What's new

Twentieth Century Fox 75th Anniversary Collection (1 Viewer)

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Up for pre-order at DVD Empire. Retail is $500. The only new title is Cavalcade.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?item_id=1551396

Contents:

Volume One - 1935-1960 (22 Films)
Cavalcade
Steamboat Around the Bend<
The Little Princess
The Grapes of Wrath
Blood and Sand
How Green was My Valley
The Ox-Bow Incident
The Song of Bernadette
Laura
Gentlemen's Agreement
Miracle on 34th Street
Twelve O'Clock High
All About Eve
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
The Robe
The Seven Year Itch
The King and I
Love Me Tender
An Affair to Remember
South Pacific
The Diary of Anne Frank

Volume Two - 1961-1985 (23 Films)
The Hustler
The Longest Day
Cleopatra
Zorba the Greek
The Sound of Music
Fantastic Voyage
The Sand Pebbles
Planet of the Apes
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
Hello Dolly
MASH
Patton
The French Connection
The Poseidon Adventure
Phantom of the Paradise
Young Frankenstein
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Omen
Star Wars
Alien
All That Jazz
Norma Rae
Cocoon

Volume Three 1986-2010 (30 Films)
Raising Arizona
Wall Street
Big
Die Hard
Working Girl
Home Alone
The Last of the Mohicans
Mrs. Doubtfire
Speed
Waiting to Exhale
The Crucible
Independence Day
The Full Monty
There's Something About Mary
Boys Don't Cry
Cast Away
X-Men
Moulin Rouge
Ice Age
Minority Report
Master & Commander
Sideways
Mr. and Mrs. Smith
Walk the Line
The Devil Wears Prada
Little Miss Sunshine
Night at the Museum
Juno
Slumdog Millionaire

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
i'm totally disappointed with these anniversary sets from fox-- their 'leading men' and 'leading ladies' box sets have these same exact titles!

where's 'the five fingers', 'tales of manhattan', some dozen or so betty grable titles never released on region 1 dvd? fox do you even care?

AlanBrom

Second Unit
Yeah Fox do you care? I want to know what's going on! I'm sick of this company rehashing the same titles and doing likewise with the MGM library!

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Yawn.

I read on the New York Post website that the previously unreleased Kazan films (Man on a Tightrope, Wild River, Viva Zapata!, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn) are going to be released separately next year. So I wouldn't bother with the 18 disc Kazan set.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Drat, was hoping the NY Post was misinformed on Cavalcade being the only new one.

Originally Posted by BethHarrison
Yawn.

I read on the New York Post website that the previously unreleased Kazan films (Man on a Tightrope, Wild River, Viva Zapata!, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn) are going to be released separately next year. So I wouldn't bother with the 18 disc Kazan set.
So will Cavalcade (presumably). But, for me, the amount unreleased films in the Kazan set is enough for me to bite on that one, barely, given the fair prices of some online realtors.

Frank M

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by John Stell

Volume One - 1935-1960 (22 Films)
Cavalcade
Calvacade was released in the year 1933, two years before Twentieth Century Fox was founded. Why do they include it in this collection?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Yawn.

Don't believe anything you read in the NY Post - they're famous for making stuff up.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Yawn.

Will America America Be included as a suingle title???? That`s the ONLY one I need!

And I sure as heck hope Cavalcade will be released single... I have darn near EVERY other title in the set!!!

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member

As you may know, because of Fox shenanigans, I have vowed to NEVER buy a fox dvd ever again of any fox vid.

Meanwhile, you guys have tried to do it to the consumers again !!! This new box is an embarresment.

FOX VID MARKETING AND GANG, I NOW GIVE YOU THE LIFETIME ACHIVEMENT FOR INCOMPETENCY AWARD !!!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
From my point of view, I see this FOX box set as a collection of their best films over 75 years. I don't understand why you all think it's so bad just because all of these films have been released before.

They aren't going to put some obscure 1932 film that no one knows in this set over a well-known classic from, say, 1996. (Cavalcade, being the exception, I understand why it's in the set.)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Originally Posted by Luisito34
Don't believe anything you read in the NY Post - they're famous for making stuff up.
It does not matter to me. I will not purchase the set nor the new collection being talked about today whether the new titles are released separately or not. I am tired of re-buying things I do not need and even if I could sell the other copies that I have, it still does not make this right. I have not purchased a Fox title in over a year and will not in the future except for The Sound Of Music Blu-ray and includes not purchasing the Alien Blu-ray collection. It will not happen. I know that Fox does not care whether I buy them or not, but it makes me feel good.

I do not think one film company's milestone anniversary has ever been as good as was expected. Even Warner's did not push anything new out nor did Paramount, but either of them added a couple of new releases to a collection of titles that most film lovers already had hoping to entice them in parting with their money. All in the name of a couple of gems.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Fox can not release America America separately because they don't own the title.

Pete York

Supporting Actor
What the hell are you talking about? Lou Lumenick is one of the few guys covering classic releases, obviously has good contacts, and consistently offers reliable, useful information. Are you going to offer an example of his 'making stuff up' or was your plan to just lob a bomb at him and then slink off?

As for Fox, it seems safe to assume they are going to enter the MOD world at some point, although why they didn't coordinate THAT to be a part of their anniversary is beyond me.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Originally Posted by battlebeast
From my point of view, I see this FOX box set as a collection of their best films over 75 years. I don't understand why you all think it's so bad just because all of these films have been released before.

They aren't going to put some obscure 1932 film that no one knows in this set over a well-known classic from, say, 1996. (Cavalcade, being the exception, I understand why it's in the set.)

You are right in that this is a collection covering their 75 years and in the proper perspective I can applaud their work in putting this out and I also suppose that a collectors book will go along with it. It is a great collection for someone who is just starting to enjoy the classics. What I think is bad is that at the present the only way to own Cavalcade is through the collection. I think that is a slap in the face to anyone that has purchased Fox titles over the last few years and already owns many of those titles. I would hope that Fox does eventually allow this and the Kazan titles to be released separately. I also suggest that perhaps Fox can press several of the the new titles and offer them for sale only on their web site and movie channel or just through Amazon or another Internet company. This would solve a lot of frustration that collectors, such as myself are feeling.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Originally Posted by Pete York
What the hell are you talking about? Lou Lumenick is one of the few guys covering classic releases, obviously has good contacts, and consistently offers reliable, useful information. Are you going to offer an example of his 'making stuff up' or was your plan to just lob a bomb at him and then slink off?

As for Fox, it seems safe to assume they are going to enter the MOD world at some point, although why they didn't coordinate THAT to be a part of their anniversary is beyond me.
Yeah, I think I'll just slink off. But not before I reiterate my previous comment - the NY POST (the "newspaper", not the critic) is NOT to be trusted as a reliable source of information. They print information without verifying the facts. I have nothing against Lou Lumenick (mainly because I barely read his reviews and practically stopped reading the "newspaper"). Now back on topic: Fox sucks. I'll be slinkin off now.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I have no problems with this release. I just wish Fox would do a little more to release classic titles on pressed DVD. Look at Universal. With its Backlot Collection it is putting out 10 to 12 new titles a year on pressed DVD. Its license to TCM also adds to that. I would not think such a release schedule would be that expensive, and it sure would be appreciated. Remember Fox, technically, your 75th anniversary does not end until May, 2011!

Pete York

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I think I'll just slink off. But not before I reiterate my previous comment - the NY POST (the "newspaper", not the critic) is NOT to be trusted as a reliable source of information. They print information without verifying the facts. I have nothing against Lou Lumenick (mainly because I barely read his reviews and practically stopped reading the "newspaper"). Now back on topic: Fox sucks. I'll be slinkin off now.
Well, thanks for stopping in. Congratulations on your casual smear of someone's credibility without offering a scintilla of evidence.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
We keep hearing about how the audience for classic films is diminishing, and how the poor economy has slowed DVD sales but $500 for a set of previously released films!!!!!????

Who is their expected audience? Most people who like those films already own them!

Well I look forward to CAVALCADE's eventual release as a single disc.

And one more thing, regarding Lou Lumenick, don't get him angry!

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2008/09/11/2008-09-11_critic_goes_postal_on_ill_roger_ebert.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks