What's new

TV converting 4:3 to 16:9? (1 Viewer)

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all. I own a Sony KV36XBR800 4:3 CRT TV. It seems to convert ALL HD signals to 16:9. It poses a problem through the following set-up:

Kenwood DV-5900M - set to progressive scan with 4:3 LB aspect radio

DVDO Iscan HD - the Kenwood is connected to this via component input and is set to 4:3 input and 4:3 output. Format is set to 1920 x 1080i

The DVDO is connected to the Sony through its DVI input. All of my DVDs in the changer are ALL 4:3. The Sony is receiving the upscaled 4:3 format in 1080i and displays it at 16:9 format. Is this normal? Is there anyway to convert it to 4:3? I called the Sony support center and they couldn't answer it. They mentioned the set's 16:9 enhanced feature but that is ONLY for DVDs in widescreen anamorphic. There is nothing in the Sony's manual about manipulating the aspect ratio. If anyone is familiar with this situation, I would like to hear your suggestions/solutions. All my DVDs in the changer are 4:3 [concert DVDs and TV shows]. Thank you in advance.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I am not familiar with this specific TV, but it may be possible that it forcibly defaults to 16:9 mode for HD input. If you can't access the AR setting when viewing HD content, I don't know if there is a solution for your problem.

Are you sure the Sony doesn't have an AR setting or raster squeeze setting that's functional?

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Chris. Thanks for responding. The Sony does not have an aspect ratio setting on its menu. Being a standard 4:3, all it has is the 16:9 enhanced mode which is the "squeeze" feature for anamorphic widescreen DVDs. It's odd but when I set the DVDO to the 480P format, the Sony displays the signal at the 4:3 aspect ratio. ANY OTHER resolution above it, it converts the signal to 16:9. I believe that only their 16:9 LCDs/discontinued plasmas have the aspect ratio conversion. Maybe there are some owners out there with the same set-up with the same problems. The 480p is nice but the res on the 1080i even at the 16:9 is superb using the scaler. The Sony does have the capability to display at that rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks