What's new

True Blood: Season Five (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
A few years ago, this thread would be cooking.   The state of the show at this point is part of why a thread like this languishes.
People always talk more about a show when it's new. Plus, the majority of posts here are about how much people hate Tara and that doesn't really lend itself to conversation. I can understand why people don't like Tara but I think her storyline this year is probably the most interesting they're ever had for the character and it doesn't feel they're shoehorning her into a story like in other years.
For my money, the show is basically at the same point it usually is at three episodes in- it's still setting up its 5,000 storylines for the season and things will get moving soon.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I honestly groaned every time Tara came on the screen. I SO don't care, and Sookie and Lafayette are going to be wasted this season if that's ALL they're going to be doing (trying to troubleshoot and second guess their own decision.)

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Tara is like a robot/zombie/idiot the way she walks and her facial expressions; I swear when she broke the glass on the door it was a scene from The Terminator.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah I like the connection they are making between Pam making Tara and her Flashback's with Eric when she was made. But the segments with Tara are so incredibly Bad, especially the way Rutina Wesley is playing it. Tara should have stayed dead, otherwise this year is interesting.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well it looks like Lafayette will still be battleing Demons, but god How I hope Pam let's Tara Fry herself.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Speaking of Pam, I've always enjoyed her performance, but this season she seems to have upped her game with some terrific one-liners.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Pam won't let Tara die(too bad) because she is going to realize how important it is to be a Maker and have to teach and raise Tara up.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Wow is this show totally killing me. Turning Terry into a horrific war criminal is... Wow. Yes, we'll he burned a village up and killed a rack of innocents summoning a demon. Unbelievably off the rails.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
No wonder Alan Ball is leaving. I think he's just run out of ideas. The Authority storyline is unbelievably dull (and this coming from a big Christopher Meloni fan), and Tara continues to be a total turn-off.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
MattH. said:
The Authority storyline is unbelievably dull (and this coming from a big Christopher Meloni fan)...
I'm assuming that since they hired Christopher Meloni, they've got something big planned for the character/actor than just standing around doing monologues. Eventhough he hasn't done much of anything, I gotta admit that I find the guy to be intense and fairly scary when he's onscreen.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
  • Tara is a vampire
  • Andy and Jason are chasing faeries
  • Terry is chasing the smoke monster from Lost
  • Bill and Eric are chasing Russell
  • Lafayette is being haunted by his ex/internal demon
  • Some not yet known group is assassinating shifters
  • The Authority is attempting to squash a Sanguinista rebellion
A kind word to describe this many major plot lines to be addressed and resolved in 12 hours of tv would be ambitious. Throw in that the Rev is a vamp and obsessed with Sookie, plus the werewolves and Debbie's parents, Eric's sister and the Fangtasia crew and it's just too much. Some of the arcs hold promise, but there's so much going on it's impossible for me to get invested in any of the stories. As much as I liked Russell, he should have stayed dead so they could move on. Kind of like Russell on Survivor. :) I guess it's all planned, given the use of "supes" to describe all the supernaturals collectively and Jason's observation that this has all existed forever, but it's the vampires fault for bringing the killing into the open. Maybe we're headed for a vampire vs. everyone else war? I'll keep watching since it's summer and out of past loyalty, but I think the number of plots attempted was too aggressive and someone needed to say save some of those for the next two seasons.
PS - Of all things, I thought Tara was actually compelling this week. Didn't hurt that she was all slutted up.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I still watch this, although Im not sure why.

Funny that my favorite characters in this show all ended up being women - Jessica, Pam (always amusing) and Lorena (who I miss), with Salome moving up the list.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I skipped a year or two but am trying again this season.
I do like the addition of Christopher Meloni, but I'm still not positive I'll keep up with it. A few more episodes and I'll decide.
JonZ said exactly what I've been thinking "I still watch this, but I'm not sure why"

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I'm enjoying it. Rewatching each episode (and fast forwarding over the Terry scenes when i rewatch).
Better than last season.
Anna Paquin is portraying Sookie differently than in the past seasons, which is a nice change-up.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Last week's show certainly held a BIG surprise demise, but I still can't dredge up interest in some of the subplots. The Terry/fire monster story and Lafayette/demon within story haven't caught fire, and the story of the supe snipers is moving too slowly to engage (yet).

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
How long until Sookie takes on the smoke-monster/Balrog?
"Y'all shall not fuckin' pass!!!"
As for last night...this show is about to lose me. What the fuck was that? I understand that part of the charm of the show is that anything can happen, but come on.
(And "magic" runs out?!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks