 500 remaining so they may not be around for too much longer.

8. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

Thanks for the info. Do you think it is the price point or that the general public is just not that interested in these films as the reason that they have not sold out after several months. I mean 3,000 does not seem to be very much. I guess it makes sense for the studios to use this model if there is so little interest in these films on blu ray that they can't sell 3.000 copies immediately..

9. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    The studios have been telling us for several years now that catalogue titles have been much harder to move on blu compared to DVD. You also have to consider that unless you are a real home theatre geek following these boards, you may not even know they're available.

10. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Screenwriter

Robert Smith
    It is not so much the case that catalog titles are hard to move on Blu-ray as it is that the market for the titles in question has pretty much been exhausted by previous releases. Blu-ray does quite well on newly released titles, which demonstrates an interest in the format. Overall interest in Blu-ray is clearly still growing.
    Twilight Time releases have been very widely publicized. In addition, you can buy them through Amazon, since their distributor has an Amazon Marketplace store.
    I find it hard to believe that anyone really interested in a title these days will not consult Amazon.

11. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Supporting Actor

Going going... still going!
    -- Paula who would MUCH rather have a Blu-ray of Major Dundee than Steel Magnolias

12. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Yeah, the Twilight Time availability/distribution method does contribute some to lower sales since most average joes don't actively seek out specific titles online and often stumble upon titles they are interested while browsing. Amazon.com is one of the few online retail outlets that does list these, but even then they are only available through a select 3rd party seller for a comparatively expensive price. Not exacly consumer friendly compared to most Amazon home video products since even Flicker Alley titles are available direct from Amazon and other online retailers..

13. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Opinion just based on my circle of friends and family. I also said I'm sorry in advance:)

14. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    My last two lady friends couldn't see the difference either (or didn't care). I think men, in general, are more visually oriented than women. That's not to say there aren't women, like Paula, who are exceptions. I am 60 years old now and have been a film and video collector since I was about 12, and that's my observation. No woman I have ever known has said, "Wow, look at that picture!" when viewing a 35mm IB Tech collector film, but a lot of men have.

15. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I think the observation that home theater is a male dominated hobby is fairly accurate. There are always exceptions to the majority, of course.

16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The Tom Savini Night of the Living Dead remake is way underrated, IMHO. I am definitely in for that one.

17. Roger Cee

Roger Cee Stunt Coordinator

Duplicate

18. Roger Cee

Duplicate

19. Roger Cee

Duplicate

20. Roger Cee

No matter what TT says, the fact that their titles are only available through Screen Archives and Amazon definitely hurts sales, not to mention they still don't have a website. Also, why do all 3000 copies of a title have to sell out either immediately or within a few months? What's so bad if it takes 2 years and they eventually do? If they sell out right away, then they sold themselves short and could have sold more. It also doesn't help that certain highly desirable titles such as THE INCIDENT and SHOCK TREATMENT (L.Bacall) are mentioned and then cancelled because the prints supposedly aren't good enough. ANY 16:9 or widescreen versions would be good enough for me! I bought a few of their releases but these 2 I wanted the most. Now all I can hope for is that Fox releases them themselves in their new MOD program. /quote]