What's new

TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT DEBUTS Manufacture-On-Demand DVD SERIES (2 Viewers)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
As usual, it will be interesting to see what CinemaScope films manage to be transferred in their original aspect ratio.

On the list, I have Spanish pressed DVDs of Gambler From Natchez, White Witch Doctor, Siege At Red River, King Of The Khyber Rifles (non anamorphic wide screen) and Untamed (non anamorphic wide screen) and frankly, considering their record I doubt they'll do any better than the Spanish editions I have.

The one title I'm especially looking forward to is Bird Of Paradise which I don't believe has ever seen a home video release.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
At least there's less widescreen titles for Fox to screw up in this new wave. Still not releasing anything pre-1935 which is no surprise at this point.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Given the track record I really don't want anything Fox offers, but I do appreciate the info on availablilty in other regions.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Now taking bets.

What are the odds that both "Untamed" and "King Of The Khyber Rifles" will either be 4:3 Letterboxed or Pan and Scan.

Stereo ? Anybody want to guess.

Imagine what complete Anamorphic joy Warner Archives would deliver if only these were theirs.
Sadly they're not. :(

The print of "Untamed" shown on TV here in Australia is 4:3 letterboxed, Mono and looks soft, dark and dismal.

I'm still waiting for "Boy On a Dolphin".

FrankXS

Second Unit
Fox MOD please bring us 1940's TIN PAN ALLEY, PIED PIPER, MARGIE AND CENTENNIAL SUMMER. Also Tyrone Power 1930's titles, THIN ICE,
SECOND FIDDLE and THIN ICE.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
I second the motion re CENTENNIEL SUMMER:Jerome Kern's last score, an attractive, interesting cast (inc Dorothy Gish) in Technicolor (or something close to it, keeping in mind Fox's disastrous shortsightedness in junking their 3-strip Technicolor negs back in the '70's) and a movie "inspired" by (the box-office returns of) MEET ME IN ST LOUIS, which we have seen very little of in comparison. (I like the latter but have just seen it too often- pardon the "sacrilege").
There is an excellent transfer of LLOYDS OF LONDON available from Spain. Colman's UNDER TWO FLAGS is also out in Spain with a photo-filled booklet. Nice transfer too. This one seems to rarely get a mention. SECOND FIDDLE is available from the UK.
I'm curious to see Gary "LAND OF THE GIANTS" Conway in YOUNG GUNS OF TEXAS with the offspring of some famous stars, but as the Spanish edition is panned-and-scanned, I'm not optimistic of any kind of Wide Screen release (and I won't watch CinemaScope " cut in half").
I have the Spanish LBX release of UNTAMED and I think it's better than some people indicated it was in some forums on this website. The color is pretty strong and the Franz Waxman score sounds as good as always, even if it's in mono. The Australian LBX copy of KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES is an OK transfer with a mono soundtrack, as is the Australian release of BOY ON A DOLPHIN (just a few shots needing color correction). I would love to see a good print (or even an average one) of John Ford's THE BLACK WATCH (the first talkie version of the KHYBER RIFLES story). I would expect the Fox Archives releases to be taken from similar masters, but I don't think you can count on anything with this company. (NIGHT PEOPLE is in anamorphic 2.55:1 here in Australia, in LBX in Spain and the Fox MOD is P/S, as is the MOD release of THE VISIT (which is in 16:9 'Scope in Germany and P/S here in Australia).
The fact that they are releasing so many titles would imply that they are selling well regardless of their quality issues. I'm hoping for a LBX or 16:9 transfer of THE STRIPPER with Joanne Woodward, but not overly optimistic! HOUND DOG MAN would be nice to see in 'Scope one day too. The German 16:9 transfers of ESTHER AND THE KING and TEN NORTH FREDERICK are great. As I've said before in this topic, for collectors of classics, being multi-regional is worth the effort+ cost. France has released a nice LBX transfer of THE REVOLT OF MAMIE STOVER and Spain's BOTTOM OF THE BOTTLE looks pretty good.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
If the Fox Archives transfer of THE ROAD TO GLORY is disappointing, there is a well-priced Spanish release which I have just ordered from starscafe.com (6.99 euros). I will report on its quality when it arrives. I have also ordered NINE HOURS TO RAMA, which is in Wide Screen. I won't know if its LBX or 16:9 until I pop it into my player. A Wide Screen release of Fox's PRUDENCE AND THE PILL is just out in the UK now.
I'm mystified as to why none of the titles listed in Lou's column are available for order/pre-order anywhere as yet. Website stores like OLDIES.COM are pretty good re their descriptions of the ratios. (eg. they will cite PAN AND SCAN, LETTERBOX and 16:9)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Stefan Andersson said:
Hi lionel59! Is the French MAMIE STOVER anamorphic?
The Spanish DVD of Revolt Of Mamie Stover is a nice anamorphic 2.35 transfer but I believe it's out of print.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
lionel59 said:
I have also ordered NINE HOURS TO RAMA, which is in Wide Screen. I won't know if its LBX or 16:9 until I pop it into my player.
The Spanish Nine Hours To Rama is in anamorphic widescreen. It's a good disc. You will not be disappointed.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Stefan Andersson said:
Hi lionel59! Is the French MAMIE STOVER anamorphic?
That's my big question too. If it is anamorphic, I'll buy it.
Thomas T said:
The Spanish DVD of Revolt Of Mamie Stover is a nice anamorphic 2.35 transfer but I believe it's out of print.
DVD Go still list it but placing an order with them is risky.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
I just read the press release. WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU PAN & SCAN UNTAMED AND KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES?! Leon Shamroy and Leo Tover are rolling in their graves! Those two films should have gone to Twilight Time. It looks like True Story of Jesse James is getting a mediocre treatment for a mediocre film. But no matter how bad the film is, it needs to be OAR especially since an OAR master exists.

On the plus-side, I'm overjoyed to see Fritz Lang's Western Union finally getting a domestic release on a digital format, even though Germany is getting a Blu-ray this summer. I've wanted to see The Road to Glory for a very long time and that just might be one that I buy unless it turns out looking as bad as A Message to Garcia did recently. I'm also interested to see how The Fighting Lady will look because all we've seen on that title are PD prints. However, there seem to be some really good copies that appear to be accurate to true Technicolor transferred from release prints floating around. This will probably be from a faded, pale, and washed-out CRI struck from badly misaligned Technicolor seps or negs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks