What's new

TV Shows should be on Itunes? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:

I recently got on Itunes, and was surprised by all the tv programs available for download, but not suprisingly most of them are fairly current programs. The exceptions being Star Trek, Thriller, Lost in Space, and Lucy.

I have to admit I'm partially thrilled by this. Friday night, my Fox affiliate went down due to network problems,and I missed the telecast of Fringe. However, Saturday morning it was available for download. Granted, it cost 2.99 and I was able to watch it on my little classic.

Now I'm still for buying TV-DVD's, don't think I've come to discourage that. But I just love the fact I didn't miss my Fringe episode for very long.

What do you think guys?

And lastly, do you think itunes can handle all the potential tv programs to be downloaded--even more obscure programs.

James

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I'm thrilled that iTunes is offering a number of classic tv shows in HD, including the classic HAWAII FIVE-O and the more recent TWIN PEAKS. This is as close as you can get to a Blu-Ray release of these shows, and they look amazing!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hmm well not sure about that I think the only Hawaii Five O that Itunes has is the Recent Remake. And any classic TV Show up there would be in DVD res. I'd love to see classic shows come to itunes , but they would need to be 0.99 and episode to get me to stop buying the dvd sets.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I downloaded several of the HD episodes of the classic H50 series from iTunes, and they appear to be 720p, not 1080p, but still, there's a noticeable improvement in the quality. They're easy to find on iTunes, just do a search. They are offering the first 3 seasons of the series for $1.99 an episode, or around $40 for a season.

This comes as no surprise since it's a CBS/P show, and based on the syndication bible, the recent transfers for this and many other CBS/P shows were done in High Definition, then released on DVD in Standard Definition. Since I doubt many of these shows including H5O will ever get a blu-ray DVD release, these downloads will have to do I guess.

Additionally, there are devices being sold that allow you to network your computer and TV together, so you can view many downloads or streaming content on your TV, which makes the iTunes format even more viable, along with Netflix. In fact, Netflix offers episodes of many series such as GUNSMOKE and HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL that aren't on DVD yet, which is another bonus.

The same caveats that applied to DVD releases of shows will apply to iTunes and other download/streaming releases, however: music licensing, uncut vs. syndication prints, etc., so anyone hoping that shows that never made it to DVD will hopefully make it to digital or DVD-R will probably need to modify their expectations (i.e. don't expect a pristine version of "WKRP" or "Wonder Years" to be available in this format). I don't think there will be a flood of previously unreleased content, for the most part. It's simply the studios adding another revenue stream for an older property that's not making $$ on DVD as much these days or in syndication.

Granted, I will ALWAYS prefer DVD over digital downloads or DVD-R's, but the future of TV on DVD seems to be starting to migrate in this direction, and so far I like how it looks. I'm the type of person that will always prefer having a hard copy in nice packaging that I can hold in my hands and display on a shelf versus something stored on a computer (it's the same way for me with digital comic books, which are starting to ramp up as well).

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I was'nt aware they were selling them So I'll check it out. agree I'll take a 720p HD show of 480p anyday. I've always said that Itunes and Similar DL services would be the way these studeios could offer shows they find too costly to release on DVD or Blu Ray. I doubt H5O will ever be on Blu Ray I'm surprised we are getting them all on DVD. So Now I ight have to rethink my DVD on TV Purchases for those older shows that have had HD Masters produced.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I did see them on Itunes, Even Better News Itunes has put up all six seasons of Green Acres. I'm Downloading season 4 now, standard Def 19.99 a season, reasonable. I'm not waiting on MGM anymore. Being an Apple TV user I'm starting to think we have a real chance to get alot of stalled released thru Itunes.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Do you think they'll release more "obscure" stuff like Salvage I, High Chapparal, Duck Dodgers, etc?

James

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Also saw in the USA Today, that certain companies like Netflex that are stream tv shows and movies, and more interested in Hollywood companies' back libraries of material, even as the market has fallen on DVD's.

So who knows, maybe that'll give added value to older tv programs?

James

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
There are a few animated series available on iTunes that have not been released on dvd yet.

One being the Filmation "Batman and Robin" series from 1968 that has not been part of the dvd releases

of the New Adventures of Superman series that made up the "Batman/Superman Hour"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Batman/Superman_Hour

Also, iTunes has the 8 Scooby Doo shows from 1977, packaged as "the scooby doo show season 2"

These "missing" episodes not on dvd that were actually originally part of the first Season of Scooby's

All Star Laff-a-Lympics (the 2 hour cartoon block that contained a new Scooby Doo show, Captain Caveman,

Blue Falcon and Dynomutt, and two Laff-a-lympic shorts)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scooby%27s_All-Star_Laff-A-Lympics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scooby-Doo_Show

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Guys, are there any particular programs that you can think of --that would really fit coming out on Itunes?

Do you think some tv series, that aren't available otherwise would be profitable for the company?

Any particular ones that you'd really jump at?

James

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Hope I can get a few more opinions here.

I really wish I could get Big O, Spice and Wolf, and Code Geass when it comes to anime on itunes. There are a few scenes I want to show a friend, and it would be easier to show them on a classic Ipod, than carrying a bulky DVD player around.

I also wish more classic programs like High Chapparal, Search, and RARER programs might show up.

For unseen (or lost) episodes, I've love for Spy Games, Salvage 1, and Young Maverick to be shown.

For cartoons, I'd love to see Buzz Lightyear (there were two episodes withheld from the Toon Disney run, that I'd like to see), Duck Dodgers,

There's an episode of Duck Dodgers, "The Seven Gazillion Dollar Duck" that again, I would love to show to a friend on the classic. The opening sequence is one of the funniest thing ever shown in animation IMHO. Genius, comedy genius.

You can tell, one of my criteria are series having "lost" episodes, those that had a few unshown adventues because the networks decided to put something else in the time slot, as opposed to finishing the series run.

Having them available to show on an ipod, can really help make it more available to show others. Get them involved in the program, appreciate the genius of the writers, etc.

I am amazed at how fast Ipods puts some television shows on the available to download page. Sadly, it's mostly the current stuff. I do wonder if to be downloadable, the company uses DVD copies for the older programs.

Any other opinions?

James

KPK15

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Karcher
Could someone try to get me Itunes gift claim codes so i download these shows & episodes

I really would like to see the missing 8 Scooby Doo Shows + The Jetsons the rest of Season 2 episodes that are not on DVD yet

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks