What's new

TV shows you discovered on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
Sports Night
The Shield
Nip/Tuck
Gilmore Girls
Freaks and Geeks (I'd seen a few, but not many...).
Mr. Show (for all intents and purposes- I'd seen a few, but...).

It's incredibly fun and satisfying to watch a new box of tv-on-dvd. Yes, it's easy to bitch about the high prices on the HBO boxes-- but I totally envy someone who's never seen The Sopranos to sit down and have it all in front of them... Same for Six Feet Under, or Oz, or...

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
discovered:
Family Guy
Futurama

re-discovered:
Dream On

can't live without:
Babylon 5
Quantum Leap
Red Dwarf
Sex & the City (my wife's favorite)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Sports Night
Sex And The City
DS9

None of these were ever shown here, but from the hype, I bought. DS9 isn't truly "blind", since I'd watched TOS/TNG and the movies.

Homicide: Life On The Streets wasn't truly blind either: I'd watched one episode on TV but didn't quite like it then, reading all the reviews I bought the first boxset (S1&2) and am now truly hooked. Curious, that. I'd guess it's because I was younger when Homicide was on TV and its lack of shoot-ups and chases, or for that matter in-your-face confrontation like NYPD made it less attractive then; also, it was "condemned" to the art channel at funny times, making it difficult to keep track of it and follow.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
The short list of shows I ABSOLUTELY ADORE that I saw for the first time on DVD (there are several instances in which I've seen only 1 or 2 episodes of a series before stopping short and waiting for the entire seasons on DVD, like Night Gallery or Six Feet Under. But here are the absolute blind buys:

Freaks & Geeks
American Dreams (thanks for recommending this one Gord L.!)
Sports Night
Greg the Bunny

And one I didn't care for: The Anna Nicole Show (I know, I know. What did I expect?)

RafaelB

Second Unit
A friend gave me ALIAS Season One for my birthday a couple weeks ago, and since I had never seen it before, I was HOOKED!

Now I'm planning to watch seasons 2 and 3 before season four starts in January. :)

Rafael.

SebastienLX

Agent
If you take a look at my DVD collection over at intervocative ( www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/RossRoy ), basically any TV show you see there was a blind buy for me, seeing as I never watch TV, can't stand the commercials. But, the blind buys that totally won me over are :

Alias
Angel
Buffy
Firefly
Futurama
Roswell

Star Trek (I had never seen it on TV)

I'm now about to dive into 24, with the special at Amazon at 15$!

And Lexx is great, in it's own very special way.

DaleC

Agent
My girlfriend and I got absolutely hooked on OZ. We rented the first season b/c I heard a lot of people talking about it at work, so wanted to see what it was about. That night we went and bought it... then S2 and 3...now waiting for S4. Too bad they're pretty short seasons though.

I have The Shield on DVD, though I watched it on TV when it aired, (waiting for S3 in Canada...) and Babylon 5 (which I saw most of when it aired).

Gunnar Syren

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gunnar Syrén
Adventures of Sinbad
Angel
As Time Goes By
Buffy
Dukes of Hazzard
Firefly
Futurama
Invisible Man (Vincent Ventresca)
Lost World
Mr. Show
My So-Called Life
Quantum Leap
S.W.A.T.
Sandbaggers :emoji_thumbsup:
The Shield
Sliders
Sopranos
Spook (MI-5)

and probably some more that I've overlooked

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
"Sledge Hammer!"

"Dallas"

"The Dukes Of Hazzard"

"Quantum Leap"

Great stuff. All bought on reputation...All lived up to.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Bring on the second seasons of each!

Blu

Screenwriter
Buffy
Angel
Sopranos
Sex in the city
B5
The Shield
SG1
Smallville

Well practically nearly every tv dvd set I own, I just don't really enjoy watching shows on tv much anymore. It is just so much better to me to get a set and watch at my leisure a few episodes at a time.

I haven't seen one of these shows before I saw them on DVD first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks