Twentieth Century Fox 75th Anniversary Collection

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John Stell, Sep 24, 2010.

1. John Stell

John Stell Supporting Actor

John Stell
    Up for pre-order at DVD Empire. Retail is $500. The only new title is Cavalcade.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?item_id=1551396

Contents:

Volume One - 1935-1960 (22 Films)
    Cavalcade
    Steamboat Around the Bend<
    The Little Princess
    The Grapes of Wrath
    Blood and Sand
    How Green was My Valley
    The Ox-Bow Incident
    The Song of Bernadette
    Laura
    Gentlemen's Agreement
    Miracle on 34th Street
    Twelve O'Clock High
    All About Eve
    The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
    Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
    The Robe
    The Seven Year Itch
    The King and I
    Love Me Tender
    An Affair to Remember
    South Pacific
    The Diary of Anne Frank

Volume Two - 1961-1985 (23 Films)
    The Hustler
    The Longest Day
    Cleopatra
    Zorba the Greek
    The Sound of Music
    Fantastic Voyage
    The Sand Pebbles
    Planet of the Apes
    Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
    Hello Dolly
    MASH
    Patton
    The French Connection
    The Poseidon Adventure
    Phantom of the Paradise
    Young Frankenstein
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show
    The Omen
    Star Wars
    Alien
    All That Jazz
    Norma Rae
    Cocoon

Volume Three 1986-2010 (30 Films)
    Raising Arizona
    Wall Street
    Big
    Die Hard
    Working Girl
    Home Alone
    The Last of the Mohicans
    Mrs. Doubtfire
    Speed
    Waiting to Exhale
    The Crucible
    Independence Day
    The Full Monty
    There's Something About Mary
    Boys Don't Cry
    Cast Away
    X-Men
    Moulin Rouge
    Ice Age
    Minority Report
    Master & Commander
    Sideways
    Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    Walk the Line
    The Devil Wears Prada
    Little Miss Sunshine
    Night at the Museum
    Juno
    Slumdog Millionaire

2. marcco00

marcco00 Stunt Coordinator

marc
    i'm totally disappointed with these anniversary sets from fox-- their 'leading men' and 'leading ladies' box sets have these same exact titles!

where's 'the five fingers', 'tales of manhattan', some dozen or so betty grable titles never released on region 1 dvd? fox do you even care?

3. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

Yeah Fox do you care? I want to know what's going on! I'm sick of this company rehashing the same titles and doing likewise with the MGM library!

4. BethHarrison

BethHarrison Second Unit

Yawn.

I read on the New York Post website that the previously unreleased Kazan films (Man on a Tightrope, Wild River, Viva Zapata!, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn) are going to be released separately next year. So I wouldn't bother with the 18 disc Kazan set.

5. ahollis

ahollis Producer

Allen
    Is it April Fool's Day already?

6. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Drat, was hoping the NY Post was misinformed on Cavalcade being the only new one.

So will Cavalcade (presumably). But, for me, the amount unreleased films in the Kazan set is enough for me to bite on that one, barely, given the fair prices of some online realtors.

7. Frank M

Frank M Stunt Coordinator

Calvacade was released in the year 1933, two years before Twentieth Century Fox was founded. Why do they include it in this collection?

8. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis
    Don't believe anything you read in the NY Post - they're famous for making stuff up.

9. battlebeast

battlebeast Screenwriter

Warren
    Will America America Be included as a suingle title???? That`s the ONLY one I need!

And I sure as heck hope Cavalcade will be released single... I have darn near EVERY other title in the set!!!

10. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

As you may know, because of Fox shenanigans, I have vowed to NEVER buy a fox dvd ever again of any fox vid.

Meanwhile, you guys have tried to do it to the consumers again !!! This new box is an embarresment.

FOX VID MARKETING AND GANG, I NOW GIVE YOU THE LIFETIME ACHIVEMENT FOR INCOMPETENCY AWARD !!!

11. battlebeast

battlebeast Screenwriter

Warren
    From my point of view, I see this FOX box set as a collection of their best films over 75 years. I don't understand why you all think it's so bad just because all of these films have been released before.

They aren't going to put some obscure 1932 film that no one knows in this set over a well-known classic from, say, 1996. (Cavalcade, being the exception, I understand why it's in the set.)

12. ahollis

ahollis Producer

Allen

It does not matter to me. I will not purchase the set nor the new collection being talked about today whether the new titles are released separately or not. I am tired of re-buying things I do not need and even if I could sell the other copies that I have, it still does not make this right. I have not purchased a Fox title in over a year and will not in the future except for The Sound Of Music Blu-ray and includes not purchasing the Alien Blu-ray collection. It will not happen. I know that Fox does not care whether I buy them or not, but it makes me feel good.

I do not think one film company's milestone anniversary has ever been as good as was expected. Even Warner's did not push anything new out nor did Paramount, but either of them added a couple of new releases to a collection of titles that most film lovers already had hoping to entice them in parting with their money. All in the name of a couple of gems.

13. ahollis

ahollis Producer

Allen
    Wow! $500.00 is a lot for one title.

14. GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh Supporting Actor

Fox can not release America America separately because they don't own the title.

15. Pete York

Pete York Supporting Actor

What the hell are you talking about? Lou Lumenick is one of the few guys covering classic releases, obviously has good contacts, and consistently offers reliable, useful information. Are you going to offer an example of his 'making stuff up' or was your plan to just lob a bomb at him and then slink off?

As for Fox, it seems safe to assume they are going to enter the MOD world at some point, although why they didn't coordinate THAT to be a part of their anniversary is beyond me.

16. ahollis

ahollis Producer

Allen

You are right in that this is a collection covering their 75 years and in the proper perspective I can applaud their work in putting this out and I also suppose that a collectors book will go along with it. It is a great collection for someone who is just starting to enjoy the classics. What I think is bad is that at the present the only way to own Cavalcade is through the collection. I think that is a slap in the face to anyone that has purchased Fox titles over the last few years and already owns many of those titles. I would hope that Fox does eventually allow this and the Kazan titles to be released separately. I also suggest that perhaps Fox can press several of the the new titles and offer them for sale only on their web site and movie channel or just through Amazon or another Internet company. This would solve a lot of frustration that collectors, such as myself are feeling.

17. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis
    Yeah, I think I'll just slink off. But not before I reiterate my previous comment - the NY POST (the "newspaper", not the critic) is NOT to be trusted as a reliable source of information. They print information without verifying the facts. I have nothing against Lou Lumenick (mainly because I barely read his reviews and practically stopped reading the "newspaper"). Now back on topic: Fox sucks. I'll be slinkin off now.

18. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    I have no problems with this release. I just wish Fox would do a little more to release classic titles on pressed DVD. Look at Universal. With its Backlot Collection it is putting out 10 to 12 new titles a year on pressed DVD. Its license to TCM also adds to that. I would not think such a release schedule would be that expensive, and it sure would be appreciated. Remember Fox, technically, your 75th anniversary does not end until May, 2011!

19. Pete York

Pete York Supporting Actor

Well, thanks for stopping in. Congratulations on your casual smear of someone's credibility without offering a scintilla of evidence.

20. Richard M S

Richard M S Supporting Actor

We keep hearing about how the audience for classic films is diminishing, and how the poor economy has slowed DVD sales but $500 for a set of previously released films!!!!!????

Who is their expected audience? Most people who like those films already own them!

Well I look forward to CAVALCADE's eventual release as a single disc.

And one more thing, regarding Lou Lumenick, don't get him angry!

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2008/09/11/2008-09-11_critic_goes_postal_on_ill_roger_ebert.html