Tweeter/Boston Acoustics

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ChrisCollins, May 18, 2004.

1. ChrisCollins

ChrisCollins Stunt Coordinator

Not sure if this was already brought up, but I was just in Tweeter and they are no longer carrying Boston Acoustics. They are now carrying Polk

2. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

Oh.

3. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

That's a stupid move. I've always thought Polks sounded like a$$ compared to Bostons.

4. Brad_See

Brad_See Stunt Coordinator

I think I did read this in a thread here but it might have been elsewhere. I agree with cabreau but it was probably a money decision for them as Polk has become/is becoming very popular. Honestly I think they're sort of becoming the new Bose (except better-sounding)...kind of the recognizable speaker name that the average guy considers high-end. Actually while I like the Boston's better I don't think the Polk's sound like a$$.

Give me Bostons any day though.

brad cook

5. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

Being a loyal Tweeter customer for many years I feel let down they would drop a brand they have pushed so successfully for many years. I was just at Sound Advice in Miami, wholly owned by Tweeter, which had BA in stock (at that time) does that they will be dropping them as well? I know they have a slight variance in total scope of products offered but think they are going to consolidate vendors and only stock the same brands.

I own BA VR-M60's, VR10, VR-MX, VRi560 in walls.

6. ChrisCollins

ChrisCollins Stunt Coordinator

When I was at Tweeter yesterday, the manager informed me that either the owner of Boston Acoustics died or left his post.(Big difference there). Either way, the new head of BA no longer felt it was necessary to continue their relationship with Tweeter and that they were asking for too much. So Tweeter needed a replacement speaker line, and apparently Polk has been aggresively trying for years to get in there

7. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

The HiFi Buys division of Tweeter here in Atlanta has always carried Polk.

8. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

9. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the update.

10. Phil Volk

Phil Volk Extra

Working for Tweeter previously and having a friends still there ,I can tell you that Tweeter will still carry BA car, satelites, in wall, outdoor, and other items.....however, since many of tweeters divisions dropped polk some years ago (8?)polk has been trying to lure them back by presenting new speakers and ideas to the powers that be in canton ,mass ....Tweeter headquarters has had a long and productive relationship with BA and they only decided to replace the bookshelf and floorstanders with polk because the quality/value of the polks has exceeded that of the BA's for some time now...this decision did not come easy for them but after side-by-side A/B comparisons, the differances were inescapable...Polk will pull their RTI'S out of the mass-merchants leaving only their low-end stuff there and tweeter will carry rti's and lsi's ...Plus, Polk has agressively kept their products from being "de-valued" by on-line e-tailing (re: "polk sues crazy eddies")...
    Boston had done a good job with this as well.....
    If you do a blind A/B BETWEEN polk and boston, you will be able to hear the differances...The polks have better upper end detail (of course some may call this "bright"), Polks have more bottom-end punch (some may call this exagerated bass), and the polks image better (some may call this better imaging)...when I worked at tweeter I noticed that I sold less and less Boston as time went on.......

11. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

Hey Phil, you didn't happen to work in the Nashua NH branch, did you??

12. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Another Nashua NH native? Didn't think I'd see one?
    RE: Boston Acoustic vs Polk. I've done serious speaker auditioning twice, once in 1986 (when I bought Celestion DL6s, after a six month shopping marathon, incidently at Tweeters) and earlier this year (I try to find speakers I like a lot), which took only three months (thanks to internet, more local dealers in Montreal where I now live) and I bought Boston Acoustic VR-M60s and 50s. The thing I noticed in the almost 20 year interim, is that not only has speaker design and materials changed a great deal, but speaker sound has changed as well. I tried very hard to find a speaker that was like my old pair, but no one makes that "sound" anymore. I found something close, and nearly bought them, but then I was exposed to a pair of B&W CM2s, which are very different in sonic character from my Celestions, and for the first few minutes, I found them unsettling, more than anything. As I continued to listen (the shop let me use the room for almost two hours, with no hassles or interruptions from sales people--it almost makes me feel bad I didn't buy from them) I noticed a number of details in my music that I'd never noticed before. This new (to me) sonic character (a character not shared by the majority of speakers I auditioned) lead me to completely re-evaluate my speaker selection (at a greater cost than I'd anticipated, of course) until I settled on the Bostons some time later. Whew, sorry about all that, especially as I was just trying to say that Phil's experience with fewer and fewer Boston sales might have to do with their "sound" not fitting in with the current tastes. I didn't audition the Polks, but the several dozen speakers I did listen to mostly had a trend to the sound that Phil describes, and so I suspect he'll sell more Polks as people seem to want the (as imprecise as these terms maybe) "bright", "boomy" sound (I, obviously, don't).

13. Leigh_M

Leigh_M Stunt Coordinator

I was disappointed Tweeter decided to replace Boston with Polk. I did audition both Polk and Boston as well as B&W, Energy, Vienna Acoustics, Klipsch, Paradigm, and several others. I was willing to spend twice what I did on my Bostons, but to me they had the best sound.

My guess is the Tweeter decision has more to due with finances and name recognition than quality. Either way, I guess I'll have to find another source for Boston's

14. Phil K

Phil K Auditioning

You guys have no idea how hard it is to get your hands on some fine Boston speakers here in Germany! I was under the impression Boston does not need a strong Non-US presence, because they are doing so well at home. Not so according to the articles posted above. The support for customers here in Germany is also very poor. I could not even get a list of all dealers selling Boston in Germany, the Boston representative only wanted to give me dealers in my zip code region. Now what if I want recommend these speakers to friends not living even near my hometown? So I think you still have more places to buy the BA equipment than I have [​IMG]

Phil

15. Phil Volk

Phil Volk Extra

boston's have great name recognition and that didn't enter into the decision...I think that one of boston's claim to fame used to be was that they were all made in the US, no longer the case...due to the walmartization of our economy , even boston has moved off-shore....as have MANY other speaker manufacturers....Polk seems to be deviding up it's penetration by making differant lines for differant types of dealers; lowe, middle and high end products..../