What's new

TV Studios Show No Love...? (1 Viewer)

Bill Waits

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
magicman
I think it's bad enough that movies studios release better content overseas than domestically, but I just found out about some TV material that has been released overseas with no signs of domestic releases. For instance, I just discovered that all 12 seasons of NYPD Blue has been released in the UK, but here in the states, we are stuck on Season 4, and I know a TON of people that would love to see the rest of it released. Also in the UK, according to Amazon, the last few seasons will be released for LA Law by March of next year, but here, we haven't even had Season 1 released. I'm wouldn't be surprised to learn that there are probably more examples, but I am just getting started on a certain project and came across these two at the same time.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Music is the same way. While American companies want to give you "best of" and "greatest hits" compilations, you have labels like Germany's Bear Family who give you complete recordings in gynormous box sets.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Ron1973 said:
Music is the same way. While American companies want to give you "best of" and "greatest hits" compilations, you have labels like Germany's Bear Family who give you complete recordings in gynormous box sets.
But the foreign CDs are playable on anyone's CD player. To play most of the foreign DVD's (region 2) you need a multi-region player. The Bear Family sets are readily available over here so there's no real reason for the American owner to put out the same thing.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bill Waits said:
I think it's bad enough that movies studios release better content overseas than domestically, but I just found out about some TV material that has been released overseas with no signs of domestic releases. For instance, I just discovered that all 12 seasons of NYPD Blue has been released in the UK, but here in the states, we are stuck on Season 4, and I know a TON of people that would love to see the rest of it released. Also in the UK, according to Amazon, the last few seasons will be released for LA Law by March of next year, but here, we haven't even had Season 1 released. I'm wouldn't be surprised to learn that there are probably more examples, but I am just getting started on a certain project and came across these two at the same time.
Two Guys, A Girl, and a Pizza Place (complete series), Ironside S5-8, Malcolm in the Middle (complete series), McCloud (complete), ALF in original network form, not butchered syndicated episodes, Quantum Leap with original music for seasons 2 and 3, and Ally McBeal was out in unedited format at least 3 years before the US could swing an unedited release... and these are just the ones I know of or have bought.

Basically, it's a great time to get a DVD player with region-free capabilities. Those LA Law sets can be had for between 20 and 35 bucks in US Dollars.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Gary16 said:
But the foreign CDs are playable on anyone's CD player. To play most of the foreign DVD's (region 2) you need a multi-region player.
The Obsolete Man said:
Basically, it's a great time to get a DVD player with region-free capabilities. Those LA Law sets can be had for between 20 and 35 bucks in US Dollars.

Some computer video player programs (like videolan) can play just about any dvd from any region, regardless of what region is set on the dvd-rom drive.

Bill Waits

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
magicman
The Obsolete Man said:
Two Guys, A Girl, and a Pizza Place (complete series), Ironside S5-8, Malcolm in the Middle (complete series), McCloud (complete), ALF in original network form, not butchered syndicated episodes, Quantum Leap with original music for seasons 2 and 3, and Ally McBeal was out in unedited format at least 3 years before the US could swing an unedited release... and these are just the ones I know of or have bought.

Malcolm In The Middle? Oh wow! Two of my all time favorite shows (along with NYPD Blue) released overseas but not in their own home country...What's wrong with this scenario?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bill Waits said:
Malcolm In The Middle? Oh wow! Two of my all time favorite shows (along with NYPD Blue) released overseas but not in their own home country...What's wrong with this scenario?
Malcolm probably comes down to music rights.

I never watched the show myself, but IIRC it was kind of music heavy, and in the US that's a surefire DVD killer. But in the UK, music rights don't seem to be the major problem they are in the US.

Bill Waits

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
magicman
The Obsolete Man said:
Malcolm probably comes down to music rights.

I never watched the show myself, but IIRC it was kind of music heavy, and in the US that's a surefire DVD killer. But in the UK, music rights don't seem to be the major problem they are in the US.
Therein lies a MAJOR problem with copyright in the US. I'm all for copyright holders being paid, but essentially when one party who already agreed to have their work/art as part of another piece of work/art, and that first party is able to hold hostage the second party's release of such work (think WKRP in Cincinnati) as they see fit, then there is something horribly wrong with that setup. Like I said, I have no problem with copyright holders being paid fairly, but there should be a flat rate for any future use instead of what we have now. Besides, with international barriers being less and less of an issue, as well as pre-defined and specified regions, it doesn't make sense to try to assert that copyright power. You're only irritating and upsetting the very fan base that got you into position to begin with.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Bill Waits said:
Therein lies a MAJOR problem with copyright in the US. I'm all for copyright holders being paid, but essentially when one party who already agreed to have their work/art as part of another piece of work/art, and that first party is able to hold hostage the second party's release of such work (think WKRP in Cincinnati) as they see fit, then there is something horribly wrong with that setup. Like I said, I have no problem with copyright holders being paid fairly, but there should be a flat rate for any future use instead of what we have now. Besides, with international barriers being less and less of an issue, as well as pre-defined and specified regions, it doesn't make sense to try to assert that copyright power. You're only irritating and upsetting the very fan base that got you into position to begin with.
I don't disagree but most of these contracts were drawn up before home video existed, so if a copyright holder isn't going to make any additional revenue from a home video sale then what's his or her incentive to say yes? Singer Peggy Lee won a major victory from Disney over her vocals in "Lady and the Tramp" specifically based on home video release of a movie made in the 50's.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Gary16 said:
I don't disagree but most of these contracts were drawn up before home video existed, so if a copyright holder isn't going to make any additional revenue from a home video sale then what's his or her incentive to say yes? Singer Peggy Lee won a major victory from Disney over her vocals in "Lady and the Tramp" specifically based on home video release of a movie made in the 50's.
Ah, but there's getting a piece of the pie, then there's wanting the whole damn pie.

Married, With Children for example... the story goes that the rights holders kept jacking up the price of "Love and Marriage" with each release, until it became financially impossible for Sony to pay to use the song for the DVDs. So, they just cut it out. and the rights holders get nothing instead of a little something.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, I've had a region free DVD player for several years now. If I can't get something that I want here in the US and it is available elsewhere, then I go the alternative way. I have several DVDs from other countries and love them.

Bill Waits

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
magicman
Gary16 said:
The problem isn't paying what is owed for something that was released (as in Peggy Lee/Lady & The Tramp), it's the problem where the original artist is holding hostage the work that they AGREED to be a part of in the first place (again, think WKRP in Cincinnati or The Wonder Years). As far as I am concerned, once an original artist/publisher agrees to have their work incorporated into another work, they should not have any say in how the second work is published (unless specifics are agreed to upfront). In absence of any language forbidding without consent, then the second artist should be free to produce their work as they see fit (allowing for fair compensation).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks