TV on DVD and Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Jon Martin, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Basically the article says the studios are pricing blu ray tv discs too high. When we see some movies on blu cheaper than SD, why do tv shows have to cost so much more? Are blu's intrinsically that much more expensive to produce? Since I went HD, I haven't bought one SD disc, it's going to have to be a very, very desidred move/tv show to get me to do that.

I guess this means I'm not going to see West Wing on blu any time soon.

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Can it really be a decline of TV shows on Blu-ray if there was never a rise?

To cite a title used in the article, I passed on The Office on Blu-ray in favor of the DVD. It was a combination of the price, having the first 4 seasons on DVD and feeling that the DVDs were good enough (for me) for a show that no one would call demo material.

4. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Very disappointing to hear, as I'm a fan of TV on disc and of course Blu-ray is always preferable to DVD. But the comments about the price are correct. The studios really do need to bring them down a bit.

Kind of ironic, though, that one of the most successful TV shows on Blu-ray (Lost) is also one of the most exorbitantly priced ($80/season).

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Lost can be had most of the time for under $50/season, but that is still way too high, at least for me. The same goes for BSG, which I wouldn't mind seeing more of, but not at those prices.

Like others, I am pretty much only buying BR now, so if something isn't available or is priced too high, it simply doesn't get bought. I just wait for the sales, and buy when things are heavily discounted.

6. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

Same here. If the show isn't on Blu-ray and likely won't be, I don't mind getting DVD. But if it's on Blu-ray already, I'll just wait for the right price rather than pick up the DVDs.

7. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    ^ Exactly what I do.

I'll also buy the DVDs if I think the source won't convert well to HD, usually based on other seasons of the show I've bought (videotape/pre-HD era).

Somebody mentioned The Office. The DVDs are very good for a sitcom. I am waiting for S5 BD to get cheaper. But, if the DVD comes way down and the BD doesn't so much, I'd have no prob with those DVDs because I know I won't be disappointed. Like most of the HBO DVDs look very nice, upscaled, doubt I'll re-buy. But wouldn't buy new HBO titles in DVD.

Lionsgate/AMC has kept the Mad Men BDs reasonable, or at least they go on sale a lot, so lower prices are doable. Yeah, Lost seems quite expensive to me.

8. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I'm starting to see some movement lower on the Blu ray TV Prices. Smallville on DVD could have been had for around $10 a set during Black Friday, the Blu Ray sets out were around $40 a decnt price for Blu but Given that I have all the previous DVD sets and the transfers on those are good, can't beat ten bucks for the set, so I'd buy DVD still on those. No matter DVD or Blu I wait a few weeks after release to get sets they drop pretty quickly...

9. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    I assume y'all have already jumped on the one-day-only Lost S1-S5 deal at Amazon that even a Lost skeptic like me could not resist

_Man_

10. ATimson

ATimson Second Unit

Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong