What's new

twelve o'clock high (1 Viewer)

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Let's hope at least Twelve O'Clock High season 1 will have a release because it seems like a quality show with good directors and actors. Sutton Roley directed some of the best.
Don't forget the music of Dominic Frontiere who will later score The Rat Patrol.
PS: Other war series should have a release: Jericho and Garrison's Gorillas.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I'm pretty much set with 12 O'CLOCK HIGH. I'd wanted to revisit the series and thanks to MeTV, I've been able to. A professional, well-mastered DVD or Blu-Ray set would be great, but if it never happens, I can die happy.

Harry

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
if you look at combat, gallant man and/or other war time tv series have been released it should be an indicator that shows like 12 O'Clock could see the light of day. November 11th is coming up and it is time that we should take few moments and remember the sacrifices that people gave for our freedom today!

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
JohnHopper said:
Let's hope at least Twelve O'Clock High season 1 will have a release because it seems like a quality show with good directors and actors. Sutton Roley directed some of the best.
Don't forget the music of Dominic Frontiere who will later score The Rat Patrol.
PS: Other war series should have a release: Jericho and Garrison's Gorillas.
Garrison's Gorillas was the tv equivalent of Robert Aldrich's The Dirty Dozens.
GG was produced by the same people who did Combat!.

66KIMBLE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick T
I'm now catching the color episodes of 12 o Clock High on ME TV. Somewhat similar to QM's other show THE FUGITIVE that season:color means more action for better or worse. I prefer the episodes that focus on the human element as opposed to the ground combat battles. One such episode I saw today was Distant Cry featuring Roy Thinnes plus future stars Robert Blake (Baretta) and Wayne Rogers (MASH). It dealt with human loss,humility,and dignity among the Air Force pilots in wartime. I won't give spoilers but it's worth seeking out when it is shown again.

66KIMBLE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick T
Just finished watching the last original episode The Hunters and The Killers (with Ralph Bellamy). I thought Paul Burke's character Col.Joe Gallagher had improved as this was one of his finer episodes,however I still think Robert Lansing's General Savage was better. The one thing that impressed me about this episode was how it ended. Eventhough it was cancelled midseason (3rd),it had the feel of a planned last episode with the other characters paying reverance to Gallagher and Gen.Britt (Andrew Duggin) looking off at a bomber overhead. What is ironic is neither Robert Lansing or Paul Burke showed up in their character's "last scenes".Interesting. Does anyone think 12 o Clock High was cancelled by ABC because a WWII show with more action The Rat Patrol premiered earlier on the network that season? Just an opinion. Looking forward catching up on Season 1 again on ME TV.:)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Originally Posted by 66KIMBLE /t/308950/twelve-oclock-high/30#post_3997728
Does anyone think 12 o Clock High was cancelled by ABC because a WWII show with more action The Rat Patrol premiered earlier on the network that season?

I recall seeing some ratings numbers listed in the new TIME TUNNEL book by Martin Grams, and 12 O'CLOCK HIGH was coming in dead last. In that fall of 1966, the show was buried on Friday nights at 10 PM with a lead-in by a weak return-to-TV attempt by Miton Berle. Add to that the dictate of color, making the show more expensive, and it's quite obvious why it was cancelled.

But you're right, the show actually had a satisfying ending for one so abruptly cancelled.

Enjoy Season One.

Harry

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The switch to color hurt both Combat and High. They had to stop using actual WWII combat footage because of that all being in black and white.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Originally Posted by Neil Brock /t/308950/twelve-oclock-high/30#post_3997912
The switch to color hurt both Combat and High. They had to stop using actual WWII combat footage because of that all being in black and white.

During the color half-season of 12 O'CLOCK HIGH, there was a lot of tinting of stock war footage. It was generally tinted blue to look like sky, and since they didn't dwell on it, it was largely effective for what it was.

But, like so many other series of the day, black & white was more effective and less expensive, but the networks dictated it so there was no choice.

Harry

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
It was interesting to read the Quinn Martin Producer book, I just finished it. Most fans seem to prefer Lansing, while the people who worked on the series all rave about Burke and call Lansing all sorts of names! lol I have nothing against Lansing, but generally speaking in terms of work I'm more of a Burke fan myself, Lansing reminds me in looks a great deal of Robert Stack whom I like a lot.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Harry-N said:
But, like so many other series of the day, black & white was more effective and less expensive, but the networks dictated it so there was no choice.
Actually, all 3 networks went full color in prime time in Fall, 1966, so ALL series that were in B&W the season before that were picked up for 1966-1967 switched to color. It was either switch to color,or not be renewed.
Clearly the move from Monday Nights at 7:30 to Friday Nights at 10pm most likely hurt the show - which followed "The Milton Burle Show",and ran opposite the 2nd hour of the "CBS Friday Night Movie" and "Laredo" on NBC (which was also canceled at the end of the 66-67 season)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
DeWilson said:
Actually, all 3 networks went full color in prime time in Fall, 1966, so ALL series that were in B&W the season before that were picked up for 1966-1967 switched to color. It was either switch to color,or not be renewed.
Clearly the move from Monday Nights at 7:30 to Friday Nights at 10pm most likely hurt the show - which followed "The Milton Burle Show",and ran opposite the 2nd hour of the "CBS Friday Night Movie" and "Laredo" on NBC (which was also canceled at the end of the 66-67 season)
Actually it started in the 1st season on Friday Nights at 10:00 PM and did well there the 1st season so I don't think getting its original time slot back was a major contributer to the bad ratings in the 3rd season. I think its biggest reason was: just how many stories can you do on Bombing missions. They had covered every variable and repeated most of those by the 3rd season so they seemed to go with alot more downed plane, ground missions.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Originally Posted by Randy Korstick /t/308950/twelve-oclock-high/30#post_3998440
Actually it started in the 1st season on Friday Nights at 10:00 PM

Minor quibble, just for total accuracy: the first season had the show airing at 9:30 PM Eastern. I don't know if that half hour made a huge difference. It was opposite the premiere season of GOMER PYLE and JACK BENNY. Its lead-in was a Tony Franciosa sitcom called VALENTINE'S DAY.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964/65_United_States_network_television_schedule

Harry

66KIMBLE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick T
HenryDuBrow said:
It was interesting to read the Quinn Martin Producer book, I just finished it. Most fans seem to prefer Lansing, while the people who worked on the series all rave about Burke and call Lansing all sorts of names! lol I have nothing against Lansing, but generally speaking in terms of work I'm more of a Burke fan myself, Lansing reminds me in looks a great deal of Robert Stack whom I like a lot.
Lansing's General Savage was not the most affectionate character(compared to Burke's Gallagher). However he commanded such a presence on screen. Though once considered for the role of Richard Kimble on The Fugitive,I think Lansing might have been more suited for Lt.Phillip Gerard with that 'disdain'of his.(taking nothing away from the great Barry Morse!)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Just wanted to add a post about my fondness for Twelve O'Clock High which I'd never seen before and thanks to ME-TV, have now seen most all of. I don't feel a need to pick one over the other concerning Lansing or Burke. They both offered something to the series and I'm glad it lasted as long as it did. Harry-N, I also agree with you about The Time Tunnel and the Fox release of that. It was way beyond my expectations and I love it.
Not optimistic about a Fox release of Twelve O'Clock High or licensing to anyone else. I'm still waiting for them to license Season 2 of Burke's Law, another favorite, to VCI. ME-TV has started airing that this fall, but only once a week in the middle of the night!
I'd get a dvd release of both those shows. In the meantime, "we takes what we can gets," I suppose!

66KIMBLE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick T
New Interview posted with Chris Robertson (Komansky). He comments on Lansing vs Burke,Quinn Martin,and David Janssen.Interview is on TV Confidential.com dated 3/8/2013.
Quinn confided in Chris a few years later letting go of Robert Lansing was a mistake

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
when i went to tvconfidential, it just said that site was for sale.

66KIMBLE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick T
jimmyjet said:
when i went to tvconfidential, it just said that site was for sale.
Sorry Jimmy try KSAV.org click on programs and follow directions from there

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i saw no way of hearing this weeks show, as of yet. from what i can tell, either you hear it live, during the broadcast, or on their tv archives. they keep about 10 of their last shows. in order to hear this one, i think we will need to wait a week or so, until it hits their archive pile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks