Trying to find pictures of ticket booths

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jon Mercer, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer Second Unit

I want to build a small ticket booth coming out of the wall just outside my theater room, but I cant find any decent pictures of interior/exterior booths.
    If anyone can help me I'm looking for a single person booth
    with good shots of the interior as well.

Thanks

2. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

I have a false booth (ie - no one can actually sit in it) in my theater. Take a look via the link below.

-greg

3. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

4. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
  5. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Jack, I thought about throwing one together like that but decided I need to take my time and come up with something truly amazing![​IMG]

Wes

6. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

Here's a pick of mine.

Ticket Booth

Took me and my wife around 4 hours to complete.

Todd

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Greg:

I have always meant to ask you how the microperf screen is working out for you.

Parker

8. Joe L.

Joe L. Stunt Coordinator

The picture of my cardboard prototype that Glenise posted earlier in this thread served to give my wife and I an idea of what the finished ticket would look like.

The finished ticket window can be seen here:

http://home.triad.rr.com/leggio/imag...cketBooth7.jpg

Joe L.

9. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

10. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson

11. Joe L.

Joe L. Stunt Coordinator

Wes,

I do have photos taken during the construction of my Ticket Window.

This first photo was just after I had cut the top, bottom, and back pieces. The top is a piece of 3/4 inch oak, the bottom is made of two pieces of oak, one 3/4 inch and one 1/2 inch piece. This gave me a thicker looking shelf.

Here, everything is simply dry-assembled. (nothing attached or glued) the back is a piece of 1/4 inch plywood. Although I used oak-veneer, it was eventually completely covered, so plain plywood would work as well.

http://home.triad.rr.com/leggio/imag...cketBooth1.jpg

The paper letters and simulated opening in the glass were to allow me to better visualize the finished project.

Joe L.

12. Joe L.

Joe L. Stunt Coordinator

Wes,

In this second photo, it is pretty easy to see how the bottom shelf is made up of two pieces of oak. These two pieces were glued together and clamped. Once the glue was dry, I used my belt-sander to make the edge smooth.

http://home.triad.rr.com/leggio/imag...cketBooth2.jpg

The two oak boards you see joining the top and bottom would eventually be used to make the side rails for the glass. The top and bottom are attached to each other and to the back with two pine boards mounted just outside of, and parallel to the oak side rails. These pine boards are hidden by the outer "columns" I made.

Joe L.

13. Joe L.

Joe L. Stunt Coordinator

Wes,

This next picture shows quite a bit more progress.

First, I cut a 6 inch diameter cardboard tube lengthwise in half and then again to make quarter round "columns." The cardboard tube was used because I already had it. (the screen material for my DIY screen was shipped to me on it from Vutec.)

Once I had the two quarter round columns, I veneered them with some red-oak veneer I had left over from building my DIY Audix HT speakers. (by now you probably figured out, I am a true DIY'er)

Once veneered, I dyed the columns blue using aniline dye purchased from Woodworker Supply Company (woodworker.com). I was attempting to match the color of the carpet in my theater.

I also made a 1/4 inch rabbet on the top of the oak rails spanning the top and bottom of my window, glued on a piece of oak molding forming a channel on each rail to accept the edge of glass, and used gold spray paint to highlight the edge of the molding.

You can also see the rope molding, temporarily attached to the columns using masking tape, also spray painted gold.

http://home.triad.rr.com/leggio/imag...cketBooth3.jpg

Joe L.

14. Joe L.

Joe L. Stunt Coordinator

15. Joe L.

Joe L. Stunt Coordinator

At this point, everything is assembled and ready for installation. I used industrial strength velcro on the insides of the columns to hold them in place. That way, I can easily remove them to get access to the four screws I used to hold the glass and its oak rails in place. (The screws go through the pine boards and into the oak rails)

The back of the window was covered by black paper and I made new letters to spell out the word "Tickets"

I had the glass cut to order at a local glass place. They also had it tempered for me. (Since it was in a stairway, I did not want any sharp shards of glass if anyone tripped and fell into it. I know it is unlikely, but it was not too much additional cost to have it tempered)

http://home.triad.rr.com/leggio/imag...cketBooth5.jpg

Joe L.

16. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Joe:

I fixed your links so they would work until you get up to 15 posts. Great job on your ticket window project.

Greg:

Great to hear. I have always wanted to have a microperf screen but everyone has told me to stay away from them as they can cause a moire pattern and that the sound from the center channel is diminished.

Jon:

I apologize for highjacking your thread.

17. Joe L.

Joe L. Stunt Coordinator

Wes,

In this close up of the lower shelf of my ticket window you can see how the glass fits into the channel formed by the rabbet and the piece of oak molding. Although it looks like smoked glass, it is clear.

I also added a decorative brass plate and put a few "tickets" in place to simulate a ticket machine.

http://home.triad.rr.com/leggio/imag...cketBooth6.jpg

Joe L.

18. Joe L.

Joe L. Stunt Coordinator

Parker,

Thanks for the assist... (and one more post [​IMG] )

I've been reading this forum for over a year, but only recently signed up as a user.

I understand your reasons for the min-post limit before links can be added. Apparently, the same limit applies to IMG tags as well. (I tried using those first) Did you also have a problem with those being abused?

Joe L.

19. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Joe, thanks for the great construction steps and photos. I have really been wanting to build one so now that I have a good plan to go by I will have to get busy. I 'm not sure I can copy your quality, I'm not the great wood worker you appear to be.
    Thanks again! [​IMG]

Wes

20. Joe L.

Joe L. Stunt Coordinator

Wes,

The hardest part of my ticket booth was coming up with a design my wife liked. We also looked at as many pictures as we could find on the web for ideas. She wanted columns on the sides, and a shelf for the tickets.

I made a trip to home-depot and purchased all of the oak from their display of pre-cut and finished oak. I seem to remember it was not cheap, but the alternative materials were either as expensive, or much more difficult to get a furniture like finish. For the columns, I improvised and just used stuff I had laying around.

I made a matching "light fixture" for over the window. It really finishes it off and made it easy to illuminate in style. I did use a rather expensive low-voltage track light as part of it (about $170.00), but I'll try not to think of the expense, but rather how it looks. It has an "electronic transformer" (actually a switching power supply) that mounts on the original junction box and it fits under the wooden oak box I made to hold the track.

Here is the box used to hold the track light and cover the transformer:

http://home.triad.rr.com/leggio/imag...cketLight1.jpg

Joe L.