Twilight Time announces Blu-ray releases March/April 2013

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Mark Collins

Mark Collins Cinematographer

Mark
    Barrie, the end of the film shows them in Rome at the service and then ends with the buy war bonds. We are lucky this is going to Twilight. I have purchased many of their films and never once have I been upset.

2. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    I have quite a few black and white movies on Blu-ray and they all look good. Obviously some are better than others, but not one is a dud. When done properly, black and white can look superb in high definition.

3. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Agreed. Just the larger breadth of gray scale they can use in HD alone can be incredibly impressive.

4. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Supporting Actor

Are there larger versions of the artwork available anywhere? Especially looking for Major Dundee.

5. Mark Collins

Mark Collins Cinematographer

Mark
    I just thought I would let fans of The Song OF Bernadette know that the soundtrack to the movie is still available at Amazon. The music as fans of the film know is by the great Alfred Newman. The book the film is based on is also at Amazon. The book as they say is a great read. The back story to the film is what I enjoy. The story is very much Casablanca for real. The Author of Bernadette is wanted by the Nazis and has already been declared dead. He and his wife refuge to Lourdes during the fall of France. He learns Bernadette’s story as he states it and swears if he can get to America he will write her song.
    http://www.amazon.com/Song-Bernadette-Original-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B00000J7R6/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1355423405&sr=1-2&keywords=the+song+of+bernadette
    http://www.amazon.com/Song-Bernadette-Franz-Werfel/dp/1586171712/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355423514&sr=1-1&keywords=the+song+of+bernadette

6. noel aguirre

noel aguirre Second Unit

noel
    Lost Horizon's Blu-ray has the isolated score which is an extra the DVD did not have.

7. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    True, though they're pretty much expected in all of the TT releases at this point.

8. Guest

Im getting the Fury and Christine, I just hope Christine has the extras that the special edition DVD had. Id love a TT "special edition "edition. I heard the commentary is being ported over

9. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

Prices too steep from TWILIGHT TIME for me !!!!

10. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

Prices too steep from TWILIGHT TIME for me !!!!

11. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Does no one remember what laserdiscs cost back in the day?

12. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    What does that have to do with some BD releases being too expensive for some budgets? Which doesn't apply to me because I'll buy at least two of these releases, but I can understand how others might have a plateau for their pricepoint.

13. noel aguirre

noel aguirre Second Unit

noel
    For any musical - that's a big extra - especially when you factor in the sound quality upgrade.

14. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    As a laserdisc and home theater enthusiast, I remember when discs averaged $40 or more and a $500 player was cheap.
    $30 blu-rays don't phase me, nor should they anyone else, especially for a boutique label that releases specialty titles.

15. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I'm not in the position to judge for others on what may fit their budget versus my own discretionary funds for such blu-rays.

Crawdaddy

16. Eastmancolor

Eastmancolor Stunt Coordinator

Jim Harwood
    Agreed. A $30 Blu-ray doesn't phase me in the least. As a collector of 16mm films for decades, I've spent anywhere from $200-$1000 for a print of one movie. In the laserdisc days $40-$50 for one film was the norm.
    Would I like to be able to pay $9.95 for every DVD and Blu-ray? Sure, but that's impractical and if they were all that price, you can bet the studios would walk away from them as profits would be slim.
    Now we get Blu-rays that (in many cases) can even blow away the quality of film prints, so I'm an avid supporter of Twilight Time and the other labels.
    Also with physical media not selling as well as it used to, I want to do all I can to support it so that we can continue to be able to buy discs for years to come.

17. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Comparing the price of TT discs with laserdiscs? This is a wholly new argument that I've never seen before that just *might* change the way that I, and 1000s others, view their rather radical business model.
    Repeat it again, 10 or 20 times, and I may just grasp it.

18. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    You know what? If their discs were ten bucks you'd read (not on this board so much) how people were waiting for them to hit the five dollar bins. No one can point out that a title has been successful because it was at a cheaper price point, and Twilight Time titles are reaching the audience to whom they are targeted. Some sell out, some do well but don't sell out, and some don't do well at all - it's the nature of the beast no matter WHAT the price point.

19. MichaelEl

MichaelEl Stunt Coordinator

I don't have a problem with the price point so much as the limited availability. Criterion Blu-Rays are also expensive, but you don't have to rush to buy them on the release date because they are continuously in stock at Amazon and other online outlets. I'm sure there are many fans of NOTLD '90, FRIGHT NIGHT, MYSTERIOUS ISLAND, and JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH who would've bought the Blu-Ray but couldn't afford it in the limited time frame they were available.

20. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    $30 is just fine, though it obvious depends on the individual and the title in question. There are some titles I passed on because I'm not a big fan of the particular movie and would only pay half as much. That said, I have picked up the vast majority, including those at $35 and the $40 The Egyptian. Very pleased $30 is the new standard for new releases.