What's new

TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT DEBUTS Manufacture-On-Demand DVD SERIES (2 Viewers)

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
After a laborious process which included changing my password, I am glad to back at "the forum" (to risk a very bad joke, 'funny things can happen on the way' here now that the site has been renovated!)
I have received an email from Classicflix.com regarding 25 new Fox MODs scheduled for release on April 8th. They are: CALL ME MISTER, THE I DON'T CARE GIRL, THE LOVES OF EDGAR ALLEN POE,THE MEANEST MAN IN THE WORLD, MEET ME AFTER THE SHOW,THE MODEL AND THE MARRIAGE BROKER, THE REMARKABLE MR PENNYPACKER (in WideScreen according to the information at ClassicFlix),A ROYAL SCANDAL, SALLY IRENE + MARY,SITTING PRETTY, WAKE UP AND LIVE,THANKS A MILLION, ALL HANDS ON DECK (again, cited as widescreen), BERLIN CORRESPONDENT,CARNIVAL IN COSTA RICA, BOBBIKINS (FullFrame ie. P+S),GOODBYE CHARLIE (WideScreen),IRISH EYES ARE SMILING,THE MOON IS DOWN, SONS AND LOVERS (P/S, released in 16:9 'Scope in Australia), SURF PARTY (4:3 and shot that way according to imdb.com), TEENAGE REBEL (P/S, showin in 'Scope on FMC),TWO LITTLE BEARS (P/S), THE YOUNG SWINGERS (1963, 4:3 and shot in that ratio according to imdb.com) and WHISPERING GHOSTS. One would ten to assume that these MODs must be selling in spite of their quality/OAR issues. It is encouraging to see that at least one movie shown Panned + Scanned on the FMC is being released in CinemaScope. Time will tell if the information given on the ClassicFlix website (by Fox) is trustworthy. The fact that two titles (SONS AND LOVERS and TEENAGE REBEL) which are regularly shown on FMC in Letterbox format are to be released Full Frame does not indicate that the folk at Fox have been reading these posts at HTF (or caring about them)....

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
P.S. Different sites are saying different things regarding the Aspect Ratios of the above titles which were shot in 2.35:1. One site states SONS AND LOVERS is in Widescreen , yet gives the ratio for ALL HANDS ON DECK as 4:3. We may have to wait for a reliable reviewer ("calling Robert Harris...do you read me?")
I am happy to report that I am very happy with my copies of THE MARRIAGE GO ROUND and OH MEN! OH WOMEN! Regarding the former, I have not noticed any problem with the top part of the black bar above the image, as others have complained about. The color is strong on both prints, possibly marginally better in the print of OH MEN! I heartily recommemd them both.
Still waiting for a report on HOLIDAY FOR LOVERS. Thanks in advance!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
lionel59 said:
I am happy to report that I am vfery happy with my copies of THE MARRIAGE GO ROUND and OH MEN! OH WOMEN! Regarding the former, I have not noticed any problem with the top part of the black bar above the image, as others have complained about. The color is strong on both prints, possible marginally better in the print of OH MEN! I heartily recommemd them both.
I'll have the review up for The Marriage-Go-Round when I get the go-ahead from Adam.

If you have even minimal overscan on your TV, you won't see the white markings in the upper letterbox bar. If you are using dot-for-dot that makes overscan 0%, you'll see them for about 55 minutes, and then they disappear.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I'm just a masochist, a glutton for punishment.
After saying "never again" at least a dozen times or more, it looks as if there are 9 more interesting and rare Musicals listed here that will be impossible for me to resist.

I'll most likely repeat "never again" at least another 9 times.

Doug.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Doug Bull said:
I'm just a masochist, a glutton for punishment.
After saying "never again" at least a dozen times or more, it looks as if there are 9 more interesting and rare Musicals listed here that will be impossible for me to resist.

I'll most likely repeat "never again" at least another 9 times.

Doug.

Yep, same with me. At least most of the titles I want are pre-scope so I will not have to worry about OAR, just transfer. Oh, what am I saying and what am I doing but setting myself up for more disappointment.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I have finally viewed the German release of THE MUDLARK. It is a superb transfer. If the Fox MOD is anywhere near as good, it would be worth purchasing. A very entertaining movie with Irene Dunne giving a good performance as Victoria (and almost unrecognizable under the make-up and padding) and Alec Guiness excellent as Disraeli.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
lionel59 said:
I have finally viewed the German release of THE MUDLARK. It is a superb transfer. If the Fox MOD is anywhere near as good, it would be worth purchasing. A very entertaining movie with Irene Dunne giving a good performance as Victoria (and almost unrecognizable under the make-up and padding) and Alec Guiness excellent as Disraeli.
I recorded The Mudlark off the FMC for a friend who doesn't have it on his cable service. I had never seen it before and really liked it. I'd love to have a first-rate copy of the film.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I've been recording just about every vintage non P&S movie from FMC onto DVD-R for many years, utilizing the best quality possible.. Except for the letterboxed films which are not anamorphic, I'm pretty happy with a lot of my recordings and am glad to save the money. But some pictures, like THE BRASHER DOUBLOON, have never been shown on FMC, so they are desirable along with the 16x9 titles, if any. With the current state of this program though I'm not very encouraged to invest in it.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Decided to chance "Marriage Go Round" since the aspect ratio is evidently normal. Real pity to hear about all these substandard releases in pan/scan (makes me feel like we're still getting VHS releases!)

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Oldies.com states the following (different) details re certain of the above-listed Fox Archive titles:
THE REMARKABLE MR PENNYPACKER- 4:3 Letterbox (ie. non-anamorphic/16:9 transfer)
SONS AND LOVERS - 16:9 Wide Screen (ie. 2.35:1)
ALL HANDS ON DECK - 4:3 (Pan and Scan)
and GOODBYE CHARLIE - 4:3 (Pan and Scan)

It may be that we will have to wait for some 'eyewitness reports' from our HTF colleagues before we know for sure about some of these titles.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Joe Caps said:
1957 was when Fox began to do some scope films in mono. Oh Men Oh Women was mono, as was Three Facesof Eve, the same year.
I was under the impression that Eve was stereo based on your comments in the now ancient thread for the DVD of that title. I've read contradicting reports on everything. Nobody seems to know for sure if the following films were in mono or stereo: Wild River, Desk Set, The Girl Can't Help It, and Bigger Than LIfe. Do you have any info on this, sir?

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
To the best of my knowledge "The Girl Can't Help It" was Mono only.

Because there were so many original mono rock recordings used in the film they decided they didn't need Stereo.

Joe knows the story.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I received my copy of LISA (1962) today and can confirm it is wide screen (2.35). Alas, not anamorphic but at least in its proper CinemaScope ratio. It's a decent transfer, too.

Now, can anyone please confirm if HOLIDAY FOR LOVERS is in its proper CinemaScope ratio???

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Oldies.com cites HOLIDAY FOR LOVERS as being in "16:9 Letterbox", which signifies an anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer. I would be very interested to hear from someone who has purchased this to learn what the image and sound quality is like.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I have Holiday For Lovers . I thought it looked preety good . The back lists it as 16:9 Letterbox .

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
How come no "Bernadine" from Fox. Widescreen please.Even when it was shown on TCM, they had it Fullscreen. What gives?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
That's just Fox using (once again) an ancient video master instead of spending the money to strike a new HD transfer from original Cinemascope elements.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks