What's new

Tumult #3 has arrived! (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Just thought I'd let everyone know (especially those still waiting) that my 3rd and final Tumult has arrived today. So hopefully Adire has gotten pretty much caught up on orders.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Andrew,

Mine is in an 18" cube, sealed and I'll be using an LT with a Crown K2. Here's the enclosure:

A

Anthony_Gomez

na...he is using 1 k2 per coil now. last time he was underpowered and trashed the coil via clipping....atleast that is what I have been telling him!:D ;)

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Yeah, I got the Denali hooked up last night and possibly the Everest tonight.
I was telling Gomez earlier today that last night I put on a 15Hz sine wave at pretty high levels with 1Kw of power. 2Pr's and 1 Tumult were moving a BUNCH without much sound coming from the sub at all, but you should have heard my poor house!
Damn, that's fun!:D

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I bet it's weird when you can't hear anything so you wonder if the subs are working. Then you look at the SPL meter to find it off the charts.

I know LTs have been discussed in the past, but what made you go with a sealed LT instead of a PR design? Mainly to save money or does your LT have different sound quality attributes?

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I'm not sure why Brian went with it but I'll list the 2 biggest reasons: 1. Size of enclosure. 2. The ability to customize the Q of the subwoofer to your tastes without altering the box.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Kyle,

Precisely. Since I have a very open floor plan I really had to worry about size a bit and I didn't have any room up front to place the sub. So I went with an end table design that would fit my decor. I also wanted to play with faux finishes and see if we could make a sub look like a piece of furniture. I think we did pretty good! :)

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
I was going to use an LT on my Tumult. I even have an Rod Elliot LT (thanks Anthony) that I am not using. However, I like to listen to my HT at reference levels on movies. With my sub in a 1.7 ft^3 box, I could only get 108 out of a Tumult with 1600 watts with an LT. This is anechoic. I know I could expect a little help from room gain. With my 172 liter ported sub, I can hopefully get 117 db at 1,000 watts anechoic at 20 hertz. The F3 is 17 hertz. I'll know in the next day or two. My reasons for not using the LT are that at reference levels, it would take more power than I wanted to pay for and I would be beating my sub to death on loud movies (which happen to be the ones I like).

I was limited on how much power I could use because I wanted a plate amp. The biggest affordable amp I've seen is the Kiega 1,000 watt model (thanks Kyle). I wanted a plate amp because I like to use my remote to operate the system. Also, if I sell my Tumult later, it would be an easier resell with a plate amp IMO.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Kyle,

Next time I send something that side of the country I'll be sure to drop a gold star in the mail too!;)

Greg,

I may be missing something, but how does what type of amp you have affect using your remote to operate the system? Is it because of the auto sensing circuits built into plate amps? I just leave my K2 powered up all the time.

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
Brian

Most of the cheaper pro amps (which is what I was looking at) do not have auto-on features. Being built in (the amp mounted onto the sub box) and auto-on was what I was looking at because if I resell the sub, a buyer may be interested in those features. I often get upgraditus and sell my current project to fund a future project. I'm kind of paranoid about leaving something on all of the time. How much power does a K2 draw at idle?

A

Anthony_Gomez

he he...he....he he.....I see boob...he he ...he he...that kicks ass...DAAH DAAH DAAAAHH!! DAAH DAAH DAAAAHH!!

:D

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I forgot to tell you guys, my Tumult came with a couple of free gifts! There were two chrome plated hex wrenches stuck to the side of the magnet!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks