Twilight Time Announces Releases Sept/Oct/Nov, 2013

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    My Cousin Rachel is one of my favourite films. I think I enjoy it even more than Rebecca.I'd love a Blu-ray release and would buy it in an instant.

2. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Any possibility Twilight Time could do something with John Huston's comedy BEAT THE DEVIL ? United Artists distributed it theatrically in 1953, but Columbia had the home video rights for a long time. Don't know who controls the film now. TCM airs a lovely print every couple of years.

BeatTheDevil-1953-UA-one.jpg

JoHud likes this.
  3. davidHartzog

davidHartzog Cinematographer
    Supporter

John smith
    Watched TT's excellent Bluray transfer of The Only Game on Town, a somewhat underrated George Stevens film, with Taylor and Beatty, both at their best.

4. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    Isn't "Beat the Devil" in Public Domain purgatory?

5. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    Mine's on the way! Can't wait!

6. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

I don't know. There are many poor-quality public-domain editions being sold, but that could be based on a misunderstanding.

TCM has an excellent transfer that blows the public-domain DVD's away.

7. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Does Twilight Time only have a three year licence for the films from Sony, if so that means that Fright Night, as one example, could be back on sale as early as Xmas 2014, is that correct or am i wrong. ?

8. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    correct

FoxyMulder likes this.
  9. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

A related question is what happens to the unsold discs? Do they revert back to Sony or does TT keep them until they are sold out?

10. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    For those who chose the Amazon.de route for Oliver! and The Way We Were, Oliver! is confirmed to be region A/B/C. It cost me US$18, shipped. The Way We Were, which originally had a release date of Tuesday slipped to October 17, still almost a month before the TT release.

11. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    I also have "Sleepless In Seattle", "The Wild One", "The China Syndrome" and "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?" being shipped to me via this method...looking forward to checking of these out when they arrive next week!!!

12. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    I can understand that Andrew. This movie was new to me and something of a revelation...top tier gothic/mystery/romance storytelling with impeccable B&W production values, sourced from an element still in very nice, clearly underused condition.

So beats me why Fox never got around to it themselves on either DVD or Blu-ray - someone at the studio must have evaluated its video potential strictly on its original boxoffice performance, rather than quality of the work itself. Released in '52, just prior to the introduction of Deluxe color and 'Scope, My Cousin Rachel did not do particularly well theatrically, but as a kind of 'last hurrah' for the studio's vintage B&W production machinery, it was just about as good as the classic monochrome Academy form would get in American film:

[​IMG]

No doubt many have resisted this TT DVD edition simply because it's in SD. Valid enough in 2011 when it was released, and even more so now. And yet like you, I'd gladly buy it again on Blu-ray simply because it's such a shrewdly conceived and richly executed golden era style picture. In terms of its filmmaking craft, no poor cousin to Du Maurier's Rebecca at all, and perhaps even a classic as well when viewed under its own light...

Andrew Budgell likes this.
  13. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    For those (with multi-region capabilities) who missed out on "My Cousin Rachel" from Twilight Time, you can check out the DVDs recently released in the UK and Australia.... :)

14. SeanAx

SeanAx Stunt Coordinator

Sean Axmaker
    "Drums Along the Mohawk" was restored by The Film Foundation a couple of years ago. The print (35mm) that I saw glowed. It was beautiful! I can only assume that Twilight Time will be using that restoration for their Blu-ray. Given their track record, this could be one of the discs of the year.

JoHud likes this.
  15. Virgoan

Virgoan Second Unit

Ron Pulliam
    And at a much higher cost!

16. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt Second Unit

I would love to finally see a proper release for Beat the Devil. The existing editions feature no restoration and are apparently all missing footage of a particular scene long unavailable (perhaps never available) on home video. It would be great for that to be rectified as Devil is one of the few "A" Bogarts still waiting to be done right.

And yes, it's in the public domain.

17. McCrutchy

McCrutchy Second Unit

Sean
    I would fully expect so. TT have been porting extras for a while now, and they were personally involved in the extras for Fox's Jane Eyre DVD:
    • Commentary by Welles biographer Joseph McBride and actress Margaret O'Brien
    • Commentary by Nick Redman, Steven Smith and Julie Kirgo
    • Isolated Score
    • Featurette: Locked in the Tower: the Men Behind Jane Eyre
    So unless the featurette was produced by a third party, all of the Fox DVD extras are pretty much guaranteed to be on the TT Blu-ray.
    Personally, I saw this version of Jane Eyre when I was very young, and I fell in love with it, so I'll probably have to pick this one up, since Fox doesn't seem to be in a hurry to get their titles out internationally.

18. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    This was shown in HD on one of the UK TV stations recently and it looked fabulous.

19. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

I got The Way We Were from Amazon.it and can confirm it plays in Region A (North America). When purchased with six other Sony blu rays it cost about $10 per film.

20. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    Thanks for the report on this title...I've ordered multiple copies of this for myself and friends who are big fans of Barbra and this classic tearjerker!!!