What's new

TVonDVD Pet Peeves (1 Viewer)

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Very good post Troy!

But I got to agree with Chris on...

I am a big Marathon Watcher. I recently watched all 7 seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer in only 12 days! and let me tell you... when you watch TVonDVD like that... the going back to menu after every episode gets very tedious at best.

also... and this may surprise some of you... though I do agree that chapter stops should be after the opening credits so you can skip them if you want... I never use this option... because for me... the opening credits is a big part of the show... and 9 times out of 10 I will watch the opening credits with every episode. Only time I don't is if I am limited on time and I can fit in one more episode if I skip the opening credits. :D or can justify it that way at least. :P

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
You know, as far as this hobby is concerned, I am easily pleased. My biggest pet-peeve has got to be one that I find crippling to my enjoyement of a show:

SPOILER MENUS - Try hard as I may, I just don't get it.

Me too.

--
H

CynthiaH

Agent
I think the Play All complaint for me is not so big as to be a No Sale! complaint. I tend to watch shows in marathon sessions as well, and I think that's where you notice it most. The big problem is with those sets that have you go through about three screens before you get to the episode. If you're planning on watching for about three hours or so, and it's a comedy, you end up seeing it approximately every 20-25 minutes (depending on if you watch credits, etc.).

My other complaint is that some of those menu screens have music that BLARES. So yeah, it's not a deal breaker for me, but it also doesn't seem like it's that hard of an option to add. And having it on some sets and not others makes me miss it on the ones that don't have it. If people don't like it, they don't have to use it, and it's another thing for them to list on the back of the box.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Well, MY pet peeve is when they DON'T use 2-sided discs, instead giving us 4 or more 1-sided discs instead! DVD is a 2-sided medium, and I don't need a bloated package just to make it look like I'm getting more. I REALLY hate those overlapping cases too, don't ANYBODY tell me they like THOSE better than 2-siders! It would have been a lot easier to put 2 DVD-18s in the Simpsons Homer-Head box too, instead of 4 DVD-9s in that flimsy disc holder. I applaud Universal for using DVD-18s, but the way they've been putting printing only on one side does look cheap though; they need to print a full-color label on the center of the disc, and on both sides. And those of you who don't agree with me, you're WRONG! :D

Katherine_K

Second Unit
Packaging that folds out into one long line 6+ panels long. I have a desk the size of a football field and it is still ackward. X-Files is my most ready example of this.

ginoDean

Auditioning
In my opinion, Seinfeld is doing it right in terms of packaging, with the exception of not using double slim cases (a la Newsradio). I was looking at the MacGyver sets the other day and it seems that season 1 used the fat cases and season 2 used the slim. Slim is in, folks. The way they did it with Newsradio, it's the exact size of any other single disc movie in my collection.

I agree, keep packaging the same. No need for the cruel packaging change up they used with Alias. That was wrong. Friends and Smallville looks good all the same, but I don't like that style. Note to all new shows... use the slim cases!

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete

Close... but not quite.. The first season did use slimcases... 6 of them 1 disc per case. I believe Season 2 (I don't have season 2 yet) uses the double slim cases... 2 discs per slim case.. so only 3 slimcases.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
You are correct MacGyver season 1 used single slim cases and season 2 used double slim cases.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I do not want 2 sided discs. Here are my reasons:

1. Too easy to scratch.
2. I get much more skipping / errors on double sided discs. I don't think the process is ready for prime time yet.
3. Hard to tell what side is what when putting it in the player.
4. Still have to get up and flip the disc, so what does it benefit me?

It is simply a way of making more profit. They like the "easy to scratch" idea because it means some will have to re-purchase a favorite movie. Given them even more profit.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
I have not encountered any particular manufacturing problems with double sided discs. Mostly I am uncomfortable with them because I find them hard to handle without touching one side or another and inevitably I put the disc in on the opposite side from the one I wanted.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I know this may sound impossible, but I'd like to see box sets made like those cd/dvd travel cases. Inside the discs will be like flip style back to back, and will be better protected.

I don't like the idea of removing discs for the first time, it almost makes me break discs removing them from the sets. And sometimes the middle part breaks when I push on the centre, then the disc won't be tight on the set again.
One case it happened to was my StarWars trilogy set episode 5. Now its in a disc envelope inside the case.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I don't have a problem with 2-sided discs... as long as they're not from Universal! They don't have a very good track record with them.

Unfortunately, they're almost always from Universal. :frowning:

Chris

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
In reading the previous posts on liking/disliking 2-sided discs, something just came to mind that stuck out like a sore thumb:

Why is it that many series get the single-disc treatment (several episodes per disc), while others get slapped with the 2-sided disc treatment? Cases in point: "Superman: The Animated Series". In each of the releases of "Batman: TAS", all of the discs are single-sided and 4 discs apiece. Yet "Superman: TAS" got slapped with the first disc being a 2-sided disc. It seemed that this series, which had great animation and fun to it, didn't get as good a treatment as "Batman: TAS" in that area.

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
I don't mind 2 sided discs but I don't like 2 sided overlapping discs.I have a heck of a time with "The Waltons" packaging.I have to be sooooo careful with the discs as I juggle one with one hand while trying to pry the next one out of the case.

A few more peeves are:

Starting a tv series release by seasons and not finishing up the series.(Laverne and Shirley,Happy Days,The Adventures of Sinbad,The Avengers and others.I believe there's a thread devoted solely to this subject.)

Releasing edited/syndicated episodes.

Ha$tily thrown together relea$e$ without any restoration done to them or decent sources used.(hmmmm....Lost In Space Season 3 parts 1 and 2 come to mind.)

Not placing episode titles on the discs.Angel and Buffy are good examples.What a pain to have to haul out the booklet to see where we left off.

I'm sure I could think of a few more if I really tried but that's all I can come up with for now.

Shawn_Sm

Stunt Coordinator
Some more:
No episode descriptions
Creased or crushed booklets
Glued trays coming off
When episodes can't be played without going to an individual episode/scene selection screen

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis

I think that in the studio's mind, it is unconceivable to buy a serie without having seen it first on TV. Same for movies, if you buy the DVD it's because you liked the movie when it played in the theater...
Stupid I know... Since here in Belgium, a majority of shows are dubbed (:thumbsdown: ), I now watch many shows for the first time on DVD: Arrested Development, Deadwood, Alias, West Wing, The Sopranos, Millenium, Sex and the City,...

But I agree 100%, no spoiler on the packaging, menus,...

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Disc pre-menu titles/warnings/"the views expressed..."/logos/etc. should absolutely be number 1! I have only a few DVD sets where I can bypass these. "The Partridge Family" and "Man in a Suitcase" immediately come to mind. Won't be long before we are forced to see obligatory "also available" previews/ads...just wait.

Honorable mention for revised, pompous and LOUD logos, e.g. "Universal" for the "Night Gallery" season 1 release. The original quiet revolving Earth would have been so much nicer. I wonder if anyone over 30 at Universal makes decisions for their tv on DVD releases.

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator

This is true,Sir. However,if we are to accept this blanket statement we would most certainly have to apply it in response to nearly every post in this thread if not to all boards in this forum. By doing so, we would no longer have need for them.

I daresay the "studios" may be many things but I doubt no one who posts in this forum,including myself, would be tempted to accuse them of being charitable.:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks