True Blood season 1 (HBO) (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
First two episodes are up on InDemand.

It's an interesting twist on the vampire-human situation. A japanese firm invents "TruBlood" a synthetic blood that allows vampires to shed their lurker roles and come out into the public.

Some vampires appear, and try to become aprt of society; meanwhile, some people hunt vampires, apparently using thier blood as a sort of drug, and prostituting themselves to them for the experience.

Anna Paquin as a mind-reader.

Hmm. Who knows where this is going. The first episode was better then I expected, and Alan Ball (Six Feet Under) has a good track record. I'll give it a try and see what happens ;)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I have a problem.

No mater what, I finish what I start. Be that a movie, tv show or book. No matter how bad it is.

That's not to say that I didn't like this show but since I started watching it, I'm in for the long haul. I liked it but it could go bad.

I still watch ER if that says anything and that pretty much sux these days.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I watched the first episode and I thought it was ok. I will give it a few more before I pass true judgement.

Anna is always enjoyable but a few of the characters got on my nerves a little bit...best friend Tara being the main offender.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
It was ok. Anna Paquin was pretty bad in it though, both acting and that accent. Well, all the accents were bad lol.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I kinda liked the debut, but I have the sinking feeling that this show could get real old REAL fast...

Didn't Buffy already cover this "attracted to a vampire" material for seven seasons (give or take a season)?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Did the show need both vampires and mind reading? Plus I didn't care for the actor playing the vampire.

I don't know if I'll stay with it.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

Same here. They should have used the "goth" long-haired convenience store clerk from the opening instead.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
:laugh: i have the SAME PROBLEM!!! we need to start a club. TV-anonymous or somn like that. although T&A means somn else too ;).

don, the point of the opening montage is that nothing is what they appear to be. u thought that that the clerk was the vampire... but it's the other guy who was =).

i think this series is going to give us a huge dose of what it means to be prejudiced against somn... anything. vampirism is just a cover for whatever that "ism" is. similar to dexter's twisted moral codes =).
-yifeng

ErichH

Screenwriter
There are a few hotties in the bayou, but they don't look like a casting call in LA, and they don't speak such clear English either. I'll give ep3-? a chance and see what breaks.

It's already obvious the writing borrows from 10 places and expects us to go along with quite a few assumptions about some weird future. I can go there, but it better perform past the fist 2 eps T&A.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

I know that
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

My point was that I would have preferred the vampire that Paquin "meets" look a little more "Goth" and a lot less "Martin Donovan."

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Did the show need both vampires and mind reading?"

I havent read the books, but supposedly its just the beginning of meeting supernatural characters (as people who have read the books already know).

For example, Ill mention one change I noticed from when I saw the pilot months back.

This is a spoiler about a character that will be shown in the future.....
When Sookie saves Bill there was a woman seen watching from nearby that is supposedly Sookies fairy godmother or something like that. The shots of her were cut from the premiere on sunday

Also it appears Michelle Forbes has landed the role of
Woman in the Woods/Maryann/ Maenad

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Lots of gratuitous sex scenes...not that theirs anything wrong with that. ;)

Also, a few things....

-When she gets beaten up at the end. I was surprised the bar owner wasn't watching from his window or that he couldn't hear her getting beat.

-For those who read the books. With regards to getting bit by vamps during sex or drinking vampire blood by addicts. Wouldn't they turn into vampires?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
yeah i was just thinking about that todd =P. what kind of vamp mythos will this series explore?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Your first point will eventually be answered by the series. On your second point, Charlaine Harris created her own version of vampires and rules. She of course used many existing traditions but also modified them. In her books a single bite doesn't create a vampire, come to think of it, I don't that that has been true in other versions either. There is a significant amount of effort for a vampire to make a vampire.

I read someplace or that the first season will be 12 episodes and is only the first book, Dead Until Dark. I thought the actor playing Bill was just fine and so also was Sookie. However, there was something about the episode that seemed off. I'm hoping this is a series that finds it's way after an episode or two.

I've enjoyed the books so much, that I know I'll stay interested in the series. BTW, the books are available at Audible.com and the reader is pretty good.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have to agree here, Tara is not in the books and why they wrote her as such an asshole, I don't know. You know what's harder to believe in vampires? Tara keeping a job more than day.

As for those wanting a more traditional vampire, remember that in this world, vampires have come out of the coffin and they occupy all niches of society. Some are more traditional but many blend right in.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I believe that traditionally you have to drink the blood of the vampire who bit you for you to become one yourself.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

Yes it was and the preview for next week looks like it will be even better. Can't wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks