What's new

Twilight Time announces Blu-ray releases March-June 2013 (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
ahollis said:
I thought Sony had already worked on that. At least in the 1776 thread I believe it indicated that for they had a tentative time frame for release.
Work was planned but not begun.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
As to Mark's suggestion, sign me up immediately for a BD of FRANCIS OF ASSISI, a wonderful colorful Michael Curtiz widescreen classic. This and PRINCE OF PLAYERS, along with THE STORY OF RUTH, would rock my world! Still hoping a nice print of SODOM AND GOMORRAH is uncovered, perhaps a dubbed one from Italy or Germany, and we will still see it in blu-ray some day from TT.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Ronald Epstein said:
MAJOR DUNDEE (1965) BLU-RAY (2-disc set) - April 9th HARD TIMES (1975) BLU-RAY - June 11th THE DRIVER (1978) BLU-RAY - June 11th
The Peckinpah film is eagerly anticipated and most welcome. It's going to look spectacular, I know it is. Good writing is important to me, and HARD TIMES and THE DRIVER are extremely well-written films. Hill was writing good scripts before he started directing them. THE GETAWAY (1973) and the under-rated THE THIEF WHO CAME TO DINNER (1973) for example. I love the evocation of 1930s New Orleans in HARD TIMES, the overall melancholy tone of the film, and the weary resignation Charles Bronson invests into his drifter with the flat knuckles. This is one film in which Bronson feels the moment he's in. His wife Jill Ireland always put a light in his eyes when they worked together, and Hill's script provides them with an interaction they can really sink their teeth into. I especially enjoy the film for their performances. THE DRIVER is an exercise in austere minimalism seemingly inspired by the French crime thrillers of Jean-Pierre Melville. Hill is more than up to the challenge. The film takes place almost entirely at night. The neo-noir photography of downtown L.A. with its street lamps and store fronts and parking tiers is reason enough to buy the blu-ray. Hasn't Hill screened an extended version at a film festival(s)? Apparently there's an entire subplot involving an additional character that's been cut from the film. I wonder which version Twilight Time is bringing to blu-ray.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Eric Vedowski
Regarding At Long Last Love, don't know if this story/link has been posted here already:
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/peter-bogdanovich-screens-new-cut-of-at-long-last-love-and-tells-story-behind-it
also Ebert's review is worth reading:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19750101/REVIEWS/501010302/1023
One thing I noticed about the "It Ain't Etiquette" number is the way the crowd reacts to Eileen and Cybill. Everyone just stops cold to watch and react almost the same way one would if this happened in the real world.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Ed Lachmann said:
As to Mark's suggestion, sign me up immediately for a BD of FRANCIS OF ASSISI, a wonderful colorful Michael Curtiz widescreen classic. This and PRINCE OF PLAYERS, along with THE STORY OF RUTH, would rock my world! Still hoping a nice print of SODOM AND GOMORRAH is uncovered, perhaps a dubbed one from Italy or Germany, and we will still see it in blu-ray some day from TT.
Ed David and Bathsheba too which has a new soundtrack from Screen Archives but man if Fox would just look at restoring Prince of Players if TT cannot. Like one person said not a box office hit but a great movie which with the Lincoln thing would now be the time.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
MatthewA said:
One thing I noticed about the "It Ain't Etiquette" number is the way the crowd reacts to Eileen and Cybill. Everyone just stops cold to watch and react almost the same way one would if this happened in the real world.
Bogdanovich had to film the mixes of singing and dialogue "live" without overdubbing--which even he admitted no one had done since early talkies--but one critic noted that he didn't quite know how to stage the entire musical numbers, and that the background extras tend to just stop cold and stare while the leads sing, "like seeing a musical unfold within a Romero zombie movie." ;)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Ejanss said:
Bogdanovich had to film the mixes of singing and dialogue "live" without overdubbing--which even he admitted no one had done since early talkies--but one critic noted that he didn't quite know how to stage the entire musical numbers, and that the background extras tend to just stop cold and stare while the leads sing,"like seeing a musical unfold within a Romero zombie movie." ;)
:laugh:

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Ed Lachmann said:
FOA and TSOR have HD masters for DVD at least. Sodom and POP do not.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched the DVD of Leave Her To Heaven last night. I'm glad Twilight Time are releasing this film on Blu-ray because the DVD is not nearly good enough.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Lromero1396 said:
FOA and TSOR have HD masters for DVD at least. Sodom and POP do not.
Yeah, figured as such, but am still keeping my fingers crossed that some day a clean print of S&G turns up from somewhere. TT wrote that they would like to release it in BD, but all that can be found is the damaged print that the old "Swords and Sandals" Fox VHS came from. The FOA and TSOR would be immediate purchases for me. God, I hope they get around to those soon!

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Ed Lachmann said:
Yeah, figured as such, but am still keeping my fingers crossed that some day a clean print of S&G turns up from somewhere. TT wrote that they would like to release it in BD, but all that can be found is the damaged print that the old "Swords and Sandals" Fox VHS came from. The FOA and TSOR would be immediate purchases for me. God, I hope they get around to those soon!
If Fox isn't already planning to release these titles themselves, TT should definately try to get them. TSOR in particular, it has a rather nice Waxman Score. However, I would like to see if FOA's original 4-track audio can be restored, since the dvd did not have a discrete 4-track mix. Also, Sodom may have better elements available overseas which Fox is overlooking.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I had thought we might also have a chance of seeing STORY OF RUTH or FRANCIS OF ASSISI as Danish SoulMedia releases as they did do DAVID AND BATHSHEBA and THE EGYPTIAN a while ago. Seems that their Studio Classics line has stalled, which is sad, because the ALEXANDER THE GREAT and THE CONQUEROR BDs they put out were quite nice.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Well tonight I put on my recording of Prince of Players pan and scan version which aired on the Fox Movie channel back in 06. The movie looked great!! Production notes stated that Fox had built a copy of Fords Theater on the lot. Please Twilight TIme take a look at this movie. I forgot how very good the film is. I think this is beautiful film that would look fantastic when restored. The shooting at Fords theater was in a Time Tunnel Episode about Lincoln and is on DVD. You can see that restored clip at the end and the start of the TT episode. The actor who is hired in the TV show to protect Lincoln is in the movie at the end when Booth is in the barn scene.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Fox movie channel is playing Saint Francis this month. I watched it but it is a very bad pan and scan version. I love the film and I do not understand why Fox aired it that way. I also remember the sword and sandles vhs tapes which was brought up on another thread. TCM just finished airing many Fox classics.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Another lost treasure that came to mind after PRINCE OF PLAYERS was mentioned is Henry Levin's 1953 Fox biopic THE PRESIDENT'S LADY, with a wonderful Andrew Jackson reprise for Charlton Heston and a sultry turn by Susan Hayward. It's been years, but I remember it fondly and have the gorgeous Alfred Newman score that was recently released on cd.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Richard--W said:
Hasn't Hill screened an extended version at a film festival(s)? Apparently there's an entire subplot involving an additional character that's been cut from the film. I wonder which version Twilight Time is bringing to blu-ray.
It'll be the standard 91 minute version, I'd hazard. I've seen Hill speak a couple times, including after a screening of THE DRIVER, and I'm pretty sure he said something to the effect of "the version you just saw is the intended, preferred one." I saw a new print of THE DRIVER twice in the past couple years and it was of the regular version--with none of those excised scenes with Cheryl "Rainbeaux" Smith as a call girl or the extended opening, which appears on the DVD as an extra. When I saw him a couple weeks ago, following a screening of SOUTHERN COMFORT, he made a point of saying that he likes films--his own and the ones he watches--to be short and sweet, to say what needs to be said and be done. Then, he cracked that Hollywood churns out way too many overlong films that "say the same thing 27 times."

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Jay Gregory said:
When is 'Remember My Name' getting released?
Have they said anything about REMEMBER MY NAME getting a release? It's never had any home video release due to music rights issues, I believe. Most, if not all, of their Sony releases have been titles that have been previously on DVD. The Fox titles have been DVD and / or home video debuts for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks