What's new

Tv in one room, receiver and xbox in another (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Also, the Integra 80.3 (be sitting down when you see the price tag) is the only actual "real .2" receiver on the market (outside of maybe the 70.3 and 50.3/4).
The Integra 80.3 can do "most" of what you want. But asking for "all room HDMI" is the realm of the Elite SC-67...but it doesn't do anywhere near what the Integra 80.3 does otherwise.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
FlyingTiger said:
Ok but would splitting the single output three ways allow me to watch different cable channels on the other tvs?
That's going to require 3 different cable boxes. You also mentioned DVR in your first post. You either get a plan cable box or a DVR model. You can't get a quality DVR that will record from the cable box. TiVo makes models that will use a cable card and record 2 channels at once. That doesn't help you because it only outputs one recording at a time.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by FlyingTiger /t/322701/tv-in-one-room-receiver-and-xbox-in-another#post_3956738
Ok but would splitting the single output three ways allow me to watch different cable channels on the other tvs? Thats the goal. And thanks for the info on multi zone receivers and the thought of just having 2 receivers. That seems like the more cost effective solution.

I still don't understand why you seem so intent on finding some way to get a single cable box to show three different programs in three separate rooms.

With the sole exception of the XBox, everything you've listed that you want to do is much simpler and cheaper to simply treat as separate systems. Three cable boxes - only one of which needs to include a DVR if your provider offers a "whole house" DVR system - three cheap DVD/Blu-ray players, ONE modest 5.1 A/V receiver and speaker set, and that's it. Consider better speakers/soundbars for "less important" rooms.

With all of this, you also haven't provided a budget - as Sam alluded to, if $1500 is pushing it, we probably need to establish a hard budget limit for you so we can make meaningful suggestions.

FlyingTiger

Agent
Real Name
Cory
Jason, I suppose the intent isn't set in stone so to speak. I'm just trying to get an understanding of how it all comes togethe. And if the ideas I have in mind are possible and/or within a price range. That range I havnt even thought about yet, sorry. So Im guessing I will/should get a single receiver for the first zone. And do the HDMI splitter for the other 2 zones. Would that allow me to watch cable on one tv, DVD on another, and play Xbox on the third?
So the separate cable on each tv is possible I would just want to run HDMI cable from each recieve to each tv. That exceptable. And I am starting to understand this a bit more now. Thanks for all the info so far everyone.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'll chime back in cause I think reality is setting in.
You don't need an HDMI splitter. You need a Matrix. There is a difference.
And send two HDMI from "what"?
You still need to determine EXACTLY WHAT EACH ROOM IS GOING TO SHARE.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
To help this along...
Who is your cable company? Do they offer whole home DVR?
Are you happy with 1 dvd/BD player being shared?
Are you really going to make three rooms share 1 cable channel?
Come up with a budget JUST for the "whole home" part. If it us under $1500 you might as well give up now.
Lastly...
Doing "whole home AV" is not a cost saver. It is the EXACT OPPOSITE.

FlyingTiger

Agent
Real Name
Cory
Why is the difference between HDMI splitter and a Matrix?
Each room can share Xbox, DVD, And Cable. I just want to be able to watch DVD on one, cable on another. and play Xbox on the third. And each tv should be able to do any of the options.
Comcast is the provider, and I'm not sure if the do whole home DVR.
1 shared DVD is ok
1 shared cable channel is ok I suppose. If I can't get this figured out.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes Comcast has Whole-Home DVR.
So you can have 1 HD-DVR and two other regular HD boxes(total of three).
But, if you only want one "box"...then fine. Only 1 channel over the whole house.
By the way, if you got Whole-Home DVR and put a box with EACH TV...then you'd only need a 2x4 Matrix(XBox and DVD)
So, with one cable box sharing all over the house, you need a $157 4x4 Matrix. If you got Whole Home DVR and put a box WITH each TV, you only need a $75 2x4 Matrix.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
FlyingTiger said:
Why is the difference between HDMI splitter and a Matrix?
Splitter - 1 input / 2 or more outputs
Switcher - 2 or more inputs / 1 output
Matrix Switcher - 2 or more inputs / 2 or more outputs (Each output can connect to a different input. Each output can connect to the same input. A combination of connections.) I use a 4x2 Monoprice HDMI matrix switch. 2 of my TVs can share 4 HDMI sources (2 DirecTV DVRs, 1 Blu-ray & 1 Roku 2 XS) Switching sources is controlled by a Harmony 880 remote.

FlyingTiger

Agent
Real Name
Cory
Thanks Robert that sounds like what I am trying to do. Question is do you have 2 remotes to switch the inputs on the matrix? Or do you just walk the 1 remote back and forth between tvs?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have a Harmony 880 at each TV. Even though the TVs are different, I programmed them so the button layouts are the same. The source components are in the theater room and the IR signal from the living room goes over an IR relay system (Channel Plus but it works just like the Buffalo I linked to earlier). At one time I had plans for a full 5.1 audio system in the living room. I went as far as adding an older Kenwood receiver into the rack and programming it into the Harmony. My 7.1 system in the theater is run by a Pioneer receiver. The receivers had to be different brands otherwise turning up the volume in the theater would also turn up the volume in the living room.

FlyingTiger

Agent
Real Name
Cory
Yes thank you Robert, the Harmony 880 sounds like an amazing remote and has the capabilties that i want. But for $288 maybe i dont need all of the "bells and whistles". Is there a more reasonably priced remote that can do the same funtions?

FlyingTiger

Agent
Real Name
Cory
also, because i was scouting the cabling run for the zone 3 tv. it seems it will be quite challenging. is there a way to setup a matrix and and wireless extender? the extender for the zone 3 tv?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011011&p_id=8087&seq=1&format=2

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm going to bang my head against a wall...
If you read what I posted, a "RF remote with a blaster" is all you need if...
Your components are going to be where you can put the blaster 5-10 feet away(that depends on the PARTICULAR remote and its SPECS)...find some candidates and read about them.
If you are "stacking this stuff in a closet" where a 5-10 feet away blaster won't work...
You need the Xantech/Cables to Go (or one of the 10,000 other options out there) variation.
Or, you can buy the ^^^^ above stuff that works with Ipad/Iphone/Ipod or Android, but I fear that option "costs too much".

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So you are buying some form of Xantech/Cables to Go IR system since you picked a remote that doesn't do RF.
When you stack your components in a closet, are you just going to set them on a shelf, or building up a rack and need rack mounts?
Which IR control are you buying?
This one is a good choice. It is mentioned on the same page as the Harmony 1...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FST9EC

FlyingTiger

Agent
Real Name
Cory
It's the Logitech harmony one remote. Yes the components are stacked in a closet. And the cables to go IR system is the next time to look at and buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks