What's new

tv show you'd buy but will never make it to dvd (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Some seconds and some personal picks with my reasons as to why they may never arrive:

-"G.L.O.W" (Too obscure)
-"Fridays" (May be too obscure)
-"Paper Dolls" (include the pilot with Daryl Hannah and "Baywatch" star Alexandra Paul as a bonus feature) (Too obscure)
-"Out Of This World" (Too obscure)
-"Max Headroom" (with the original pilot) (May be too obscure)
-"The Tracey Ullman Show" (Music Rights issues)
-"Tracey Takes On..." (May be too obscure)
-"California Dreams" (May be too obscure)
-"You Can't Do That On Television" (May be too obscure or have had the tapes erased)
-"The Adventures Of Pete & Pete" (Clearance issues of various sorts)
-"Roundhouse" (Too obscure)
-"Mad TV" (Possible Music Rights issues)
-"Saturday Night Live" (If ever a show was begging for one of those create-your-own-DVD treatments, it would be this one. Broadway Video would be clanging all the way to the bank.)
-"Kids Incorporated" (Music Rights issues)
-"Miami Vice" (Music Rights issues)
-"Just Say Julie" (Music Rights issues)
-"Square One Televsion" (Celebrity clearance issues)
-"Daria" (Music Rights issues)
-"Night Flight" (Clearance issues period)
-"Solid Gold" (Clearance issues period)

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Well, a guy can dream, can't he?

Justin Larson

Auditioning
Oh man... NIGHT FLIGHT. I don't EVEN know how they'd format it if it were to be done, but I'd be on it like white on rice.

Put me down for:

Max Headroom
Ralph Bakshi's New Adventures of Mighty Mouse
Ren & Stimpy
Flying Blind
Cop Rock (nope, not kidding)
Titus
Undeclared

Chris^B

Auditioning
One I know I'll never see...
Dangerous Minds -- I really liked this show. The movie was retched and horrible, but I gave the show a chance anyway and I fell in love. It encompassed a really intellectual drama to it. Unfortunately, it never caught on. And then, in an effort to make it more friendly, they dumbed it down. Regardless, I think there are probably only two other fans of this show out there.

Ones that I really doubt I'll ever see.
The Secret World of Alex Mack
Rocko's Modern Life
Diff'rent Strokes (I think it's popular enough, but isn't there legal issues with this one?)

LindseyS

Stunt Coordinator
Sister, Sister with Tia and Tamera Mowry. I'd love to see this without all the edits that Disney channel does.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
Ooh I just remembered... OWL TV!

Does anyone else remember it? An educational show for kids... always ended with a bunch of kids working together to build something...?

Love that theme song... with the dancing cartoon Owl. :)

And while I'm at it...some more educational (but fun!) shows I watched as a kid... I'd buy these, if by some miracle they were released: Read-Along, Read All About It, Sesame Street (the original!), Mr. Rogers Neighbourhood...

Scott Bender

Auditioning
I have to agree with the a couple of the previous posters:

Adventures of Brisco County Jr.

One of my all time favorite TV shows. Unfortunately it was on for only one season and it was quite a while ago and the ratings weren't so good, so I'm not too hopeful of it ever making it to DVD.

I have all the episodes on video but then, I don't have a VHS player anymore...

Scott

CraigCA

Auditioning
I would love to see a "Failed shows" set with 10 or more really awful pilot episodes of shows that never aired, or shows that only lasted an episode or two, doesn't everyone want to see episodes of shows like "Supertrain"? How 'bout "Hail to the chief" with Patty Duke as president of the United States, or "Second chances" the night-time soap opera with Jennifer Lopez, or David Letterman's acting on "Mary" with Mary Tyler Moore.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
All of Ally McBeal is available on DVD in the UK.

Two series called The Invisible Man are, too (I don't know which version you meant).

A couple of good Columbo discs are available here, too.

A two-disc Fraggle Rock DVD is coming soon here.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I have the British Invisible Man DVDs from England (50s Black and white). I'm waiting on Ally McBeal, hoping we see it over here.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
"Muppet Babies" season sets (Film and TV clip clearance could be a nightmare, but the 4 episodes already on DVD are intact...Maybe they could do the same with the over-100 others?)

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Really wants to see "Twinkle Toe Muppets" and "This Little Piggy Went To Hollywood" again.

JulianK

Supporting Actor

I feel like I should apologise on behalf of the entire UK DVD industry, for the terrible quality of those discs!

Still, you do get a bonus soundtrack with each episode!

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
From all the posts mentioning You Can't Do that On Television and Pete and Pete. Does Viacom even realize what a goldmine they are sitting on with their old shows? Who cares about Fairly Odd Parents and Spongebob when I could be watching people get slimed!? (back when the slime was all nasty and chunky instead of this puree stuff they have now). The one more recent show that Nickelodeon/Viacom needs to put on DVD is Invader Zim (if Johnen Vasquez will agree to it, maybe put down some commentary as well).

Brisco County Jr. also needs to get picked up for DVD. Columbia House has them on VHS, if you're really hardcore for them. I'd like to see Jack of All Trades as well. I think it was only on for two seasons, if that.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I'm not sure how well they hold up today, but Automan and Street Hawk were pretty cool when I was in elementary school. I think each of them lasted only 13 episodes, so I would buy them if the price was right.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Another vote for "Cop Rock" here. I know that everything from the Spielberg/WB cartoons to "Sesame Street" got their digs in at this program, but I never saw it myself, save for 3 minutes when it ran on VH1 for a brief time. I'd definitely buy this...It was only one season, so it could work.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

A singing cop show...Who writes this stuff?;)

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Parker Lewis Can't Lose
Get Real
Flying Blind
Darkroom

I'm still holding out hope for Andy Richter Controls the Universe.

Rob Keil

Agent
I'm beginning to fear that "The Bob Newhart Show" will never make it to DVD because Mary Tyler Moore was abandoned after only 1 season due to poor sales. These 2 shows were made by many of the same people, at the same time, for the same network, and rights are owned by the same company- Fox.

The Bob Newhart Show is my favorite series of all time, so this will be a real disappointment if it never makes it. On the other hand Fox is one of the top TV-on-DVD studios, so hopefully they will come through for us "Bob" fans someday.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
All seven episodes of On The Air from David Lynch & Mark Frost.
I'll add a vote for The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr..

Although the chances seem small, I would love to see some of the ABC Movie of the Week films:

The Challenge (1970) with Darren McGavin and Mako
Haunts of the Very Rich (1972) with Lloyd Bridges
The Chill Factor (1973) with Robert Culp
Isn't It Shocking (1973) with Louise Lasser & Alan Alda
Savages (1974) with Andy Griffith

and, not a MOW film but made for tv:

The Bermuda Depths (1978)

- Walter.

John_Dee

Grip
- Scrubs (although there was some promising rumours not long ago, not too hopeful)
- John Doe
- ALF (for some reason just got a feeling we won't see this, starting to get same feeling over Family Ties and New Adventures of Superman as well)
- Hanging with Mr Cooper
- California Dreams
- Brotherly Love
- complete series or season releases of 1994's Spider-Man cartoon
- complete Spin City
- rest of mad About You
- Caroline in the City

I'd also love to see best of releases for the sports shows Pardon the Interruption and Around the Horn with all the best and funniest bits/arguements

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks