What's new

Trying to Stream from NAS to Blu-ray player (1 Viewer)

Boongoon

Auditioning
Real Name
Evan Greenberg
Hello, I am new to NAS and its usage for Home Theater. I have a couple of questions. Specs: iMac 21.5 MyBook Live 3TB NAS First Gen VISIO Plasma 50" Sony BDP-S370 Blu-Ray player with ethernet cable to router. DirecTV So, I used a ripping program called RipIt for the Mac. It rips it into .dvedmedia format. I then moved it to a Movies Folder on the NAS drive. I was able to locate the drive on the Blu-ray player. It said twonky next to it. Not sure what it means. When I open the drive it shows a Videos Folder as opposed to the MOVIES folder I set up on the drive. When I open it it shoes all the individual files for the DVD such as TS-Video 1 and so on. It does not say the movie name such as in the Movies folder on the NAS. So, I guess I am looking for advice on: 1. How to set up the system. 2. What format, if different, the file needs to be so I can view it as a single titled file. 3. Any other suggestions for me on this. I want to start adding my movie collection so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. See 2. 2. What formats does your Blu-ray player play. You have to start from there and work backwards. 3. Read. Every system is different. You are running TWONKY - http://www.twonky.com/ while I run TVersity as my media server. You stream to your Blu-ray while I stream to my DirecTV DVR. I can stream MP3, JPG and MPG at this time. If I ever try to add a DVD to my server, I need to convert it to Mpeg4 format before my DVR will play it. Welcome to the forum. This is the Beginners section. It is usually geared to people who have difficulty connecting a VCR to their new fangled flat screen TV. Most first time posters here have no idea that a lot of equipment supports streaming or what the heck a NAS is.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It's a non-standard format.

Formats need to be:

AVI, MP4, MOV, WMV, MPG, MPEG-TS, VOB, .DIVX, .MKV

A bluray player will not see a custom format like .dvemedia so it doesn't know what to do with it.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
What those guys said ... and I'll add that Twonky is a DLNA server. But I wouldn't worry too much about the server/NAS side of things, as I have the S370 and it see files without a server side streamer running (at least it sees vob and mp4). Just get those videos in one of the approved formats and I think you'll be fine.

Boongoon

Auditioning
Real Name
Evan Greenberg
I will try the format changing. Is there a preferred format and what is the recommended software for converting it? Thanks, Evan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks