What's new

True Romance 2-disc SE (1 Viewer)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
For those wondering how we are getting the unrated cut when Warners gets gunshy at the NC-17, it is because Morgan Creek is exercising their independent authority to release one. The deal they have for distribution at WB gives them total control over prints, advertising, and video releases. WB is obligated to do as they wish.
So I guess this means that there's little chance that Eyes Wide Shut will be released unrated in Region 1. :thumbsdown:

clay f

Grip
i cant wait for true romance. that is gonna be great. i hope there will be commentary with tarantino, that would be really cool. i think it would be his first one. please correct me if i am wrong, cuz i want to get it.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
For those wondering how we are getting the unrated cut when Warners gets gunshy at the NC-17, it is because Morgan Creek is exercising their independent authority to release one. The deal they have for distribution at WB gives them total control over prints, advertising, and video releases. WB is obligated to do as they wish.
Yes, but that still doesn't explain the NC-17 DVD of Crash. Isn't New Line owned by Warner?
Jeff

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Yes, but that still doesn't explain the NC-17 DVD of Crash. Isn't New Line owned by Warner?
New Line is owned by AOL TIME WARNER, not the Warner Bros. movie studio. As such, they are using the WB distribution system for DVD's, and kowtowing to their demand for snapper casing, but they are an autonomous company that works independently of Warner Home Video. HBO Video is likewise.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
As Mark said, New Line is just owned by AOL/Time Warner and not Warner Brothers movie studio so they can release unrated material on DVD if they please. Remember, New Line has also released NC-17 versions of Body Shots, Embrace of the Vampire, and the Poision Ivy trilogy on DVD and they're also releasing the NC-17 edit of Storytelling when that comes to DVD later on this year.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
OK. I stand corrected, but it still doesn't make sense as to what the reasoning is behind it. I assumed it was to avoid some sort of boycott of AOL/Time Warner by the religous right-wing. Any kind of protest would revolve the company as a whole, not just one division of it.

Jeff

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Hi

Just thought you might like to know, warner is working on some special editions due out later this year. At least two of the titles are Unforgiven and True Romance. I know for a fact that Unforgiven will be a 2 disc set, and will most likely include an audio commentary from you know who. No other specs on the two titles, but expect to hear more soon.

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if people know the story behind the making of "True Romance", so here goes...

Tarantino's original script for "True Romance" had the scenes out of chronological sequence (as were his later scripts for Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction).

Tony Scott rearranged the scenes into a chronological time-line and changed the ending:

Christian Slater's character dies at the end of the original script

Tarantino got upset and complained to Tony Scott, who offered a compromise. He would shoot both endings before choosing which one to use.

Scott did this, but still decided not to use Tarantino's ending.

Now, I have read the original script and it is very similar to the finished movie, except for the sequence of the scenes and the changed ending.

It should therefore be possible to use hot-branching to allow the viewer to choose to view either the "Director's Cut" or the "Writer's Cut" (assuming the shot footage of the Tarantino ending still exists).

The question is, will this be done on the Special Edition?

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Tony Scott is hardly a director whose work I usually admire, but he was quite right about the ending of True Romance. Clarence definitely shouldn't have died. Besides that would have ruined the clever moral of the story. It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye.
:laugh:

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Er Rain, you might want to spoiler the bit where you give away the end of the movie, man!! :eek:
Personally I would like to see the option for the whole movie to play as Tarantino suggested.
Anyway, I'd thought it was someone else who 'fixed' the timeline...

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Tony Scott is hardly a director whose work I usually admire, but he was quite right about the ending of True Romance.
Wow, you hit the nail on the head. I had never realized how many bad films this guy has made until now. After reading your post I did an IMDB search on him. True Romance was the only good film on there.
Jeff

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Ooops, sorry guys. I guess I put my spoiler tags in the wrong place. I fixed it. My apologies. :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks