Tweaking, is it worth the effort ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_Dufresne, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

Mar 30, 2002
    There will always be two sides to every tweak discussed
    in this forum. Those who make a certain claim and those who
    dismiss it because of lack of scientific evidence.
    I am a certified skeptic but one day I read about the
    wonders of putting a little blue-tack between the speaker
    and their stands.
    Well I tried it and low and behold it had a big impact
    on the quality of my sound .
    My point is that those who are always on the lookout
    for new and sometimes non conventional ways to improve the sound of their system may hit dead ends 9 out of 10 times but when they hit pay dirt, we all benefit.
    So to all those who dare try new things and go off
    the beaten path I say Thanks .
  2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Aug 30, 2001
    What I have discovered in 20 years in the business may answer your thread's question.
    1. Tweaks are the cheapest route to good sound.
    2. Cleaning contacts makes a big difference.
    3. AC power conditioning makes a big difference.
    4. Room Acoustics make a big difference.
    5. Good cables and interconnects make a big difference.
    6. A lot of good tweaks are very inexpensive.
    7. The number of turntable tweaks that work is almost infinite.
    8. Isolating component vibrations work very well.
    9. Keeping dust cleaned off equipment matters.
    10. Leaving the cover off most vacuum tube amps (those that have covers) usually works wonders.
    11. Speaker placement is critical.
    12. Lots of air circulation around audio equipment is key.
    13. Moving switches and volume pots (even when not in use) periodically can help as well depending on equipment circuit.
    Some tweaks I have not had success with personally:
    1. Most CD liquid treatments. The ultimate CD treatment is to move up to Super Audio. [​IMG]
    2. Elastic rings around CD perimeter.
    3. Weighted pads for top of CD (in player).
    4. Demagnetizing CDs with the Bedini Clarifier.
  3. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Aug 29, 2000

Tweaks regarding audio/video improvements (or the pursuits towards that end) are all over the net... and have been for years ... TNT... AudioAsylum.... and the links by individuals, who have been kind enough to link to an assemblage of "tweaks",... and the crumbs you can find if you do some browsing... man, the list is as long as the ideas are plentiful.
    Always a new one though, or a new product to jump start things.
    Tweaks which are more than myth, IME:

*dedicated circuits for digital/analog (or a bunch of dedicated circuits for amps/digital/analog)

*acoustical treatment for room modes (bass traps, first reflection point panels, diffusors, ... etc)

*isolation devices for CDP/DVD (and a quality rack, as there are numerous flavors to choose from)

* a true audio quality line conditioner (not just a surge protector "disguised" as a power conditioner)

I have always approached home theater playback as a 2-channel pursuit. Lots of contradictions, for sure, but if you treat ALL your components as if you are in a 2-channel environment then your room is the defining factor. Treat the room according to 5-channel principles and you will have a fine playback environment.

Tak is a great thing.... I use it under ALL MY SPEAKERS.... as they are ALL ON STANDS. I even use globs of "fun tack" between my sub and the 3" thick granite slab it sits on.

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Oct 1, 2000
    Robert, my friend works part-time at a high-end shop and I've help deliver many dozens of expensive systems and also a couple of times of year when they are short-handed, help out. I've heard the same and substantially similar systems sound anywhere from bad to mediocre to great. All the things noted in the prior posts can make differences. Some of them are not outrageously expensive as was the tweak that you tried and they help get the maximum performance from your systems. There is also nothing wrong with trying things that come with a money-back guarantee. Being skeptical is fine. You tried something that resulted in an improvement, congrats. There is a difference between being skeptical and trying things and reaching a conclusion one way or the other vs. something who is close-minded. There are no absolutes. Sometimes things work better or worse in one system than another. If something does not work in one system, that does not mean it won't work in any systema nd vice versa.