What's new

tv show you'd buy but will never make it to dvd (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I know a couple episodes got a quasi-release (edited into feature-length) to cash in on James Gandolfini's appearance, but I would like a complete, dignified release of Robert Altman's GUN miniseries. It was a great concept, almost too good for ABC.

Also, the entire 5-episode run of the surrealistic NO SOAP, RADIO with Steve Gutenberg and Bill Dana. This show actually replaced POLICE SQUAD on ABC, and managed to be even stranger.

Of all the BBC shows getting out, I'm surprised and a little scared that I haven't seen CHEF! with Lenny Henry. Watching him behave beastly to customers and employees alike was a great salve after a bad day at work.

other miscellany
THE DUCK FACTORY
DARKROOM
FRACTURED FLICKERS
WAY OUT
GHOST STORY/CIRCLE OF FEAR
NICHOLS with James Garner

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

That bothered me alot too! I couldn't believe they had cut that out of an official dvd release!

Gary "I bought the set and thought it was decent, except for that stupid cut" OS

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well, had this question been asked 8 months ago, my list would have been VERY, VERY LONG. But since then so many older classics have been released, or at least announced, that my list is much shorter and my hopes are much greater!

Although I now believe these two shows will somehow eventually get released, I'll list them since others have:

The Wonder Years
The Greatest American Hero

Here are some that I really don't have alot of hope for, in spite of the recent surge in classic tv being released to dvd this year:

Father Knows Best
Leave it to Beaver
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Daniel Boone
It's Your Move
Shazzam
The Lone Ranger
(I'm talking season sets here - since some episodes have been released)

Gary "I think the shows I listed above just aren't quite popular enough to ever get serious consideration, even though some of them are clearly classics" OS

John KB

Second Unit
Two shows that I could think of the top of my head:

HELL TOWN with Robert Blake. I believe there was the tv movie, plus about six episodes. I have them all on tape. It's the show where he plays a really tough priest.

And JACK and JILL, it was on FOX I believe a couple of years ago.

Med

Stunt Coordinator

Mike, I posted a thread a month or two ago asking if this series was anywhere near getting a DVD release and I got exactly 0 replies! I assumed I was the only one who'd welcome the show on DVD but maybe I'm wrong. Are there any rights problems with this series or just a lack of interest?

Out of other shows mentioned already, I'd buy 'The Greatest American Hero' & 'Birds of Prey' (doesn't look like the latter will show up on UK TV anytime soon).

To the list I'd also add...

American Gothic & Duckman.

Julia*D

Agent
Off the top of my head, I'd go with:

Garrison's Gorillas
The Strip
Voyagers!
12 O'Clock High
The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.
GvsE

I would have said Tour of Duty a couple months ago but now it is coming out in June. :)

Eric Eash

Second Unit
i remember as a kid, i liked a show called "The Highwaymen". i looked it up and i guess it only ran one season. it was kinda cheesy now that i think of it, but then, i thought it was cool. it was about 2 guys who both drove these futuristic semi-trucks, one of which had a helicopter which came out of the back. it'll never come to dvd, but oh well.

eric

RobinO

Stunt Coordinator
I am practically in tears knowing that Homefront will probably never come out on DVD. It was only on for two seasons but it is one of my all-time favorite shows ever.

I am hoping someday that Wings will come out too. I would love to have every season from that show in my library.

Med

Stunt Coordinator
One I forgot earlier...how could I?...The Larry Sanders Show.

Having the first season on DVD with no more planned releases is really frustrating. I hope Columbia rethink this one and try a second season set at a more reasonable price. I'm sure this would encourage better sales and this great show truly deserves the effort.

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

That show sounds really cool. I dunno if it's the name of just that a helicopter comes out of the back. Man I wish I had seen that show.

Mike_Craft

Stunt Coordinator
Family Matters
sliders
reboot s1-2

and a show that probably will come on dvd that i want is lois and clark

Bill Parisho

Stunt Coordinator
How about these:
The Two Ronnies
The remaining Hullabaloo shows
Sesaon sets of Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In
Uncut episodes of The Flip Wilson Show
The Lieutenant (produced by Gene Roddenbury)
Bill Parisho

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
I'd be first in line for a couple of recent ones: "Hidden Hills" and "Fastlane".

Going back a little over 10 years here, but I really liked "The Jackie Thomas Show" starring Tom Arnold, Alison LaPlaca and Dennis Boutsikaris. I'd pick up a DVD set of those.

RobinsonMead

Auditioning
Here's one I would run out and buy ten copies of just to share with my friends and family, but will never ever happen, not in this hemisphere at least:
The Games (1998-2000, Australia)
Think a mix of Sports Night, The Office and a pinch of Fawlty Towers

I would like to see Flying Blind on dvd.I thought this was a really good show and think that FOX should have given it another chance.

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
"The Marshall Chronicles," a 6-episode-long-until-it-was-killed series on ABC about 10 years ago that was (in my memory) so funny, and so quickly exterminated, it almost seems like the product of my imagination. And it had Randy Newman's "Falling in Love" as its theme song.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The TV shows that I would like to purchase on DVD, but will probably never have an opportunity to, are:

Salvage! - Surprisingly, I'm about the fourth person in this thread to mention this series. The pilot episode involving a plot to salvage the moon was an instant classic!

Maverick - What's really shocking to me is that I only know of two episodes of this series that have ever been released to any format! This is a western with a satiric "bite" that's as funny today as it was in the late 50's and early 60's when it originally aired. You would think that the star power alone (James Garner and Roger Moore) would be enough to garner a release! Perhaps they're waiting for a tie-in with the Mel Gibson Maverick movie sequel?? (I hope not, since there's not going to be one to my knowledge.)

Brisco County Jr. - This show has also been mentioned by several people in this thread. This series would look and sound glorious on DVD. And the series - a mixture of Western, Science Fiction, and Comedy genres - would probably explode in this format. I thought it represented Bruce Campbell's best work ever! "Gimme some sugar, baby", indeed!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks