What's new

True Grit (2010) (1 Viewer)

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
The early reviews on this are stellar. Really looking forward to it, and the PG-13 rating makes it pretty ideal family fare for the Holidays:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/true-grit-2010/

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

Great trailers. Hope it goes wide at Christmas so we wont have to wait until January to see see it.

It's opening wide on Christmas Day because there is only one other film doing the same and it's a romantic comedy.

[/QUOTE]

What film is that? I know Gulliver's Travels is also now opening on Christmas Day.. looks terrible, but

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Yes.

Going in, I'm a Coen Brother's fan. My favorites still being the theatrical version of Blood Simple and also, Miller's Crossing.

From the very first frames I felt I was in the presence of cinema greatness while viewing this new version of True Grit.

It was a special treat, as always, to ID the various central Texas locations.

If you haven't screened Night Of The Hunter in a while, you'd do well to refresh yourself on Charles Laughton's only piece of film direction.

Camera work, costumes, writing, strong actors, music; I can't wait to see it again. Sadly, mostly due to my increasingly poor hearing, I missed much dialague, OK, mostly Jeff's. I'm also looking forward to the disc so I can turn on the subtitles.

Don't want to add more than this, you really should see this, on the big screen, ASAP.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
True Grit goes wide tomorrow. I plan on seeing it as soon as I can get out of work on Wednesday.

Crawdaddy

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
If you were in Austin, you could see it tonight.

It's running at SEVERAL theaters at midnight.

http://events.austin360.com/movies/show/324545-true-gritQuote:

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

True Grit goes wide tomorrow. I plan on seeing it as soon as I can get out of work on Wednesday.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Henry Gale

If you haven't screened Night Of The Hunter in a while, you'd do well to refresh yourself on Charles Laughton's only piece of film direction.

Since The Night of the Hunter is in my top three favorite films of all-time, I must admit I didn't care for that film connection with this new version of True Grit. Maybe, it won't bother me on future viewings of this latest film, but it did take me aback.

Anyhow, as far as this latest version of True Grit, I liked it a lot, but I'm still digesting the changes from the original film. I never read the novel so it would be interesting to read comments from those that have read the book and have seen this latest film adaptation.

Crawdaddy

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Oh, the keen dialogue in "True Grit" was delievered quite well, even if half of it was spit out by a precocious 14-year, Mattie Ross (Hailee Steinfeld), whose father is killed by Tom Chaney and she wants justice against the backdrop of the wild wild west. Mattie's determination to avenge her father's death leads her to Rooster Cogburn (Jeff Bridges), a federal marshall with his own storied history on the manhunt trail, and LaBoeuf (Matt Damon) who is a Texas Ranger on the same trail for a different murder.

The Coen Brothers do a fine job with the script, and directing this film filled with entertaining performances from the main 3 characters in the film. Roger Deakins works his cinematography magic once again, albeit in a more subtle manner. While it probably won't win them Oscars this go-around, it's a worthy addition to the genre of the Cowboy Westerns. Could Jeff Bridges get another Best Actor Oscar nomination for this role, it remains to be seen, but he got a lot of mileage out of the role/script.

I give it 3.75 stars, or a grade of A-.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just got back from watching this. I knew going in that I would probably enjoy this movie, but I had no idea leaving the theater that I would have a new "all time favorite" film. Easily the best Western film I have ever seen. The Coen Brothers have done it again. I'd be shocked if this doesn't get the best picture Oscar.

Edit: I see my thread got moved to this one.

Sorry if I overstepped my bounds. I just wanted to discuss the film with others that have seen it without spoiler tags. I guess I should have contacted a moderator first.

Bryan

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
This movie is just really good. Leisurely paced, but never boring. It's kind of an odd movie for the Coen Brothers in that it's almost normal. There is quite a bit of humor, but nothing that ever feels over-the-top or out-of-place with the setting. That said, there's also a kind of melancholy that runs through it as well, and the blend of those two emotions comes off really well.

The acting from everyone in the movie is great, and the Coens and their collaborators, as always, display impeccable technical craftsmanship.

Other films this year may have reached higher, but True Grit does what it does very, very well. It's content to tell an old-fashioned Western story in a fairly straightforward manner, and I found it to be one of the most genuinely entertaining films of 2010.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I found the film to be a bit disappointing. Cant put my finger exactly on why.

Looked great, good acting,beautiful photography....

I wanted more of Barry Pepper.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"I found the film to be a bit disappointing. Cant put my finger exactly on why."

I have to agree. There was never any doubt (in my mind) that Rooster had true grit and would triumph over Ned Pepper. I don't know if they were just following the book, but the ending as is doesn't let the audience experience Mattie's emotions over the climax of her conflict with Tom Cheney. The pit and rush to rescue seem tacked on, and unrelated to the issues as established between the characters.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JonZ

I understand that. The villains had very little screen time. But I just loved the dynamic of it. A tough as nails marshal, a thoughtful Texas Ranger, and a whip smart little girl tracking them.

The acting was above average, the direction was perfect, and the pacing was flawless.

I think this beats "The Unforgiven" .

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Originally Posted by Bryan^H

I understand that. The villains had very little screen time. But I just loved the dynamic of it. A tough as nails marshal, a thoughtful Texas Ranger, and a whip smart little girl tracking them.

The acting was above average, the direction was perfect, and the pacing was flawless.

I think this beats "The Unforgiven" .

[/QUOTE]

I agree totally. I think it's the best western since "The Wild Bunch".

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Don Solosan
The pit and rush to rescue seem tacked on, and unrelated to the issues as established between the characters.
Really? I thought that scene was necessary. It established Cogburn not only had "true grit", but true heroic character. Also the second time Mattie was in grave danger, making it a more perilous journey, and a better cinematic experience.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For those that really like this film, have you seen the original film and was it lately?

Crawdaddy

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"Really? I thought that scene was necessary. It established Cogburn not only had "true grit", but true heroic character. Also the second time Mattie was in grave danger, making it a more perilous journey, and a better cinematic experience."

I felt that Cogburn's "grit" was firmly established by his taking on four gunmen single-handedly. As I said, you don't get to process her killing Cheney because that's displaced by these scenes. Remember the kid in "Unforgiven" after he shoots the guy in the outhouse? I really needed something like that (and not necessarily crying) to show how she feels about having to do the job that she hired Rooster for.

The only thing it establishes (for me) is how much he's come to care for her, but at a steep price, narratively speaking.

Just out of curiosity -- is that whole snake-bite sequence in the original?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Don Solosan

"Really? I thought that scene was necessary. It established Cogburn not only had "true grit", but true heroic character. Also the second time Mattie was in grave danger, making it a more perilous journey, and a better cinematic experience."

I felt that Cogburn's "grit" was firmly established by his taking on four gunmen single-handedly. As I said, you don't get to process her killing Cheney because that's displaced by these scenes. Remember the kid in "Unforgiven" after he shoots the guy in the outhouse? I really needed something like that (and not necessarily crying) to show how she feels about having to do the job that she hired Rooster for.

The only thing it establishes (for me) is how much he's come to care for her, but at a steep price, narratively speaking.

Just out of curiosity -- is that whole snake-bite sequence in the original?

Yes, it's in the original, but with some differences. IMO, it was from that standpoint going forward that really established the emotional bond between Mattie and Rooster. The ending is completely different as Mattie is never shown as a grown woman, but there is an important scene regarding the final resting place for Rooster.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks