What's new

True Lies (1 Viewer)

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I remember how at the time True Lies was put on hold because of 9/11. I also remember a region 2 DVD being available that was anamorphic compared to 4:3 widescreen of Region 1.

An HD version of True Lies has been recently shown on AMC so I am sure that all that is needed is that JC come in and aprove whatever tweaks he wants.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Originally Posted by dvdvision /forum/thread/274728/true-lies#post_3655409
There's a D-Theater tape out there, so a HD master must have been approved years ago.
It looked great. It's possible that it could have been from a 1080i master though.

Van Ling

Insider
David and Jeff: as almost all movies have been transferred to HD since the advent of DVD in the late 1990s, there likely was an HD transfer of True Lies since I worked on the SD transfer with JC in 1994... but chances are it was done in the late 90's or very early 00's (I was not involved at that point), so it would probably better to do a new and current transfer for Blu-ray... but that's up to Fox and Lightstorm.

Hope this helps,

V

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Originally Posted by Van Ling /forum/thread/274728/true-lies#post_3657356

David and Jeff: as almost all movies have been transferred to HD since the advent of DVD in the late 1990s, there likely was an HD transfer of True Lies since I worked on the SD transfer with JC in 1994... but chances are it was done in the late 90's or very early 00's (I was not involved at that point), so it would probably better to do a new and current transfer for Blu-ray... but that's up to Fox and Lightstorm.

Hope this helps,
V
I have no doubt that a better transfer is probably needed for the eventual Blu-Ray release. Judging by the date that the D-Theater version came out (2003?), my guess would be that it was transferred at 1080i. I viewed it at a friend's house when it first came out and thought it looked great at the time though. That might be the transfer that was used for the anamorphic Japanese DVD.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
That's a fair assessment Jeff, it would be uber cool if a totally brand new transfert was made today. In 10 years, and even in the last 3 years, the improvement in software made it mandatory to redo old transferts, as the difference in detail in the scan will be noticeable even to the untrained eye. Sadly, many Blu-Rays issued these days use these old HD ready transfert because they do exist, and it's cheaper than redoing the whole thing.

Hopefully, with Avatar getting the Cameron star shining again, there will be no obstacle to retransfering True Lies, as well as Titanic (the last HD transfert, is what, 5 years old ? It's supposed to be redone in 3D anyway so new scan will be on) and the rest.

Now I know it maybe a stretch, but Mr Ling, wouldn't it be cool if the old video clip of Martini Ranch featuring Bill Paxton, be available in HD in the supplements (or to download via BD live). A proper HD version would be great because that video is like a mini Cameron movie, and I guess it only as a place in True Lies supplements (Titanic would be a bit off I say and I doubt it would be allowed in the Aliens supplements as this is part of a franchise of films).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
MachinesofHate7 said:
If Mr. Cameron wishes to "cut the fat," he might well start with the misguided, misogynistic sequence in which Jamie Lee Curtis is humiliated for an audiece of macho dudes hiding behind a one-way mirror. I heard there was some controversy about this, but even before that I felt the sequence degraded everything before and most everything after in the film, to the point where it remains the sole Cameron film I will not own (unless that very unnecessary sequence is cut).

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Wow - if there's one thing I don't think I've ever heard, it's James Cameron being accused of being misogynistic. Just look at the strong female characters that have headlined the rest of his films: Sarah Connor (Terminator/T2), Ellen Ripley (Aliens), Lindsey Brigman (the Abyss), Rose (Titanic) and Neytiri (Avatar).

Add to that list Helen Tasker.

Yes, Jamie Lee Curtis' character is a meek and seemingly helpless character at the beginning of the movie, however as the story unfolds, she is revealed to be a strong, capable woman who can clearly hold her own alongside the likes of Arnold Schwarzenegger and anyone else in the film.

If Helen's character served the story in no other capacity than to be a stereotypical "damsel in distress" then I could see where there's little point in wasting screen time for no end, however in the grander scheme of things, the scene serves as an important part of her character arc - establishing a "bottom line" where she is literally at rock bottom with no alternatives. From that point on, she has nothing but herself to rely upon and she decides enough is enough. It's a transformation that pays off completely in the film's coda ending.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Cut the confession scene ? That's totally not getting it. It's the most emotional scene of the movie, the one where Helen explains where her life is at, her aspirations years before, and why she feels she failed it, even thought she did suceeed family wise. It's not mysoginistic, is THE scene where the woman open her heart. It's the best scene of the movie, and the reason I think why Cameron made this one, the scene is similar to the one in the original.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I didn't expect my opinion would be agreeable to others. But it is, after all, only my opinion. Your points, Jason and David, are probably valid, but for me the sequence felt abusive and unnecessary. I do agree, however, that James Cameron's films generally are anything but misogynistic, and I recognize the fact that he populates his films with strong female characters, which I have always admired.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
netflix streaming is playing true lies. it looked like it was enhanced for widescreen. since there is not an enhanced version on dvd? is there one finally made? or did they just zoomed in? it was not in HD.

Jacob

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
The japanese and R2 PAL discs were 16/9. There's also a HDTV version reformated to 1.77, exposing less image on the sides, and more up and down.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
it seem like it was a 2.35 movie like it was in the theatres.

Jacob

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Any update on this forgotten film of James Cameron's? I quite liked it and would like to see it again.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by TheBat
netflix streaming is playing true lies. it looked like it was enhanced for widescreen. since there is not an enhanced version on dvd? is there one finally made? or did they just zoomed in? it was not in HD.

Jacob
Many different versions of a film can exist for different media outlets around the world, there was also a special edition of the movie due to come out and then 9/11 happened and they dropped it, i'm sure they will re-visit this again and maybe do a new scan since there have been many improvements in film scanning since the last proposed release was cancelled, maybe they already have re-visited it and are working on it.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
There's news this week of a True Lies tv show being considered. I'd link, but the article is on a site being renovated (and acting wonky). But if true, it should force the release of True Lies on BluRay, I'd imagine.

Update:

http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=191&itemid=18582

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
From Cinematical:

:Finally, Cameron addressed rumors of his involvement in an upcoming 'True Lies' television series. Specifically, he said he wishes the producers luck, but will have nothing to do with it. "I'm not really doing that," he explained. "That was initiated by others - friends of mine who wanted to do that. I said, 'Yes, go with God. Do 'True Lies.' But do I have to show up to do anything?' They said, 'Absolutely not.'":

http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/10/20/james-cameron-avatar-2-cleopatra/

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
It stinks of a generic show that will at least get solid premiere episode ratings because of its affiliation with a movie that's still played daily on basic cable.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
All I want is a remastered Special Edition (standard) DVD of the movie. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks