What's new

Twilight Time joins forces with Sony Pictures to release BD editions of classic Columbia Titles (1 Viewer)

michael deakin

Deceased Member
Real Name
Michael Charles Deakin
Total cost of "Mysterious Island" to the U.K would be $57.05. Screen Archives will not replace any lost or damaged discs to the U.K through normal postage, So you have to use registered post which is a additional $15. That's too rich for my blood.

Hal F

Stunt Coordinator
michael deakin said:
Total cost of "Mysterious Island" to the U.K would be $57.05. Screen Archives will not replace any lost or damaged discs to the U.K through normal postage, So you have to use registered post which is a additional $15. That's too rich for my blood.
That's about 36 GBP. I thought you Brits liked buying American because of the great exchange rate. Perhaps if Mysterious Island does well and sells out quickly Sony will reconsider and release it at a much lower price. Leastways, I hope that happens. Hate to see people not being able to get this blu ray because it is higher than what they want to spend.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Hal F said:
That's about 36 GBP. I thought you Brits liked buying American because of the great exchange rate. Perhaps if Mysterious Island does well and sells out quickly Sony will reconsider and release it at a much lower price. Leastways, I hope that happens. Hate to see people not being able to get this blu ray because it is higher than what they want to spend.
It was a great exchange rate a couple of years ago, $2 = £1. I've bought a great many soundtracks from SAE in the last 12 years, & none have ever gone astray, so I wouldn't bother to pay the extra. I'm thinking I'll pass, or at least read a review or two first, & if it's gone, it's gone, but I don't think so. I think the high asking price means it will hang about for a while. The Egyptian is still not sold out.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
February's Fox title has been revealed as Swamp Water (1941) Blu-ray only

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
JoHud said:
February's Fox title has been revealed as Swamp Water (1941) Blu-ray only
What a strange choice to release on Blu-ray. I bought the Australian Fox DVD version for $13 over 5 years ago.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
It's got some gorgeous scenes, should look very nice. Good movie, although I have no compulsion to buy it.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I haven't seen it, let alone heard of it. Yet the cast alone has already sold it to me :D

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Same here! One look at that poster art and the names, and I think something would have to be horribly, unexpectedly wrong with it to cause it not to be a winner.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

Same here! One look at that poster art and the names, and I think something would have to be horribly, unexpectedly wrong with it to cause it not to be a winner.

It seems to have another name and also gets good marks on IMDB, maybe thats the UK title.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034251/

A 7.2 out of 10, a classic film from 1941 and there aren't enough older films on blu ray so i think its good that its being released.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Could not resist sharing these four promotional ads from the November 8, 1941 Box Office Mag. They went all out in those days to promote a film. I mean even sending live baby alligators to critics. Wonder what the not said - "If you don't like our picture here is something that will eat you. LOL

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
So funny that Dana Andrews gets 4th billing when he's inarguably the center of the film. Brennan's in it for maybe 15-20 minutes, although it is one of his finest performances (i.e., not being his usual "intensely annoying old coot").

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I'm fairly sure Brennan got top billing due to his winning the Academy Award for his performance in "The Westerner" the year prior. I agree that I prefer his performances before he was typecast.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Martin Teller

So funny that Dana Andrews gets 4th billing when he's inarguably the center of the film. Brennan's in it for maybe 15-20 minutes, although it is one of his finest performances (i.e., not being his usual "intensely annoying old coot").

Andrews was at the beginning of his film career as his star was still rising. Let's remember that Ox-Box Incident, Ball of Fire and Laura came after this film.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
Robert Crawford said:
Andrews was at the beginning of his film career as his star was still rising.  Let's remember that Ox-Box Incident, Ball of Fire and Laura came after this film. 

Oh don't get me wrong, I know why they did it. I just think it's amusing (and pretty damn misleading).

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Seems the Fright Night pre-order launch crashed the site server :( Called to try and order over the phone and SAE seems overwhelmed by Fright Night orders and told me to try again tomorrow. Unusual for Twilight Time, though I agree with the assessment I was given that there's still "plenty" and not to expect a sell-out in such a short timespan. Their Facebook page has gotten more activity than I have seen before, though its mostly frustration.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My 500th post at this site.

I just ordered Fright Night at screen archives, i hope the expense is worth it, i have fond memories of seeing this back in the eighties, but i gotta say that this is costing me a lot for a blu ray release, in fact its the most i have ever paid for one, $52 which is approx £32 inc registered delivery, registered is costing me a whopping additional $15 but they say a lot of goods go missing when shipped to the UK and without the registered they will not entertain any lost post enquiries, so its safer to go registered.

The price would be a lot more reasonable to me without the registered post option, i have done online shopping from a number of sites in the USA, nothing has ever went missing before but that warning scared me into paying extra.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks