What's new

TV-DVD Awards (1 Viewer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2241

The nominations for the first TV-DVD Awards are in, and now it's up to you to pick the winners! The entries were narrowed down to only 3 in each of 12 categories by a panel of judges (Mike Snider, Bruce Apar, Bill Hunt, Geoffrey Kleinman, Gord Lacey and Video Store Magazine editors).

Nominees were selected from a field of more than 150 entries submitted by the studios and independent suppliers that offer TV DVD product. All TV DVD titles released in the United States between Sept. 1, 2003 and Aug. 31, 2004 were eligible.

The winners will be announced at the TV-DVD Conference on October 19th (this news item is dated for Oct 19th, the day of the conference). Voting ends on October 2nd.

The nominees are:

Best 1950s Series

* Have Gun Will Travel: The Complete First Season
* The Honeymooners: The "Classic 39" Episodes
* I Love Lucy: The Complete Second Season

Best 1960s Series

* The Dick Van Dyke Show (complete series)
* Here's Lucy: Best-Loved Episodes
* Star Trek: The Original Series Season One

Best 1970s Series

* Battlestar Gallactica: The Complete Epic Series
* The Richard Pryor Show
* Sonny & Cher: The Ultimate Collection

Best 1980s Series

* The Kids in the Hall: Complete Season One
* SCTV Network 90/Volume One
* Sledge Hammer! Season One

Best 1990s Series

* Freaks & Geeks: The Complete Series
* The Simpsons: Complete Fourth Season
* West Wing: The Complete First Season

Best 2000s Series

* 24 Season Two
* Alias: The Complete Second Season
* The Sopranos: The Complete Fourth Season

Best Animated Series

* Looney Tunes Golden Collection
* The Simpsons: Complete Fourth Season
* SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete First Season

Best British TV Release

* MI-5, Volume One
* The Office
* Pennies From Heaven

Best Compilation

* The Jack Paar Collection
* The Ultimate Johnny Carson Collection
* Unsolved Mysteries

Best Made-for-TV Documentary

* Easy Riders
* How's Your News?
* The World at War

Best Miniseries or TV Movie

* The Reagans
* Shogun
* The Winds of War

Best Special Feature

* 24 Season Two: "Exposed Part One & Part Two" featurette
* Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete Sixth Season: "Once More With Feeling" featurette
* The X-Files: The Complete Ninth Season: "The Making of the Truth" documentary

Voting Page:
http://www.hive4media.com/contest/tv_dvd_awards/

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Paramount deserves an award just for having all three entries in the 1950s category. Most studios can't claim even one release that would qualify for that category.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
That the M*A*S*H series is being released at regular intervals is nice, but these sets certainly are not award-worthy, Chris. No extras and bad art.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Piffle - consider yourselves covered in SHAME! How dare you! My fan-boy allegiance aside, the Doctor Who discs are stunning. They own every other british show in terms of extras and restoration work. To be snubbed like that only shows the depths of insanity present on that list.

And while it doesn't quite fit the animated series category, I thought that the Land of the Lost set was helluva smooth - way better than 2 of the 3 in the category.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Tony, none of those titles were submitted for the awards. I was surprised to see the lack of Doctor Who as well. A title had to be submitted in order to be considered.

Gord

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Gord - I think your site should do an awards of its own annually. I think your site probably gets the most TV-DVD-related traffic out there, so shows like "Doctor Who" certainly wouldn't be snubbed.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Wellllll . . . ok - I guess I could live with that. But man, I wish I had know about this ahead of time! I would have been stuffing ballot boxes from here until doomsday. :)

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I agree with the choices on the whole, but shouldn't there be a category for best overall TV DVD? Perhaps its more democratic going by decade, but it would be interesting to see how, Star Trek (seriously do any of the other 60s show have a shot in this category?) does against The Simpsons or Freaks and Geeks.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Maybe next year the "Best British" category will be "Best International." I'll suggest it.

Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks