Twilight Time Announces Releases Sept/Oct/Nov, 2013

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Mindwarp from Twilight is laughable. Much more suited for Scream Factory. I look forward to watching people on here freaking out when it sells out and there's still copies of Major Dundee for sale... :D

2. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

The summer release list is much stronger IMHO; but I'm happy that some folks are finding titles that hold their interest.

- Walter.

3. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    Drums along the Mohawk is essential for me. My first Twilight Time purchase.

4. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    Anyone have any knowledge regarding whether the extras from Jane Eyre will be ported over?

5. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Drums Along the Mohawk, The Way We Were, Oliver! and Jane Eyre are all definite buys for me.

6. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    Same four for me!

7. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Have you all seen THE OTHER? It's a wonderful adaptation of Thomas Tryon's horror novel, directed by Richard (TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD) Mulligan. Wonderful (albeit short) score by Jerry Goldsmith, which I assume will isolated. This is a definite for me.

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I found out Philadelphia had a German release right after I got the Twilight Time one. So, I'm practicing my German! I've already ordered Tootsie....

lukejosephchung likes this.
  9. Lromero1396

Lromero1396 Supporting Actor

I'm quite surprised that Drums, being a John Ford film, was sent to Twilight. Perhaps the elements are in poor shape. I guess this rules out any chance of a complete John Ford boxed set on blu; a fact which greatly disappoints me. Jane Eyre must have similar element problems. I mean, a film with Joan Fontaine and Orson Welles plus Liz Taylor with a Bernard Herrmann score would be good to have a wide release of. But, alas...

Boy, I was shocked to see Fox hand off Leave Her to Heaven, now Drums Along the Mohawk? What's next? I dread their next announcement...

10. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    The Danish BD has excellent sharpness and color but black crush in many scenes, as I mentioned earlier. If they can tame that, they will have a very nice looking Blu-ray.

Billy Batson likes this.
  11. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    I'm not sure of one release, except VIOLENT SATURDAY, where Fox gave Twilight poor elements. It has been said that Twilight uses elements that are provided them by Fox and Sony and do not preform any restoration. I would guess Fox worked on those elements and due to the showing in the poll decided to give it to Twilight.

12. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    I haven't seen it, but I think I'm going to check it out. It's an "almost" definite fifth title for me out of this set.

13. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    The source film element was actually pretty darn good ahollis, just transferred in legacy SD letterboxed form, which unfortunately had to be both upscaled and zoomed for a 16x9 HDTV...a twin handicap. Keep in mind though that this was one of TT's earliest DVD-only releases, circa early '11, before they had even released their first Blu-ray, so that was just the best that Fox had available at the time.

IIRC, TT recently noted in passing on FB that Violent Saturday is one of their legacy DVD-only titles which they'd eventually like to take to Blu...especially now that a better HD transfer exists. So just a case of the timing vis-à-vis that original DVD release; nothing shoddy about the work Fox did with the source element, or what TT did with the encoding and IST transfer.

14. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    The Other is a classically written, staged, performed, shot, and scored psychological 'mood piece' John...at once creepy, disquieting, tragic, and yet also somehow bittersweet nostalgic.

Even though most would call this a 'horror' film, which I guess technically it is, there seems something else going on with Robert Mulligan's quietly assured filmmaking here. Somehow the word 'horror' just doesn't seem adequate to describe its cumulative effect ...it feels richer...more resonant...vaguely reminiscent of Jack Clayton's The Innocents or maybe Peter Medak's The Changeling in terms of style and tone.

And I cannot recommend Jerry Goldsmith's hauntingly beautiful score strongly enough.

Richard--W likes this.
  15. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Right now, I only have three of those titles I need to buy once they become available Drums Along the Mohawk, Jane Eyre and probably The Way We Were with the latter for sentimental reasons.

16. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    I've seen Drums Along The Mohawk in HD on the telly, & it had the same black crush, esp. in interiors, anyone wearing something dark(ish), well it's just black. You get the idea of what it could look like on some exteriors. I can't see the TT release being any different, I suppose that's the only element Fox has got. It's a good western, but I think, minor Ford.

17. mac1165

mac1165 Auditioning

Twilight Time has released some great titles, but I simply cannot afford to purchase all of those in which I'm interested. Has anyone ever seen these titles available for rent? Netflix and Blockbuster do not carry any of them.

18. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    Not sure what you are saying., I was defending Twilight Time from an earlier post saying that Fox is giving them poor elements of films instead of releasing them themselves. Which in fact Fox and Sony are sending outstanding transfers.

VIOLET SATURDAY was at the beginning of the program and as the owners of Twilight have indicated, it was a learning curve. IMHO you do not release widescreen title unless it is anamorphic. To me it is a poor transfer and element. If it is released in Blu correctly then I will purchase it.

19. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    Not sure what you are saying., I was defending Twilight Time from an earlier post saying that Fox is giving them poor elements of films instead of releasing them themselves. Which in fact Fox and Sony are sending outstanding transfers.

VIOLET SATURDAY was at the beginning of the program and as the owners of Twilight have indicated, it was a learning curve. IMHO you do not release widescreen title unless it is anamorphic. To me it is a poor transfer and element. If it is released in Blu correctly then I will purchase it.

20. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Don't forget that at least Oliver! and The Way We Were are available from Amazon.de next week, for around $18 apiece. I'm expecting them to be region free like Tootsie, which I got a couple of weeks ago.