TV audio to Soundbar question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DaveK88, Feb 6, 2013.

1. DaveK88

DaveK88 Auditioning

I am connecting a new component video and audio system. My new HDTV has two audio outs: Stereo RCA (analog) and Digital (coaxial). My new sound bar has two audio ins: Auxilary (RCA; I believe this is only analog) and Optical (Toslink). Will the audio signal be better with just staying with the stereo RCA to Auxilary In or by CONVERTING the signal with a converter from Digital Coax to Optical Toslink? Thanks for any advice! D

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I doubt you could tell a difference. Can you connect your "TV source" to the soundbar both ways? (to give both a try)

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Welcome to HTF, Dave! As Sam says, there will probably be little difference between analog stereo and digital coax when hooking up to a soundbar. Now digital sound may be preferred for a 5.1 system with separate speakers (your broadcast channels are most likely in 5.1 for some shows).

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    To add to what Steve and I said... One of our bedrooms has the Boston Acoustics TVee 25. It has RCA/mini-jack and toslink. I've connected the Directv via analog and BD player via toslink...and switched them around...and notice no difference either way. I do it that way to listen to the Directv "radio" and cds without TV involvement. The current connection is BD player analog to the BA TVee because CD on a BD player over digital...sucks.