What's new

TV Program Viewing Method Poll (1 Viewer)

What is your primary way to watch current TV programming?

• Total voters

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I still use my HTPC to record the series that I watch but I am also spending more time using streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon. My wife got me a Roku 2 a few months ago and she and my daughter use it more than anything else. I still use my HTPC to record shows because I can stream them to my tablet no matter where I am. I can hardly wait for Google Fiber to get here because I will be able to stream 125 HD channels to my Nexus 7.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
We stream 95% of our TV viewing, it couldn't be easier using a Roku.

Had directv for many many years, and just dropped it last year as we simply were not using it. We did recently hook it back up with just one receiver as currently its about the only way to get the NFL Sunday ticket. Still, we continue to watch TV series from Amazon prime and Netflix mostly but, wow is their alot of content out there now days. When we first bought our Roku, Netflix was the only channel on it, now there are like over 700 channels and that doesn't include hundreds of private channels.

We find it nice to be able watch a TV series in the correct order they originally aired. Between Netflix, Amazon prime and Vudu (among many others) we never bother looking for a movie on directv, there are just better choices. We also have alot of DVDs and blurays and are currently building a digital library with Ultraviolet that shows up on our Roku thru Vudu.

For us,. Directv is a downgrade, not and upgrade as most would think!

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
DVR from Videotron (local cable company), followed by Netflix and DVD/BDs. Occasionally will buy a series on iTunes. Really depends on the show.

The only things I watch "live" with any semblance of regularity are the news and hockey games.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Verizon Fios and a pair of Tivo S2's in living room and bedroom. I also buy and watch some shows on disc.

DVDs of past shows used to be the summer viewing, but with the advent of a high quality summer season, our disc viewing has plummeted. And now that we've got cable (previously, OTA), I have Tivo find stuff in reruns to watch during lulls.

I do have more business travel, so some of my disc viewing slack is picked up by rip and transfer to the iPad, for airplane and hotel watching. But this is a pain in the butt and keeps me locked into DVD for some shows to allow for that.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Cameron Yee said:
Although it's not a huge sample at this point, I'm somewhat surprised by the results. I would have figured more people would DIY a HTPC. So far, it's just me!
Keep in mind this is a survey of TV-watching enthusiasts, not Gadget-building enthusiasts :) My impression is that HTPC usage is niche.

I love the idea, have done the research. But I hold back due to a the price tag, uncertain performance from a DIY, and uncertain SAF compared to the beloved Tivo.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
After seven years with occasional wrestling with the HTPC DVR, I don't blame anyone for wanting to go with something like Tivo. I would do it too if not for the monthly fee that I just can't justify, especially when my available channels are limited to OTA and I'm interested in no more than a dozen shows from that selection.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Brian McHale said:
"My wife and I don't watch that much "first run" TV, so virtually everything we DO watch is DVR'd and we watch it days, or even weeks later. Even if we have the time when the shows are on "live" we'll wait about 20 or so minutes so we can skip commercials."

That pretty much sums it up for me.
And for me. The only time I watch anyting live is if the DVR is already recording two shows, and a third one is also airing at the same time. Then I'll watch an over-the-air broadcast of the show I can't record.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I watch more current TV (except for news and Jay Leno) when it comes out on season DVDs. I forget the last time I watched scripted series as it aired. I don't bother with any "reality" shows as I prefer real reality.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I only watch news or sports live. Everything else is time shifted and has been for decades-I used to have 4 VHS recorders going on a regular basis. A fair amount of On Demand and Amazon streaming as well as the occasional movie or tv series from the public library.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
You left off my method:

Sample a episodes or three "live"/VCR (yes I still use a VCR - I don't need or want the extra fees for a DVR as I only "tape" one or two programs per month at best)/streaming then purchase the series on DVD/BR if it's "good."

Who needs all the commercials and other crap the networks put in/on programs these days whether it's via "live" or streaming?

Of course the absolute best way is to borrow a season set from someone and only make a purchase if an entire season is good.

Almost all of my viewing is done with DVDs. I'd dump cable but my wife likes several channels and will not watch "recorded" material - she's a network executive's wet dream as she'd rather watch a show whenever it airs than time shift or watch via DVD/BR. Yes, we have separate TV viewing areas in the house.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I don't watch enough tv to justify the expense of cable and don't have a dvr. My wife has a few sitcoms that she likes to watch that are available ota. I'll occasionally sit through one with her. On my own time I watch more Netflix than broadcast television. Sent from my SPH-M830 using HTF mobile app

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
BobO'Link said:
You left off my method:

Sample a episodes or three "live"/VCR (yes I still use a VCR - I don't need or want the extra fees for a DVR as I only "tape" one or two programs per month at best)/streaming then purchase the series on DVD/BR if it's "good."

Who needs all the commercials and other crap the networks put in/on programs these days whether it's via "live" or streaming?

Of course the absolute best way is to borrow a season set from someone and only make a purchase if an entire season is good.

Almost all of my viewing is done with DVDs. I'd dump cable but my wife likes several channels and will not watch "recorded" material - she's a network executive's wet dream as she'd rather watch a show whenever it airs than time shift or watch via DVD/BR. Yes, we have separate TV viewing areas in the house.
You may only record one or two shows a month now, but you might find you'd watch more with a DVR. With the DVR, it's so easy to record stuff. I'm talking orders of magnitude easier than using a VCR. And your wife might not mind watching recorded shows when they're as easy to view as live TV and the quality is as good. DVR really does change the way you watch TV. You think you know what it will be like, but it is so much better you can't even imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.