What's new

Trying to decide on speakers, need advice (1 Viewer)

mjones

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
I'm in the process of designing a dedicated home theater room. My room is relatively small, 17'x13'. I really like the sound of def techs and was either going to purchase the Mythos 10 for my l/c/r speakers with 2 supercubes or use the Mythos ST for the l/r channels and mythos 10 for the center. Given space and room size I'm leaning towards the mythos 10 on the wall with supercubes if that set up would be comparable to the STs. Any thoughts?

mjones

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
I guess the question is, will one setup over another favor the smaller room or will the ST/S sound better than the 10s with subs? I'd prefer not to order and return a bunch of speakers so before giving up the ST/S I want to be sure I'd be happy with them.

Salamander

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Size of the room shouldn't play a factor in what speakers you purchase except for esthetic reasons. You should always go with the ones you think are gonna sound the best period. Chances are you aren't gonna always have these speakers in the same room for the entire time you own them.

rkrawczyk

Grip
Real Name
Ryan Krawczyk
What are the benefits of expanding from 5.1 to 7.1 speakers? Are those two extra speakers worth the cost? Anyone have any insight on this. THanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You can do height/width...Audyssey DSX/DPL IIz. In true home theatre...your seating should be in the middle of the room...to no further than 60% towards the back wall. That is to make room for "proper" speaker placement regardless of 5.1 or 7.1. How big is your "screen"? Even a 60" set you are only supposed to sit 6-9(THX guideline) feet back. That is 50% to 60% of even your 13 feet. IF you watch a bunch of 2.40:1 movies...you sit "double the image height"* in distance...which is even closer than THX. * a 60" TV showing a 2.40:1 movie only has a 22" screen height...so you can sit as close as 44" from your TV...during the movie.

Salamander

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
7.1 is definitely an upgrade but if you have a small and more important a small listening area it wont make a big difference especially if your 5.1 is setup really well.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
What are the benefits of expanding from 5.1 to 7.1 speakers? Are those two extra speakers worth the cost?
Room size isn't as important as whether you have room behind your listening position. For instance, if you have a couch up against the wall, the rear speakers won't help much. Secondly, you only have discrete rear channels on BR discs; otherwise you're getting the surround channela repeated. Also, not all films have the extra tracks, but I understand the frequency has been increasing over the last couple of years. So if you have the right condition, yes it's a nice improvement. And then there's speaker quality. Depending on what you already have, it might be better to upgrade your existing 3 (or 5), rather than get the extra 2.

Robbenz

Auditioning
Real Name
Robin Lynch
Al.Anderson said:
Room size isn't as important as whether you have room behind your listening position. For instance, if you have a couch up against the wall, the rear speakers won't help much. Secondly, you only have discrete rear channels on BR discs; otherwise you're getting the surround channela repeated. Also, not all films have the extra tracks, but I understand the frequency has been increasing over the last couple of years. So if you have the right condition, yes it's a nice improvement. UMM..I learn so much here everytime I get a chance to drop in. I didn't realize that I should not have my chairs placed up against the back wall. The CIs did not mention this when performing onsite consult. So I'm thinking maybe my space just doesn't allow for moving the the planned riser forward instead of having it built flush up against the back wall. Will go back now and at least ask about this. Thanks for mentioning this as it is still early enough to change my plans if doable. Robin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks