What's new

Trump Proposes New World Trade Center (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Because people don't like the idea that terrorist thugs can dictate that New York (or anyplace else in this country) can't build a tall, striking landmark structure.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
In other words, stupidity and stubbornness. Simple enough.....

Is any insurance company in their right mind going to underwrite this insanity?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
So you want to dismantle every "target" structure now? People shouldn't visit the Statue of Liberty? The Empire State Building should be vacated?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Eventually, you reach a point where there's no more ground to retreat to. Besides, the reason they've unveiled the new design was to incorporate the mandates that the NYPD's counter-terrorism people dictated. The bottom of this sucker is a fortified concrete bunker and the rest of the tower doesn't have the same structural weaknesses of the original towers.

E

Eric Kahn

the main reason I think the freedom tower is a waste of time is that only the lower half is used, the rest is just window dressing, if it is going to be 1700 feet tall, at least 1500 feet of it should be floor space

if they only want a 69 floor building, then build one that way and not waste money by putting a 900 foot tall decoration on top of it

and for the naysayers who say that no one would rent to upper floors, I would be happy to live on the top floor, not that I could afford the rent:)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

Philip,

You said you don't think we should build a big target for terrorists. To me, that's another way of saying that we concede that they are able to force us to change what we do and what cities such as New York are (New York is probably the world's premiere example of the ingenuity and spirit of achievement in building skyscrapers). If that's true, why should we keep targets such as the ones I mentioned? Why take the risk, if avoiding it is that important?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

Todd, that's an amazing story. However, ask your brother-in-law if he would consider moving back into the Freedom/Trump Trade Center towers once they're built.

Everyone says they want to see them rebuilt, but are they going to find enough tennants willing to be in what is essentially a "f*ck you" to the terrorists?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I would move in if I could.

EDIT: However, if I were a corporate brass, I would have to think about the liability issues should something happen - would it be considered foreseable by the courts?

It's not too farfetched to think that relatives might sue the businesses in there for knowingly putting their people in harm's way should the unthinkable occur (again). And nothing scares corporate America like a lawsuit (can you blame them?).

--
H

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I like the revised plan much better than the original proposal. That one just didn't look right. This one is much more elegent. Seeing the two towers back up wouldn't be bad either. Eitherway, the skyline of lower manhattan hasn't been the same since so something needs to go up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks