What's new

Turner Classic Movies to become next AMC! (1 Viewer)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I think this thread is a testament to just how good TCM is that for those like me who first thought it was a real news story were about to get very upset at the possibility of it being true.

So :emoji_thumbsup: to TCM and continue doing what you do best: showing us uncut, widescreen movies with no commercials. Hopefully it will continue for a long time and I hope it never switches to digital cable because then the many regular cable subscribers like me that rely on sucky cable systems like Adelphia will lose it like we lost IFC and Sundance because they went digital.

On a related note, my respect level for TCM went through the roof when they aired The Exorcist recently completely uncut. It was the first time I'd seen the movie unedited and I was shocked at how strong it was. For me seeing that film uncut and uncensored on a basic cable channel in widescreen cemented the fact that TCM totally 100% respects the medium of film. Unlike AMC.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Now that we are getting serious again...

But why not have a break during those three hour epic?
Francois, as far as I can recall every film that features an entre'acte still does when shown on TCM, so you can still make a run for it.

TCM is the greatest thing to ever happen to television IMO. :) Of course, AMC used to be close to that and look at them now.

I would also like to take the time to point out my biggest peeve with AMC - the fact that they run their COMMERCIALS IN LETTERBOX!! What does that tell you about stupid. Our fans don't like LBX so we appeal to them by running our commercials that way. AMC are truly clueless, or are being driven by the demands of a clueless public.

I'd love to see at the end of one of those commercials the people break the 4th wall and say to the audience "you realize that you've been watching THIS in LBX and you didn't even notice it".

LBX films = bad
LBX commericals about film lovers = good

Sure, that makes sense to me. :rolleyes

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
If I may share a fear I have...

AMC recently did a documentary called "Hollywood High" that went into the history of drugs at the movies. It featured clips from "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" and "Scarface"...What frightens me is that AMC might air these movies, panned, scanned and butchered. It would be even more horrible, because both these movies have high vulgarity factors ("Scarface" drops 10 F-Bombs a minute easy).

If these movies are to be seen on cable, I want them on TCM...Uncut, uncensored and commercial-free. Are you listening, AOL-TW? You air these two movies all the time on TBS and TNT...don't let them get away. You've already lost most of the Paramount and Universal libraries.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

And when I say that, I mean from the Golden Age Of Cinema through to the modern day.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
My bladder would certainly be happy for it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three simple letters for you -- VCR.
How quaint :). Make that 4 letters: Tivo. No tape, no degradation of picture, simple delete when done. You can pause or rewind while you're watching it live, or save it 'til later.

To quote Jon Stewart, me likey Tivo :D

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor

HERE HERE!

Sucked me right in! I'm sitting here yelling "UNTAPPED MARKET?....MADE FOR TV MOVIES?"
WHAT THE.....

:emoji_thumbsup:

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
My heart is still beating fast. I think I need to go to the hospital and get checked out. Of course, this change would save me $50 a month as I would cancel my satellite subricption. I watch TCM about 90% of the time.

I hate April Fools!!!!:D

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question. Have they always shown movies uncut and uncensored? A few weeks ago I caught Raging Bull uncut, and it was awesome! I always thought they already censor the profanity.

TCM rocks the house.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I caught the same airing of Raging Bull and as far as I know TCM has always shown movies completely uncut. The Exorcist has to be the most extreme case I've seen of TCM showing an uncut movie.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
TCM never does in-house editing.

If they show a censored print or a pan & scan print, it's always because that's what they're supplied with.

They even show recent movies like Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Hudsucker Proxy, and Austin Powers in OAR without any cuts.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
absolutely great april fool's joke

there was one on the UK DVDForums where there was something very similar to what Patrick did, only he was even sicker.

this person had Martin Scorsese arrested for murder, and that Rick McCallum would direct EP III after Lucas was found dead.

That is just sick, and people actually believed this for sometime. Just goes to show that April Fool's Day can be deadly

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks