What's new

Twilight Time indicates they will re-license some sold-out titles. BREAKING! (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Twilight Time said:
David, you are 100% incorrect.
I am sorry I posted a false statement.Would you care to elaborate on where I went wrong.I didn't think every word of every sentence I wrote was invalid, but it is your company, so must know best.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"So if a studio wants more than 50k-60k, it will probably be rejected, regardless of quality."It's good to have some fresh perspective to this discussion, thanks for that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jari K said:
"So if a studio wants more than 50k-60k, it will probably be rejected, regardless of quality."It's good to have some fresh perspective to this discussion, thanks for that.
But, it's a wrong assumption.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
David Weicker said:
I am sorry I posted a false statement.Would you care to elaborate on where I went wrong.I didn't think every word of every sentence I wrote was invalid, but it is your company, so must know best.
I'm sure no company is going to provide the sort of financial figures you might like to have. I'd suggest that licensing costs are far more variable than you suggest and that manufacturing/packaging costs, SAE discount etc are considerably more than you imply. But I look forward to TT saying I'm 100% incorrect as well :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David Weicker said:
David, do you really expect a company to go into financial details on a public forum? He stated you were incorrect, but he's not going to elaborate as I wouldn't either as a businessman. That's not good business!

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Robert Crawford said:
David, do you really expect a company to go into financial details on a public forum? He stated you were incorrect, but he's not going to elaborate as I wouldn't either as a businessman. That's not good business!
In Nick Redman's interview, he went into some pretty deep financial details, including the 2000 sold as being a breakeven point in most instances. So, some of David's assumptions are 100% accurate. Using the 2000 breakeven point stated by TT, if you do the math based on 2000 x $29.95 selling price ($60,000), it's not hard to guess that the $50-60K number is pretty close to the max they could pay and still hope to make a profit. I know there are a lot of variables but I'd bet that number is pretty close since we know that $90K is their max gross revenue on each title (3000 x 29.95), unless they are operating as a non-profit or unless some titles are loss-leaders.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Keith Cobby said:
The extras are nice to have but at this stage of the format I am happy to just get the film in as good a state as possible. I look at the insert but have not and probably will never listen to the isolated score.
+100. I have zero interest in extras, never watch them or listen to them. Only occasionally will I read the booklet, as most of these films I've seen and read so much about over the years, I really don't see the need. Give me the film in best possible condition in a good case with good artwork, that's all I want.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
It really doesn't pay to play this guessing game with TT's figures. There is quite likely to be cross-subsidies in effect - for example TT might license one movie at $90,000 and another at $30,000 giving an average license fee of $60,000. So I think the implication is that David's statement that once any movie goes above a $60,000 licensing fee that it will be rejected by TT is 100% wrong.Basically from observation we can only really tell that TT's primary determining factors in deciding to release a title are (a) whether it is a title they want to release, and (b) whether it is of appropriate quality.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I suppose I just feel like people have forgotten the days of Laserdisc when $60 for just the film was common. The simple fact is that TT does a good job releasing HD transfers of films that the studios could care less about. If you love the film, the money is worth it. If it isn't that important to you, then nobody is forcing you to purchase it. $30 is still less than it costs to take a family of four to the movies these days.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
atfree said:
+100. I have zero interest in extras, never watch them or listen to them. Only occasionally will I read the booklet, as most of these films I've seen and read so much about over the years, I really don't see the need. Give me the film in best possible condition in a good case with good artwork, that's all I want.
However, there are those like me that do watch and listen to them.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
It amazes me that we keep trying to unravel the "mystery" of Twilight Time and their business plan. It's really none of our business. I don't care how much it costs to license a title or the other costs, such as packaging, replication, distribution, etc. I'm just glad to have a title I want.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It seems like every TT thread always goes back to the price tag. :rolleyes: I'm sick of it because it's non-value added to the membership as nothing is going to change regarding their price structure. We just keep rehashing the same old arguments, over and over again without any resolution.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
atfree said:
Only occasionally will I read the booklet, as most of these films I've seen and read so much about over the years, I really don't see the need.
After going to the lengths of providing added value in the form of notes and a booklet It must be very disheartening for TT to read that comment. If it's one thing I absolutely enjoy having included, it's a physical booklet along with the disc. Isn't that what the left hand side of the disc case with clips is for? And is it really such an effort to read TT's notes? They take me less than 5 minutes and regardless as to how well I know I film it's always interesting to have someone's additional take on it.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Charles Smith said:
Seriously. Printed matter with essays and whatnot are a HUGE added value to TT, Criterion, and all other such releases.
I agree completely. The essays are not filled so much with facts as they are filled with the author's unique perspective, which oftens causes one to look at the movie in a completely different light. Often, with titles for which my interest is rather marginal, knowing that booklet is included makes the difference between tossing it into the sales cart along with the other must-haves or passing it by.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Robert Crawford said:
I never expected any type of financial response. It was the "100% incorrect" comment that I felt was over the top.I was merely stating that the price a studio requested for a title was one of the factors in deciding whether to accept/reject.As for the numbers I listed, 90k in maximum revenue is an undeniable fact (ok. technically $89,850). The 60k in expenses came from a prior TT posting where they stated they had to sell about 2/3 before a title turned a profit.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Robert Crawford said:
However, there are those like me that do watch and listen to them.
Oh, I agree totally that many people do. Just not for me. And for the other poster who wrote "And is it really such an effort to read TT's notes? They take me less than 5 minutes......"......it's MY 5 minutes and I'm not compelled to read TT notes any more than I'm compelled to read the back of the cereal box when I eat my breakfast. I realize it's someones job to write what's on the back of the cereal box and maybe if I don't read it I'm devaluing their work but I'm not really concerned. Also, if my interest is marginal, a printed booklet or isolated score won't make change my mind. Most of these films I've already seen on TV/VHS/DVD anyway over my 51 years, so my mind is already made up whether I'm interested or not. If it's something I've haven't seen (rare), I'll research it myself and make a purchase decision. But an extra on the disc or in the case would never be a deciding factor on whether I purchase or not. I'm not collecting for re-sale/future value, simply my own pleasure in owning the films I love on BD, which is probably the last physical format on which we'll see many of these films so booklets, etc aren't much of an interest for me personally. To each his own.

Bottomline, in my PERSONAL view, if the extra $10-15 I pay for TT releases is simply for the extras, I'd be totally happy paying $10-15 less for a good transfer in a good case with good artwork. To each his own.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Persianimmortal said:
If you want to know where your money is going when you buy a TT title, it's in the quality of the release itself. I can actually breathe a sigh of relief each time I find out that TT has got the rights to a movie I like because I know that unlike certain other boutique providers, they actually have a sense of pride in their output and won't release anything that's shoddy. That alone is worth a premium price.
That statement is questionable, i have seen several posters say it, i was disappointed with Zulu, edge enhancement like that should NEVER EVER be seen on any blu ray release, that is why i asked if there is a chance of a new film scan.

Every label has a few titles that could be better but i find edge enhancement halo's very objectionable, a lot of people don't notice those things, but it takes me right out of the film, especially when said film is an epic with great background scenery.

I have absolutely no problem with TT re-licensing quality looking titles, it's a win-win situation for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks