What's new

TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT DEBUTS Manufacture-On-Demand DVD SERIES (1 Viewer)

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Doug Bull said:
To the best of my knowledge "The Girl Can't Help It" was Mono only.

Because there were so many original mono rock recordings used in the film they decided they didn't need Stereo.

Joe knows the story.
Precisely what I assumed.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Matt Hough said:
When Criterion issued Fox's Bigger Than Life a year or two ago, it was with a 1.0 audio track.
Yes, I own that release. But, that may not be the original mix. Despite the fact that it was sourced from a 35mm mag track, that mono mag could have just been the center channel of a 4-track mix (that's how Fox did mono tracks from their stereo tracks: just took the center channel). No info was provided in the liner notes regarding a possible 4-track mix, which was standard operating procedure for Nicholas Ray and Fox at the time.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Lionel and Boris for the info on Holiday For Lovers. Now I can feel safe about ordering it.

Today received The Marriage Go Round and was happy to note it was anamorphic wide screen (2.35). The "white line" in the upper portion of the black is stationary so it didn't bother me at all. Sure, I wish it wasn't there but it's far from a nuisance or deal breaker.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thomas T said:
Thanks Lionel and Boris for the info on Holiday For Lovers. Now I can feel safe about ordering it. Today received The Marriage Go Round and was happy to note it was anamorphic wide screen (2.35). The "white line" in the upper portion of the black is stationary so it didn't bother me at all. Sure, I wish it wasn't there but it's far from a nuisance or deal breaker.
Yes, as I mentioned in my review of the release, the white line goes away at the 55-minute mark, but it just shows another example of Fox's nonchalance about their Archive program.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
I would not hold out any hope that -should BERNADINE become a Fox MOD release - it will be a CinemaScope transfer. (Although on rare occasions, a movie shown P+S on the Fox Movie Channel has been released in Wide Screen, eg. A PRIVATE'S AFFAIR). I'm curious to know what has happened to Twilight's proposed release of APRIL LOVE, announced when TT began.Pat Boone fans have received short shrift. I'm keen to see HOUND DOG MAN, THE VIEW FROM POMPEY'S HEAD, THE STRIPPER, and BLUE DENIM, but only in 'Scope. I am not very optimistic though...

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
lionel59 said:
I'm curious to know what has happened to Twilight's proposed release of APRIL LOVE, announced when TT began.Pat Boone fans have received short shrift. I'm keen to see HOUND DOG MAN, THE VIEW FROM POMPEY'S HEAD, THE STRIPPER, and BLUE DENIM, but only in 'Scope. I am not very optimistic though...
I seem to recall that after Twilight Time made their announcement about April Love, it was discovered that the elements are in very poor condition.

I agree about Pat Boone and his fans not receiving their due. I'd also like The Yellow Canary, The Main Attraction and The Right Approach to be available on disc

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Somewhere on the Twilight Thread they said the transfer of APRIL LOVE was not up to their standards so they passed. That statement could mean many things but I feel there is not an anamorphic transfer available. Shame shame.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Well, I'm sure regardless of the quality of APRIL LOVE the Fox MOD people would be happy to release it. Even a (wretched) pan-and-scan release would be better than nothing for fans of the movie. I'd tolerate an average quality CinemaScope print, even with a degree of color fading (this didn't stop Fox transferring the longer cut of THE SAND PEBBLES as a special feature in the 2-Disc SD edition, or using the extra footage from the recently discovered Road Show cut of SOUTH PACIFIC).From my viewpoint, this would still beat a pristine pan+scan print). It's a remake of HOME IN INDIANA. What a pity no-one thought to do a double feature of the two movies back when Fox was taking pride in their classics and giving us Restoration Comparisons (which informed us how much time and effort had gone into restoring their 'golden oldies')

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
lionel59 said:
Well, I'm sure regardless of the quality of APRIL LOVE the Fox MOD people would be happy to release it. Even a (wretched) pan-and-scan release would be better than nothing for fans of the movie.
Never again a wretched pan-scan transfer for me for any title. At this time and what Warner's, Sony and others do make sure a title is presented correctly, a pan-scan is a slap in the face for true lovers of any film that the OAR is more than 1.37:1.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Apologies if it was covered before, but has anyone seen the transfer of Clive of India?

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
There is a link a few pages back to an interesting opinion by Robert A Harris on the Fox MOD series. It is entitled "A few words about....Fox Cinema Archives-DVD" and is on the HTF site.
Mr Harris rates some of the titles and it would seem from his critique that the print of CLIVE OF INDIA is quite OK considering that it is unrestored, but that the film appears to "jump" a lot as it plays.(And they weren't using 'shaky-cams' back in '35). This doesn't happen on the broadcast version on FMC, so it would appear that- for this title- one is better watching it on cable.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I have just heard that 7 films in which Jane Withers appears have been announced by FOX Archives :THE FARMER TAKES A WIFE (Henry Fonda's debut film adapted from the Broadway play he had starred in. Janet Gaynor and Charles Bickford co-star),CHICKEN WAGON FAMILY, GOLDEN HOOFS, HIGH SCHOOL, LITTLE MISS NOBODY, PADDY O'DAY and RASCALS. As all were made before the Wide Screen era began with gusto in the '50's, there will at least be no OAR issues with these titles. Hoping for good transfers, particularly for the Fonda/Gaynor title (which was later musicalized with Betty Grable in 1953)

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
lionel59 said:
I would not hold out any hope that -should BERNADINE become a Fox MOD release - it will be a CinemaScope transfer. (Although on rare occasions, a movie shown P+S on the Fox Movie Channel has been released in Wide Screen, eg. A PRIVATE'S AFFAIR). I'm curious to know what has happened to Twilight's proposed release of APRIL LOVE, announced when TT began.Pat Boone fans have received short shrift. I'm keen to see HOUND DOG MAN, THE VIEW FROM POMPEY'S HEAD, THE STRIPPER, and BLUE DENIM, but only in 'Scope. I am not very optimistic though...
Blue Denim was evaluated for Twilight Time release, but the master provided to them by Fox was in 16:9 P&S (why?!), so they passed. Pat Boone's pictures would be excellent material for FCA to cover, but I wouldn't expect anything other than P&S versions at this point. I believe that all of the other titles you have mentioned have had their scores released by either Intrada or FSM, so I wouldn't consider those off the table for TT release. However, one cannot possibly predict licensing of catalog in this day and age.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
lionel59 said:
I have just heard that 7 films in which Jane Withers appears have been announced by FOX Archives :THE FARMER TAKES A WIFE (Henry Fonda's debut film adapted from the Broadway play he had starred in. Janet Gaynor and Charles Bickford co-star),CHICKEN WAGON FAMILY, GOLDEN HOOFS, HIGH SCHOOL, LITTLE MISS NOBODY, PADDY O'DAY and RASCALS.As all were made before the Wide Screen era began with gusto in the '50's, there will at least be no OAR issues with these titles. Hoping for good transfers, particularly for the Fonda/Gaynor title (which was later musicalized with Betty Grable in 1953)
I'm really hoping for a good transfer of The Farmer Takes a Wife as well. I'm also excited for The Moon is Down; a Steinbeck adaptation with an impressive-looking cast. Those are two titles I've been waiting to see for a very long time. Hopefully FCA will release The Pied Piper; a forgotten World War 2 film staring Monty Wooley and Anne Baxter that was nominated for Best Picture of 1942. Since FCA has taken an interest in wartime flag-wavers like TMID and They Came to Blow Up America, I hope that TPP will be released by them soon.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Does it sound like Fox gave the Twilight Time personnel an anamorphic 1.85:1 version of BLUE DENIM (shot in 2.35:1 CinemaScope)? Many 'Scope films are broadcast this way here in Australia and in the UK and some are even released this way (eg. the German release of DESIREE). They are panned-and-scanned but not as much of the image is cropped as when 'Scope movies are cropped to a square (ie. 1.33:1). I can't imagine them giving TT an anamorphic-16:9- video master with a 1.33:1 image with black on the sides, though I guess anything is possible!
Bizarre either way, though personally I can tolerate 'Scope cropped to 1.85:1 far better than when it's cropped to 1.33:1.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
After all the complaints Twilight Time had for releasing Violent Saturday in a non anamorphic 2.35 scope transfer (which is what Fox gave them), one can see why they passed on Blue Denim for similar reasons. While, of course, anamorphic is preferable, if Denim eventually shows up in their MOD program in a non anamorphic scope transfer I'd pick it up but not in a P&S transfer.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
If you can, spring for the new Region B Blu-ray of VIOLENT SATURDAY, which is excellent. The same (French) label has also put out Richard Fleischer's THE BOSTON STRANGLER on Blu. When or if these will show up here is open to question.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thanks Bob for that information. Interesting that Fox would not produce a new anamorphic master for Twilight Time but have obviously done one for Europe in HD for the French Blu Ray release. Twilight Time copped much flak for releasing the non-anamorphic SD of VIOLENT SATURDAY. Olive have begun re-releasing their early Paramount titles on Blu Ray. Maybe Twilight should look into gaining access to the Blu Ray master of VIOLENT SATURDAY and release it. It would certainly please their customers. Very good Richard Fleischer movie.

I have ordered the German Blu Ray of another Fleischer film (DOCTOR DOLITTLE) and Billy Wilder's great A FOREIGN AFFAIR. For those who can afford it, France has released a Blu Ray of David Lean's OLIVER TWIST.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Has anyone been brave enough to purchase ALL HANDS ON DECK? It was originally announced as being in Wide Screen but later this appeared to change to Panned-and-scanned. I am curious to find out the ratio presented on the dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks