What's new

TV Shows You've Bought but Won't Complete (1 Viewer)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I'm done with the HB releases. 20+ episodes of Scooby Doo, Jetsons, and Flintstones is more than enough for me. I like all three shows, but I've got too much else to buy and too little shelf space to use on expanding a collection of DVDs that a year after purchasing I still haven't completed.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
Homicide, stopped at season 6. I didnt like the final season 7 at all.

family Guy, blind buy I couldnt stand this show.

Kids in the hall, bought season 1. I dont like the show as much as i used to.

Joe:C

Second Unit
At the moment the only one I can think of that I probably won't complete is Speed Racer. I picked it up because of nostalgia and the low price, but I don't think I've made it through an entire episode. My son has watched it a couple of times, but other than that it has just sat on the shelf.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
The only show I will definitely not complete is ALF. Season 2 will be released in August, and even though the price is great I refuse to buy a set as shoddy as this. Had I known about the syndication debacle before I wouldn't even have bought season 1.

Chris

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Good idea for a thread, although I thought I was the only one picky enough to set these limits.

Here is my list:

24 - Nothing past Season One. S1 was brilliant, fun and fresh. Everything after it became silly, overdone and frankly boring (see Season Three)

ER - while the DVD sets haven't reached Season Five yet, once Clooney left the show it kinda lost some of its charm. I won't buy past season 5.

M*A*S*H - only up to Season Five. Frankly I should have stopped after Trapper left, but the first season with BJ was good. Show went downhill once Frank left.

Sopranos - only up to Season Three. Season Three had its flaws, but on the whole it was still pretty good. Season Four was terrible; several silly and boring episodes. The story went god knows where and frankly I just didn't care about the characters.

The X-Files - only up to Season Five. Carter planned for the show to end at Season Five, go on to a movie series, which is why the final episode of that season was called The End. I wish he had stuck to his guns - the show really went downhill after the move to LA.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Alias - Seasons 1-3 only. For reasons stated above.

X-Files - Seasons 1-6 only. The show never recovered from moving to LA or Chris Carter's endless, nonsensical twisting of the mythology.

ER - Seasons 1-6 only. Clooney leaving the show was really the death knell, but Season 6 had too many good moments to pass up.

Friends - Seasons 1-4 only. Might pick up Season 5 at some point, but definitely none after that.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
How can MASH a show that's about the inssanity of War be too Political? The Movie was political, anti-establishment, so why would a tv show based upon it be any Different

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Angel Couldn't get through Season 3.

24 Bought the first season for $15 so my sisters could backtrack, but I have no deisre to own the other seasons.

La Femme Nikita Still have to watch most of seasone one, and I find it kinda cheesy as compared to Alias,and the sets cost too much money.

Ren and Stimpy Doesn't do it for me like it did "back in the day." Same goes for Space Ghost: Coast to Coast .

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
No more Alf, the butchered season 1 was just to much.

Will probably stop after John-boy (Richard Thomas) leaves, I believe his last season was #5 of the Waltons.

Cant't buy what is not out there, so I can't complete NYPD Blue, would probably have stopped after Simone's death.

ChadKo

Stunt Coordinator
I'm surprised of the people with Married... With Children on the list. Unless you just didnt like the show, it really got better as time grew on, the kids matured, the quality wasnt as dated and the envelope could be pushed further. I hope those decisions were not reflected by the theme song issue.

Chad

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
There are probably two reasons why people stop buying these shows. One, they bought a season to sample it and found it wasn't to their liking. And two, that the show is generally regarded by fans to go downhill after a certain season (Northern Exposure, West Wing, Andy Griffith).

Some people might stick to a show longer if they'd bought a stronger season. For instance, if people bought Simpsons Season 4 or Xena Season 2 first, they'd see the shows at their best.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
With some of the more expensive sets, like the HBO and Paramount sets, the fact that they can be borrowed from the library or rented makes passing on them very easy. I love Six Feet Under and The Sopranos, and I'm dying to see Deadwood, but even though I started buying some of them way back when, there's no point in dropping $60 on sets that I can see for free or for the cost of a couple of rentals. (Heresy, I know! :) )

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
M*A*S*H - probably through season 8 only. After that year, the show changed. The stories seemed to become repetitive and humor became secondary to "making a political statement. Also, the look changed. The grainy, shot-on-film look gave way to a slicker, more TV look. The actors, partically Farrell and Swit, stopped looking like they were in Korea in 1952 and started looking more like Burbank in 1980.

I will pick up the last season if that's the only way to get the final episode, but hopefully they will release it separately.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised at all these great shows that people are just abandoning while there are only two mentions of The X-Files which is universally thought to go downhill in its later seasons (I am of the minority that really enjoyed the entire run of The X-Files, and was in fact sad to see it end, because I would very much have loved a 10th (and beyond) Doggett and Reyes season... but, alas...)

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
Sanford and Son - Bought the first one because there wasn't a lot out there back then. Probably wouldn't've bought it today.

South Park - Sold Season 1. BAD COMPRESSION. And don't really need it.

With Sliders, I would only buy the last 2 or 3 seasons, because that's when it finally got good.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor

WHAT CUT SCENES???? Can anyone please tell me what was cut from Dawson's Creek? Which seasons? I didn't know this!!! :angry:

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Here's the list of shows I won't be completing:

1. Knight Rider - I'm done after the 2nd season.

2. Xena - I collected Seasons 2,3, and 4. That's all I wanted.

3. Moonlighting - I'll collect through Season 3.

4. Magnum P.I. - I'll collect through Season 5.

That's it! (Of course, the rest of my TV collection consists of all the Star Trek series except Enterprise; and Columbo, and M*A*S*H. I'll take everything the studios can give me of the latter two!)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I don't collect a lot of TVonDVD, but I only have Season 1 of Northern Exposure (bought at DDD sale last year) as I have yet to watch past episode 4 or so. I don't buy the other seasons unless I am actually watching them.

When I eventually get Sliders I will get just seasons 1 & 2 as the show went way downhill later.

The changes to Dawson's Creek are really lame...talk about cheap. I already laugh at how bad the compression is on the discs. My wife buys it though, I just mooch once she got me hooked on it :D

I doubt I will ever buy all of the X-files seasons. A big fan of the show, but even at $50 apiece that's a lot of seasons - I've yet to buy even 1 season of it.

I've got South Park S1 as it was cheap, but I never sit down and watch it, so I don't buy the other seasons.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I don't buy TV shows, though I do plan on owning the Whedon shows some day. But I wanna play :D.

I borrow through netlfix, library, friends, and even hollywood video a couple of blocks away, and when I am really desperate (like missin the last disc of the season and cannot wait for it to arrive in the mail), blockbuster... so these will be the few shows I gave up on:

Farscape - Terrific science fiction, real alien concepts, but characters which failed to engage me made the show unwatchable after the much praised S2 finale. A dissapointment given that Babylon 5 (favorite show) never fails to be mentioned in the same breath as this series.

West Wing - Seond season was the best, I really struggled thru the 3rd season. Mostly hurt by the absence of a main arc. Daily crisis became routine and repetitive. Entire characters and plot dissapear as if they never existed, along with the potential of some good stories. Lyman and Donna... did those two ever acknowldge their feelings, let alone get together? Don't care anymore...

Alias - Excellent 1.5 season, lackluster 2nd half of S2, consensus that the show never really rose above that made me quit while it was still good (end of S2), rather than get progressively frustrated as with the above series. I really dug the first 2 seasons though, the human elements made the show.

That's it really...

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks