What's new

turned sub down for MORE bass......... (1 Viewer)

jeff morris

Agent
This is weird....
FInally got a RS meter and Avia. So last night I spent a good half-hour doing a speaker cal. The speakers were all relatively good, one or two tweeks. The sub took a bit more time. When I was done, my sub level on the receiver was set to -12. Huh? OK, do it again...yep -12, and that with it running 2-3 db hot. I used the cal factor levels from SVS for the meter, had it on a tipod exactly in my listening position, everything went perfect.
Put on Band of Brothers disc4, the breaking point. I was actually FEELING the shells exploding around the soldiers in the woods. WOW:D
I could only imagine that I had some sort of severe acoustic coupling going on in my room where I was getting all sort of cancellations or something????? I am a loss here! But everything does sound so much better, especially the low end.
Guess I shows a real cal is a necessary thing, not just setting the sub to what ones' ear says is pleasing.
Rx- Onkyo Ts600
Polk RT25i's(4) & Cs245
Velodyne CHT10
And now I am considering a 20-39 PC+ ???? I must be NVTS!
jeff;)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Jeff

What was the receivers sub level set at before you started, and also where was the sub itselfs volume knob set?

Did you move the sub or speakers to a different location?

Did you change your crossover setting?

The end results you say you have now, is, well strange. If the location of your seating or sub/speakers didn't change, nulls or cancelations couldn't have changed, thats is if I read your post right.

I am glad things sound much better and thats whats important, but I am a little confused...

Regards
Geoff

jeff morris

Agent
well, I'm glad I'M not the only one confused by this:confused:
The sub level was at 0 before I cal'd. As I said, I set the sub level to what sounded pleasing to my ears, that's all.
I moved the sub back into the corner a few weeks ago(as suggested by Tom @ SVS) and had to reduce the sub volume knob from half to about a third up, to compensate moving it back into the corner.
X-over stays at 80hz. The 100 & 120hz settings produce a HUGE peaked resonance around 90-100 hz, so 80hz crossover gives the smoothest response.
the ONLY difference between wednesday and thursday evening is the sub output level on the Rx was REDUCED to -12.
Yeah...I'm just as confused, but I can't argue with the results.
Guess I'll just have to get that 20-39 and prove it out all over again :laugh: :laugh:

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
A few people might disagree, but I personally think there's no substitute for a good AV cal disc and a cheap RS meter... :)
But I'm like you: I run my sub about 1-2 dB hot too. Dem dere depth charges in Das Boot/U-571 just t'ain't loud enough udderwise! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks