What's new

TV Shows in MGM's 2nd wave of MOD (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Is there any update on when the first season set of Highway Patrol is being released by MGM? I've checked on Amazon.com and there's still no release date on it's listing page for the set.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I am still waiting for Green Acres: The Complete Fourth Season and the remaining seasons that follow. Hopefully this series will show up on MGM/Fox's release list soon.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Green Acres is a title that could still do well on retail release DVDs, Eitehr mass market or something like SHOUT! Direct.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Bert Greene

I haven't seen, though, like "King of Diamonds" and that "Aquanauts" thing (which I 'think' is Ziv).
Oh, and I'll definately be getting "Flipper" too!

I had a chance to see Aquanauts recently, as well as Malibu Run, which the show morphed into. It's kind of like a cross between Sea Hunt and all of those Warner Brothers action adventure shows of that era. And, yes, it is also a Ziv property, although it ran on the network so it has better production values and better guest stars than the usual low budget Ziv property.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by WaveCrest

Is there any update on when the first season set of Highway Patrol is being released by MGM? I've checked on Amazon.com and there's still no release date on it's listing page for the set.

I just check Amazon and Highway Patrol is now up for sale as of today!

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard

Originally Posted by Neil Brock

I just check Amazon and Highway Patrol is now up for sale as of today!

Thanks for sharing this. It's $10 more than Shout! Factory's Simon & Simon: Season Five boxset, but there are five extra discs and more episodes. MGM must have added one more disc, because I'm sure the previous front cover artwork had "10-Disc Set" instead of "11-Disc Set".

I've checked Highway Patrol's episode guide on EpGuides.com and it says there were 39 episodes in the first season. However, they're 30 minute episodes. So if they were an hour long each, it's more like 19-20 hour long episodes in this set. And with a $59.98 price tag it's too much at the moment.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
This one would be a blind buy for me but it sounds interesting. $59.98 is a little out of my range but will keep an eye on the price.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Might there be any vintage commercials included with the episodes in this first season set?

Will be interesting to see if the set is a plastic DVD case with the eleven discs inside, or if it consists of a cardboard outer case with six slipcases inside (slipcases 1 to 5 having two discs inside them, and slipcase 6 having one disc inside it).

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

I had a chance to see Aquanauts recently, as well as Malibu Run, which the show morphed into. It's kind of like a cross between Sea Hunt and all of those Warner Brothers action adventure shows of that era. And, yes, it is also a Ziv property, although it ran on the network so it has better production values and better guest stars than the usual low budget Ziv property.
I maybe misremembering, but wasn't THE AQUANAUTS network and then a big reduction in budget and the loss of one of the two main stars and it became MALIBU RUN for syndication airings?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

This one would be a blind buy for me but it sounds interesting. $59.98 is a little out of my range but will keep an eye on the price.

I've had the privilege of seeing several episodes and I enjoyed them thoroughly. When I got the email yesterday from Amazon telling me the set was available for order I went ahead and bit the bullet. It is a high price and I imagine the set will come down in price at least a little, but I've wanted this one for a while so I just paid the full price and now it's on its way to my door.

If I'm the first to receive this I'll let everyone know how the print quality is.

Gary "it will be nice to have a clean copy of the Christmas episode" O.

S

silverking

Wavecrest - 'Highway Patrol' was always a half hour slot, as I think were all ZIV series.

Thesr has been a slight reduction down to $53.99 already.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by silverking

Wavecrest - 'Highway Patrol' was always a half hour slot, as I think were all ZIV series.

Thesr has been a slight reduction down to $53.99 already.

I knew it was a half hour show from checking Highway Patrol's EpGuides.com page.

When the set was $59.99, with shipping to the UK added it came to over £44.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
39 Episodes on 11 Discs just doesn't sound right - should be able to put 4 shows on one disc.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by DeWilson

39 Episodes on 11 Discs just doesn't sound right - should be able to put 4 shows on one disc.

Could MGM have included some DVD extras in the set to fill up the eleven discs?

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Originally Posted by DeWilson

These are probably single-layer DVD-Rs, so wouldn't that be pushing the quality envelope in the wrong direction?

As far as period commercials, I think these are coming from studio materials, and as the series was distributed in syndication to local stations, not networked nationally, I'd think there wouldn't be any imbedded commercials.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Penna

These are probably single-layer DVD-Rs, so wouldn't that be pushing the quality envelope in the wrong direction?

I'm not sure why there continues to be questions about the quality. These are half hour shows and putting 4 episodes on a disc is not a problem for a single-layer DVD-R. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't try to squeeze 6 or 7 episodes on each disc (which would have been stretching it).

Gary "my set should arrive tomorrow - I'll report back when it shows up" O.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Gary OS
I'm not sure why there continues to be questions about the quality. These are half hour shows and putting 4 episodes on a disc is not a problem for a single-layer DVD-R. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't try to squeeze 6 or 7 episodes on each disc (which would have been stretching it).  

Gary "my set should arrive tomorrow - I'll report back when it shows up" O.

Agreed - anything running two hours or less should look fine on a single-layer DVD-R. I'm about to pull the trigger but I'm going to wait for your verdict.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Gary OS

I'm not sure why there continues to be questions about the quality. These are half hour shows and putting 4 episodes on a disc is not a problem for a single-layer DVD-R.

Even at 25-26 minutes each they could go 5 per disc and still look not be a quality problem - we're only talking 5 extra minutes at VBR wouldn't make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks