What's new

TV Shows that are unavailable to DVD due to music clearance BS (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
If Shout! can release the entire ABC run of Webster without music cuts, then anything is possible.
smithbrad said:
While I agree that it can and does sometimes allow the producers of these releases to be lazy, it also many times provides an important interim release that if sold in decent fashion by us that support the TV show leads to the viability of these near perfect later releases. I think LHOTP fits that scenario perfectly.
I'm not sure I agree with that entirely. Yes, we're getting a brand spanking new LHOTP on Blu-ray in its original aspect ratio and uncut, how all shows should be. But will they lift a finger to re-do ALF, which was shot on tape? Boy, did they ever screw the pooch on that one. Maybe if they are, they're saving it for the Smurfs-style movie version. People must have bought it if they released all four seasons, but the cuts got worse and worse with each set until some episodes were under 20 minutes.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
MatthewA said:
If Shout! can release the entire ABC run of Webster without music cuts, then anything is possible.

I'm not sure I agree with that entirely. Yes, we're getting a brand spanking new LHOTP on Blu-ray in its original aspect ratio and uncut, how all shows should be. But will they lift a finger to re-do ALF, which was shot on tape? Boy, did they ever screw the pooch on that one. Maybe if they are, they're saving it for the Smurfs-style movie version. People must have bought it if they released all four seasons, but the cuts got worse and worse with each set until some episodes were under 20 minutes.
I'll tell you why I think this is the case with LHOTP:

1. Imavision acquires the rights to release LHOTP from NBC. Imavision is not a large company, in the 20+ employee range. Other much larger companies with bigger budgets could have gotten there first but they didn't. Why? Possibly because no one was sure how well it would sell after so many years, or maybe understood the work needed to get it into the best shape. In any case, they appear to have passed and allowed Imavision to get the rights.

2. Imavision starts releasing LHOTP in 2003 using old syndicated cuts. Why? Because they are a small company without the financial resources to take on remastering from original film elements. Or maybe the film elements weren't available to them at the time. Regardless of the cuts and questionable print quality it sells showing the true market for the product.

3. Liongate buys Imavision in 2007 with the flagship product in the purchase being the rights to LHOTP. Liongate continues to sell LHOTH in its current DVD form from 2007 through 2013. Obviously, the market shows that it continues to be a strong enough release (warts and all). Liongate either gains access to the original film prints from NBC or elements are located that previously were unavailable. In any case, Liongate is ready to take it to the next level and produce HD masters for sale as new DVD/Blu-ray releases, as well I'm sure future HD syndication.

So the question has to be asked, would LHOTP have gotten to this point of receiving an HD quality Blu-ray release without first going through Imavision? Without proof of being a viable product for future HD syndication would Liongate have purchased Imavision and risked the expense of remastering from original film elements. Sure it is possible, but I think it's easy to paint the picture that the Imavision release was an important step in getting this show where it is today, and that all those sales of the lesser DVD release helped pave the way.

I'm not saying all lesser quality releases should just be accepted at face value, or that we should just be happy to purchase whatever is made available, or that it will always lead to newer/improved versions. But for a title someone really wants it may be worth the expense from time to time to show the viability of the market, and not just holdout for a perfect release that may never materialize on its own.

In the case of LHOTP, we are currently on our second viewing of the DVD's and will be finished way before the complete series is available on Blu-ray. I'm very happy with the release and as Jimmie might say "something is better than nothing" (but of course not in this context). I have no regrets with the DVD purchase and if this was all that was ever released I would have no regrets. However, I feel I helped contribute (like many) to this upcoming Blu-ray release, and will happily purchase it for future viewings.

In addition, I will do the same for other titles of high interest if I think it has the potential.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
2qi4ppz.jpg

With LHOTP, I'm watching this series for the 1st time with my Mom. I don't know how much longer that will be possible to do, with Mom's age. The point is, we both are really enjoying this series on dvd, although cut, but without ads and on our own viewing schedule.

If I were to wait for a perfect or near-perfect series release, I'd still be waiting today, having begun watching the series last year and as a 1st-time viewer. There's also a time issue with some of us. Waiting for years for a perfect or virtually perfect series release isn't a good option for some, perhaps many out there in this hobby.

For example, if I'd waited for one of my holy grails, "Combat!", for a completely remastered non-time-compressed release, I'd still be waiting.

The 1st season vol 1 of that series was released by Image in July '04 and the last S5 volume was released in Aug '05.

As of today, that's 8½ years and (I guess) some are still waiting for that perfect, perhaps BR release. That's fine for those that choose to wait. However, I don't subscribe to the idea that we all should hold out, ie, don't support any studio with the assumption that the near-perfect release will be forthcoming some day.

It's all about the individual choice with this as well as any hobby. It's similar to the old double-dipping question. I rarely dd, but I understand why many in the hobby do that.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Jeff Willis said:
2qi4ppz.jpg

With LHOTP, I'm watching this series for the 1st time with my Mom. I don't know how much longer that will be possible to do, with Mom's age. The point is, we both are really enjoying this series on dvd, although cut, but without ads and on our own viewing schedule.

If I were to wait for a perfect or near-perfect series release, I'd still be waiting today, having begun watching the series last year and as a 1st-time viewer. There's also a time issue with some of us. Waiting for years for a perfect or virtually perfect series release isn't a good option for some, perhaps many out there in this hobby.

For example, if I'd waited for one of my holy grails, "Combat!", for a completely remastered non-time-compressed release, I'd still be waiting.

The 1st season vol 1 of that series was released by Image in July '04 and the last S5 volume was released in Aug '05.

As of today, that's 8½ years and (I guess) some are still waiting for that perfect, perhaps BR release. That's fine for those that choose to wait. However, I don't subscribe to the idea that we all should hold out, ie, don't support any studio with the assumption that the near-perfect release will be forthcoming some day.

It's all about the individual choice with this as well as any hobby. It's similar to the old double-dipping question. I rarely dd, but I understand why many in the hobby do that.
Good example about Combat! I guess the response for some is that they already have plenty to watch. But in the end it also states something about how much they wanted it, if they are willing to risk going without. Combat! would be a good title to add to the list of "will it every come out uncut, non-time-compressed, from original film elements".

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
For right now (since I'm pressed for time) I'll simply say "Bravo" to Brad and Jeff. Great posts that make great points. I too will create a list of series that I don't think we will ever see complete, with no music substitutions to see if Jimmy or others want to take a shot at predicting will come out.

Gary "I still say no dice on a complete, all-music intact Wonder Years set - to me that's a pipe dream only" O.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
smithbrad said:
Hey Jimmie, how so? You also made indications in other threads that as long as we buy lesser quality releases (lets just say mediocre due to syndicated cuts, lower video quality, music substitution), that we give the producers of these releases the okay to continue the practice, and that the only way to stop it is to not buy until they deliver near perfect releases (i.e., sending them the message). LHOTP falls into this category of a mediocre release and yet we are about to get a better release. How does this fits your model?

While I agree that it can and does sometimes allow the producers of these releases to be lazy, it also many times provides an important interim release that if sold in decent fashion by us leads to the viability of these near perfect later releases. I think LHOTP fits that scenario perfectly.
and as long as there are enough people who agree with you, we will continue to get inferior releases.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
MatthewA said:
It's part of the reason I despise the song "Imagine." John Lennon imagining no possessions took an awful lot of work.
LOL. john lennon was just a very messed up individual. i used to feel anger towards him for the life that he actually led. but now i feel more sympathy for him, than anything else. for all that peace he sang about, he probably never had any in his life.

if we want to have any sort of ability to enjoy entertainment, we need to separate the person from the character - or 9 times out of 10, we will be disappointed.

i have already felt that sort of disappointment many times.

michael landon was certainly no charles ingalls. but he was involved with 3 of the best shows on tv.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
lassie, my three sons, 12 o'clock high.

not familiar enough with the other 3 to give an opinion.

btw, i already did this for people in another thread !!

i would say that there are at least 30-40 shows that i went on record as.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
perhaps you could start a thread called "shows that jimmy thinks will come out".

then you can point at me for every show that hasnt come out on my list YET !!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hey brad,

for all the disagreeing that we do, i wanted you to know that i do think you place forth well thought out posts.

as you said, we are just miles apart as to what we think reality is !!

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Neil Brock said:
So, what do you think about The Beatles charging $250K for use of any of their songs?
That's nothing. I heard The Doors wanted 400K for use of one of their songs :rolleyes:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
jimmyjet said:
lassie, my three sons, 12 o'clock high.
Jimmy, I really can't see CBS going back and fixing the two seasons of My Three Sons they've already released (after butchering the backscore) and going forward with perfect future seasons on top of that - but if you think they will I'll echo the words of a famous Mayberrian:

Gary "just all in good fun to lighten the mood a bit" O. :D

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Gary OS said:
Jimmy, I really can't see CBS going back and fixing the two seasons of My Three Sons they've already released (after butchering the backscore) and going forward with perfect future seasons on top of that - but if you think they will I'll echo the words of a famous Mayberrian:

Gary "just all in good fun to lighten the mood a bit" O. :D

oops, there goes another rubber tree plant !!

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Ethan Riley said:
American Dreams. They put out season one more or less intact. It was pricey. It didn't sell. They never bothered with seasons two and three.
It's now available for $11.82 at Amazon. I thought that it had gone out of print, but apparently not.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
jimmyjet said:
and as long as there are enough people who agree with you, we will continue to get inferior releases.
And as long as there are people like us keeping things going you get to sit back and enjoy more improved releases like LHOTP over time. Because without the sales we generate there would not be the budget nor the evidence of future sales to substantiate the releases we all want.

No problem. Your welcome. :)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
jimmyjet said:
hey brad,

for all the disagreeing that we do, i wanted you to know that i do think you place forth well thought out posts.

as you said, we are just miles apart as to what we think reality is !!
I was thinking the Grand canyon myself, but miles will do.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Richard Gallagher said:
McCartney and Yoko Ono don't own the Beatles catalog, although they will own the Lennon-McCartney songs in five years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2394325/Sir-Paul-McCartney-set-win-rights-Beatles-catalogue.html
I thought it was common knowledge the Beatles weren't owned by any of the prior Beatles. That was the rift people Paul and Michael Jackson.

The real bit is...what has happened to the catalog since MJ's death and his loans against it?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
jimmyjet said:
Just curious Jimmie, my post #82 that lists a series of events starting with Imavision through Liongate to the upcoming LHOTP Blu-ray and DVD releases using the original uncut elements. To you there is absolutely no possible validity to the scenario that the earlier purchases of the syndicated prints helped fuel Liongate's desire to obtain the license, nor did it help them fund the expense to remaster the elements for the upcoming release?

While you provided your general answer about not purchasing lesser quality releases, you never actually responded to the merits of this particular title and the series of events I listed or provided a differing opinion of what may have taken place. I was just curious to see if you wanted to elaborate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks