What's new

Twilight Time Announces Nov/Dec 2012 Releases (1 Viewer)

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
ahollis said:
 WAC has already said that just because they release a title in their MOD program does not mean it will never see a Blu-ray pressing and they used VICTOR/VICTORIA as an example.] 

--------------------
I'm curious - do you remember where someone from the WB Archive used VICTOR/VICTORIA as an example of something that might get a BD pressing? It's something I'd really like to have happen and I don't remember ever hearing this before.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I too was a Best Buy fan and frequent customer, but have pretty much given up on them for packaged media. The problems began when they started grouping things by genre, and I could never figure out how they chose some of the genres. Then the DVD/Blu-Ray department kept shrinking. Now I only go there if I need some cables or headphones or something, and even then it is annoying because there are dozens of "geeks" and other salesmen wandering around with nothing to do, yet they only have two people at the front checkout, so you have to wait in line even midday midweek. I don't understand stores that do their best to chase customers away.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
On their Facebook page, someone bemoaned the fact that Unsinkable Molly Brown and others went MOD so they asked if going MOD meant there would not be a Blu-ray. WAC had just release VICTOR/VICTORIA on MOD and said that just because they released V/V and others on MOD did not mean that if the regular Home Video Department thought it would work, then they would release the title on Blu-ray. That was not an announcement, but a statement that Blu-rays were not out of the question for titles that the WAC had released. This remark was not long ago.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
RichMurphy said:
I too was a Best Buy fan and frequent customer, but have pretty much given up on them for packaged media. The problems began when they started grouping things by genre, and I could never figure out how they chose some of the genres. Then the DVD/Blu-Ray department kept shrinking. Now I only go there if I need some cables or headphones or something, and even then it is annoying because there are dozens of "geeks" and other salesmen wandering around with nothing to do, yet they only have two people at the front checkout, so you have to wait in line even midday midweek. I don't understand stores that do their best to chase customers away.
At my two local stores, they categorize all the dvds by genre and then alphabetically. Over on bluray, there's only four categories: Childrens, 3D, TV shows, and movies. They have all non-kids movies together, regardless of genre.
I haven't stopped shopping there; I've slowed down simply because I can honestly find better deals online half the time.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'm equally skeptical, but you just never know. I've been amazed at seeing the Three Stooges box in two Best Buys, and the older Abbott & Costello "chest" in two or three Barnes & Nobles.....but all priced exorbitantly compared to what we cognoscenti have paid for them.

And yet, at Best Buy these past couple of weeks, there are maybe a dozen new catalog (but very popular) titles that I know won't ever see the light of day there. The Marilyn Monroes, singles or set. The Island of Dr. Moreau (which would seem to fit in with two-thirds of what they like to carry). And yet (again), they carry a dozen or more Criterion Blu-rays, some of the titles fairly esoteric, all priced at $30 instead of $40...

There is NO rhyme or reason to it.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by bryan4999 /t/322870/twilight-time-announces-nov-dec-2012-releases/30#post_3959965
You make a good point, but it does seem to me that the people who browse at Walmart or glance through the new releases on amazon are not the same people who go out of their way to search for and pay a bit more for Twilight Time releases. No doubt Sony (and all the others) has a whole division devoted to studying sales trends and that they are absolutley correct, I am just surprised to see these bigger titles released in small inventory lots on a website targeted mostly at collectors and serious afficionados. What it comes down to for me is the fear that some films from other studios, however popular in their day and well thought of in the present day, will never get blu-ray releases. For example, VICTOR/VICTORIA is now a Warner MOD. Hopefully, it will be like LOST HORIZON and show up on blu-ray in some fashion, but if it has already been relegated to MOD they must have run their statistics and decided that was the best plan.
By now most people who want to own "Victor/Victoria" on DVD probably purchased it years ago. The MOD is for the new comers. WB stop pressing the DVDs

"Victor/Victoria" will most likely see a Blu-ray release. Maybe at year's end since it's the 30th anniversary year and WB is high on anniveraries (even when the miss them)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Chas in CT /t/322870/twilight-time-announces-nov-dec-2012-releases/30#post_3960100
And yet, at Best Buy these past couple of weeks, there are maybe a dozen new catalog (but very popular) titles that I know won't ever see the light of day there. The Marilyn Monroes, singles or set. The Island of Dr. Moreau (which would seem to fit in with two-thirds of what they like to carry). And yet (again), they carry a dozen or more Criterion Blu-rays, some of the titles fairly esoteric, all priced at $30 instead of $40...

There is NO rhyme or reason to it.

It was weird here, but Best Buy never did not carry the Blu of GODZILLA, but I have seen Harold and Maude on the self along with a several of the Chaplin's. It almost seemed to me the Best Buy buyer is trying to find titles that won't mass sell.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
It makes perfect sense for older catalog titles to not be reissued on DVD but to come out on Blu-ray. It doesn't bother me at all that Victor/Victoria just went MOD at WAC.
1. Titles like Victor/Victoria have been issues multiple times on SD formats. People who want them have already bought them. My current holding is the LD, which I never replaced with DVD.
2. People who are serious about catalog have largely already moved to Blu-ray. It is interesting to note that TT started with DVD's of titles like Fate is the Hunter (an excellent film and DVD BTW) but are now exclusively pressing Blu-ray disks. DVD's time in the sun is over.
3. An important event will be when we have MOD Blu-ray available. Warners is working on this.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
rsmithjr said:
It makes perfect sense for older catalog titles to not be reissued on DVD but to come out on Blu-ray. It doesn't bother me at all that Victor/Victoria just went MOD at WAC.
1. Titles like Victor/Victoria have been issues multiple times on SD formats. People who want them have already bought them. My current holding is the LD, which I never replaced with DVD.
2. People who are serious about catalog have largely already moved to Blu-ray. It is interesting to note that TT started with DVD's of titles like Fate is the Hunter (an excellent film and DVD BTW) but are now exclusively pressing Blu-ray disks. DVD's time in the sun is over.
3. An important event will be when we have MOD Blu-ray available. Warners is working on this.
I still buy DVDs when that is all that is available of things I really like (MOD DVDs, the most recent Warner Errol Flynn set, TV series, et al); but I would rather get new films on Blu-ray. I bought My Cousin Rachel on DVD from TT, but would have preferred a Blu-ray option.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
ahollis said:
On their Facebook page, someone bemoaned the fact that Unsinkable Molly Brown and others went MOD so they asked if going MOD meant there would not be a Blu-ray.  WAC had just release VICTOR/VICTORIA on MOD and said that just because they released V/V and others on MOD did not mean that if the regular Home Video Department thought it would work, then they would release the title on Blu-ray.  That was not an announcement, but a statement that Blu-rays were not out of the question for titles that the WAC had released.  This remark was not long ago. 
Thanks so much, Allen - I guess I should follow their Facebook page more closely.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
David_B_K said:
I still buy DVDs when that is all that is available of things I really like (MOD DVDs, the most recent Warner Errol Flynn set, TV series, et al); but I would rather get new films on Blu-ray. I bought My Cousin Rachel on DVD from TT, but would have preferred a Blu-ray option.
I would prefer almost everything on Blu-ray.
Granted, a lot of older films and TV shows will not see a huge gain, but every little bit helps.
I didn't think that The Twilight Zone would really merit Blu-ray treatment but it is enough better that I would prefer the Blu-ray (although probably not to repurchase).
Wouldn't you prefer Error Flynn on Blu-ray to DVD?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Some of the earlier Twilight Time DVD titles licensed by Fox may not have had HD transfers available. Violent Saturday is an obvious example. Violent Saturday excepted, they were all very good SD transfers.
However, the popularity of blu-ray helps urge higher quality control and better transfers for titles. We can hope Twilight Time's blu-rays are urging Fox to remaster more of its Cinemascope titles to HD in the near future.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
rsmithjr said:
I would prefer almost everything on Blu-ray.
Wouldn't you prefer Error Flynn on Blu-ray to DVD?
Yes, I merely meant that the only reason I bought Flynn's "Adventure Films" set on DVD was because that was all that was offered. Thus far I think the only Flynn on blu-ray is Robin Hood. As to TV shows, I doubt I'd rebuy any I already have on DVD; and if the TV show was shot on video in SD, I'd see no reason to get a Blu-ray version if one existed.
I'd rebuy all of Flynn's films on Blu-ray.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Mentioning "Victor/Victoria" now as a MOD dvd since most people would have purchased them years ago as a 'proper' dvd, I suspect new stock on dvd of a heap of catalog titles, particularly those released 10+ years ago originally, will also be MOD.
Just noticed that for the very first time I can remember, "Marty" on dvd is out of print and going for slightly big bucks on Amazon, sadly because of Ernest Borgnine's recent death, but also could it be that the movie is going to now be rereleased on bluray with extras?
I think what some have stated already is correct -- for anyone wanting new copies of an old title, on dvd anyway, they'll be available as a MOD release -- and everything else, straight to bluray (possibly replacing the old 'straight to dvd' line)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR (1955) BLU-RAY - Nov 13th
BONJOUR TRISTESSE (1958) BLU-RAY - Nov 13th
BELOVED INFIDEL (1959) BLU-RAY - Dec 11th
THE BLUE LAGOON (1980) BLU-RAY - Dec 11th
LOST HORIZON (1973) BLU-RAY - Dec 11th
What!?
No Peckinpah?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by ajabrams /t/322870/twilight-time-announces-nov-dec-2012-releases/30#post_3960309
Thanks so much, Allen - I guess I should follow their Facebook page more closely.
It is hard at time to follow them for their comments on questions, sometimes gets hidden if there are a several responses to a question. I find my self constantly going through all of the comments and find gems that really tell a bit more information than I think WAC wants to give.

Since the MOD of LOST HORIZON used such an excellent transfer, I will be per-ordering this on the first day.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Never thought I'd see "Lost Horizon" on Blu. I can finally retire the LaserDisc-never got around to ordering the MOD. Twilight should release "No Down Payment." It showed on one of the HD channels and it looked great so the source material should be fine.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
but AS GOOD AS IT GETS has not hit the low inventory mark yet, so it appears that Sony was correct in a low want for this in Blu.
No, what it means is that the market for this title isn't going to support a $30 price tier, which I would say is true of 99% of catalog titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks