What's new

TV season sets on LD vs DVD (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Kip Teague wrote:

Other TV series which were released in limited, selected fashion on LD were Mission Impossible (5 volumes), Northern Exposure (at least five), The Fugitive and Alfred Hitchcock Presents.
...and don't forget AMAZING STORIES and QUANTUM LEAP. I have a few of those, along with one FUGITIVE and a couple of NORTHERN EXPOSUREs.

Harry

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
there was just something about those old laserdisc box sets: huge, majestic, impressive-packed with extras like books, cds, and in the case of GETTYSBURG, an "authentic civil war bullet". THey don't make 'em like that no more and I can't help but feel that something has been lost.
Yeah... an unnecessary division between "haves" and "have-nots" among movie lovers. And good riddance to it.

Christopher_J_F

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget the TWIN PEAKS Japanese box set! This MASSIVE set was 15 discs + a 10" bonus disc in a stunning box (each disc in it's own sleeve too) that is so huge it threatened to collapse under it's own weight! It's beautuful!

... I've got it. ;)
All three seasons of MillenniuM were released there too, but I've only been able to track down the first set so far...

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Brantley
I enjoy my "Adventures of Superman" LDs, which have selected episodes from the old George Reeve TV series of the 1950s. I should have sold my "Space: 1999" laserdiscs when they were worth a bunch -- which was before the series came out on DVD.

I believe "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" was on LD in Japan. I'd love to see an eventual domestic DVD release of that series, as well as "Lost in Space." Speaking of the latter, I think only one volume of "Lost in Space" came out on LD, and several more volumes made it out on VHS but never hit LD. I'm looking forward to that show on DVD.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I have Twin Peaks on LD :)

But most of the DS9, all TNG, and TAS. I will say this: DS9 -looks- better on LD, even now, then any of the DVD box sets.. the compression artifacts on the box sets are bad (part of what you get for cramming 4 hours onto a DVD) whereas the LDs seem pristine; but the audio is much better on the DVD, obviously.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
I have the first 3 seasons of Mission Impossible. I forgot where I put them as I can only find one box from the first season. There were 4 seasons 8 boxes released in Japan. They are fantastic except for the Japanese title cards. If they could have just subtitled them in Japanese that would have been even better!

Joel C

Screenwriter
But most of the DS9, all TNG, and TAS. I will say this: DS9 -looks- better on LD, even now, then any of the DVD box sets.. the compression artifacts on the box sets are bad (part of what you get for cramming 4 hours onto a DVD)
Actually, it's only 3 hours... or less. There are at least 15 minutes of commercials per episode.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Actually, it's only 3 hours... or less. There are at least 15 minutes of commercials per episode.
And things like the main titles only have to be stored on each disc once, instead of four times, and getting even 4 hours of material onto a dual-layer DVD is not that big a deal.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks