What's new

Twilight Time announces Blu-ray releases July-August 2013 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Not yet. This is the kind of information I would immediately post if I had it.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Well, we already know that Oliver! is slotted in for the Fall...and wasn't The Way We Were mentioned too as a last quarter release?

Also w-a-y back I thought I read somewhere - a TT FB post? - that Robert Mulligan's The Other was on their schedule for 2013. Could that be one of their October/Halloween horror/occult titles?

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Looking forward to THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN with Elizabeth Taylor very soon!I wonder if TT will release two of her other films: SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER and THE TAMING OF THE SHREW?

I'd love to see those as well!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
ROclockCK said:
Well, we already know that Oliver! is slotted in for the Fall...and wasn't The Way We Were mentioned too as a last quarter release?

Also w-a-y back I thought I read somewhere - a TT FB post? - that Robert Mulligan's The Other was on their schedule for 2013. Could that be one of their October/Halloween horror/occult titles?
The Other on blu-ray? That would be welcome.

I hope the rumor about Carol Reed's Oliver! is true. One of the all-time great musicals. Reed directed one masterpiece after another but he is not as well-remembered as he should be, and not well-represented on blu-ray. I had hoped that Trapeze -- a career-best for everyone involved -- would come to blu, but alas it fell into MGM burn-on-demand program. Two other Carol Reed films worth considering are The Man Between (MGM, 1953) and The Public Eye aka Follow Me (Universal, 1973) but I don't think Twilight Time has access to either. The latter is practically unknown. How odd that Odd Man Out (1947) has not found its way onto blu, considering it is one of the most popular and highly regarded film noirs of the 1940s.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Richard--W said:
[
I hope the rumor about Carol Reed's Oliver! is true. One of the all-time great musicals. Reed directed one masterpiece after another but he is not as well-remembered as he should be, and not well-represented on blu-ray. I had hoped that Trapeze -- a career-best for everyone involved -- would come to blu, but alas it fell into MGM burn-on-demand program. Two other Carol Reed films worth considering are The Man Between (MGM, 1953) and The Public Eye aka Follow Me (Universal, 1973) but I don't think Twilight Time has access to either. The latter is practically unknown. How odd that Odd Man Out (1947) has not found its way onto blu, considering it is one of the most popular and highly regarded film noirs of the 1940s.
It's available in the UK:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Odd-Man-Blu-ray-James-Mason/dp/B007TKTYWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370258141&sr=8-1&keywords=Odd+man+out+blu

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Richard--W said:
How odd that Odd Man Out (1947) has not found its way onto blu, considering it is one of the most popular and highly regarded film noirs of the 1940s.
It appeared on that blurry image Criterion posted in 2012 of a list of future releases. So it'll likely come from them at some point.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
ahollis said:
While I have it on order because of George Stevens too, the film is a train wreck of a mess. The back story on this is more interesting than the film.
Ah, that's too bad!! I was really hoping to discover a gem there. I consider myself warned. Thank you for the input.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Twilight Time just posted this on their Facebook page. These are the titles after Love Is A Many Splendored Thing.
THE DRIVER (1978) BLU-RAY - July 23rd
BODY DOUBLE (1984) BLU-RAY - Aug 13th
SEXY BEAST (2000) BLU-RAY - Aug 13th
THE DISAPPEARANCE (1977) BLU-RAY - Aug 13th
DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK (1939) BLU-RAY w/Becoming John Ford (2007) - Sept 10th
ALAMO BAY (1985) BLU-RAY - Sept 10th
MINDWARP (1992) BLU-RAY - Oct 8th
THE OTHER (1972) BLU-RAY - Oct 8th
OLIVER! (1968) BLU-RAY - Nov 12th
THE WAY WE WERE (1973) BLU-RAY - Nov 12th
JANE EYRE (1944) BLU-RAY - Nov 12th

Personally, I'm most excited about Drums Along The Mohawk
David

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Whoa! Fox gave a Technicolor John Ford to Twilight Time? What were they smoking? At any rate, that's definitely on the top of my list for upcoming Twilight Time films next to Jane Eyre and Oliver!

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
David Weicker said:
Twilight Time just posted this on their Facebook page. These are the titles after Love Is A Many Splendored Thing.
THE DRIVER (1978) BLU-RAY - July 23rd
BODY DOUBLE (1984) BLU-RAY - Aug 13th
SEXY BEAST (2000) BLU-RAY - Aug 13th
THE DISAPPEARANCE (1977) BLU-RAY - Aug 13th
DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK (1939) BLU-RAY w/Becoming John Ford (2007) - Sept 10th
ALAMO BAY (1985) BLU-RAY - Sept 10th
MINDWARP (1992) BLU-RAY - Oct 8th
THE OTHER (1972) BLU-RAY - Oct 8th
OLIVER! (1968) BLU-RAY - Nov 12th
THE WAY WE WERE (1973) BLU-RAY - Nov 12th
JANE EYRE (1944) BLU-RAY - Nov 12th

Personally, I'm most excited about Drums Along The Mohawk
David
The European Blu-ray of Drums has some very nice aspects, but it also has some pretty heavy black crush in shadows and some weird out-of-phase sound throughout. If TT's disc has fixed those issues, they'll have a fine looking (and sounding) product.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
JoHud said:
Whoa! Fox gave a Technicolor John Ford to Twilight Time? What were they smoking? At any rate, that's definitely on the top of my list for upcoming Twilight Time films next to Jane Eyre and Oliver!
One possible clue: I just discovered via the IMDb that Becoming John Ford, the feature-length documentary which will accompany Drums Along the Mohawk, was written by TT's Julie Kirgo, and produced/directed by Mr. Redman himself. So Fox might have considered this a perfect fit...especially since TT will be offering another IST showcase for their house composer/conductor emeritus Alfred Newman.

This is an early "Merry Christmas" for me at least...

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
That's nice, but I'm still going to import Oliver! and The Way We Were from Europe at half the price!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mark-P said:
That's nice, but I'm still going to import Oliver! and The Way We Were from Europe at half the price!
The question is at what price PQ-wise? They might be the same video and audio presentations, but do we know that?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Robert Crawford said:
The question is at what price PQ-wise? They might be the same video and audio presentations, but do we know that?
I don't think there is anything to worry about there as these are being put out by Sony. I just got the German version of As Good As It Gets which was region-free, dual-layered, and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. The only thing it is missing is the audio commentary. Oh, and of course all the artwork is in German, but the disc menus are all in English (simply because the language defaults to whatever is set in your BD player). The best part is it only cost me about $15 shipped.

Now for these new releases, I will of course wait until I get some sort of confirmation that they are region-free, because there is never any guarantee of region coding based on previous releases.

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
Received my copy of The Only Game in Town today. It's a guilty pleasure. First caught it years ago on late-night TV.

There's a world of difference between the print I saw that night and this new Blu-ray release, though. Super transfer.

Great bonus: the (excellent) Maurice Jarre score is available as an isolated track.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Bitof a dilema here - can anyone help.

I live in the UK. I bought the TT As Good as It Gets, which wasn't cheap, but fair enough. Now it's available from Germany, and that version (as far as I can tell) looks identical. Annoyingly, if I'd known about the German version it would have cost me far less - between a third and a half the price. No complaints though, I always knew it was possible.

One of my other favourite films is Sexy Beast. It's already out in Germany for less than 8 Euros, so that'd cost me maybe a quarter of the TT import.

But here's the difference. As Good as It Gets is Sony, worldwide, and I think TT work on the basis of pumping out whatever the studio provides. Sexy Beast is Universum in Germany and Fox in the US.

Does anyone have any idea at all what it likely to have happened here? Will they likely look the same?

Cheers.

Steve W

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
There must be more than one transfer out there Steve because the UK disc is VC-1 1080i, whilst the Universum is MPEG-4 1080p. Presumably TT will use the latter, so they'll be the same. But according to the specs, the German disc is 1.78:1 rather than the theatrical ratio (2.39:1). Best thing to do might be to wait until the TT disc streets and some comparisons can be made, since the Fox DVD was 2.39:1.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
EddieLarkin said:
There must be more than one transfer out there Steve because the UK disc is VC-1 1080i, whilst the Universum is MPEG-4 1080p. Presumably TT will use the latter, so they'll be the same. But according to the specs, the German disc is 1.78:1 rather than the theatrical ratio (2.39:1). Best thing to do might be to wait until the TT disc streets and some comparisons can be made, since the Fox DVD was 2.39:1.
Cheers.

A poster at another forum says the UK HD DVD & German releases look identical, apart from the UK one cropping a bit of damage in a couple of places.

The aspect ratio on this one is strange. It was shot in Super 35. The cinematographer and director previously worked on pop videos and TV and, as far as I'm aware, have never shot anything 2.39:1 either before or since.

To compound matters the 2.39:1 looks very tight, whilst the 1.78:1 never appears to have excessive headroom. Nor does the less-wide version appear to have excessive waste at the bottom of the frame.

In addition, Super 35 is usually (though not always) used with cropping on a common top line - the top line of both ratios would normally be the same, or very close. But it's pretty clear that the the 2.39:1 version is a central crop, so it certainly wasn't shot for the ratio in the usual way.

Incidently, the UK releases have an almost identical running time to the US NTSC DVDs, so there doesn't appear to be any PALesque speedup that you get from 1080i/50 releases - if your de-interlacer is up to the job it should be as good as 10820p/24.

Still stuck. Do I...

- Pre-order the TT release
- Get he German release
- Stick with my UK release
- Wait for reviews and/or comparisons of the TT disc but risk it being sold out

Steve W

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks