True Blood on HBO

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Johnny Angell, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Does anyone know when this series will start telecasting? I've been reading the books by Charlaine Harris and have enjoyed them all.

For those not familiar with these books, they are about a young southern waitress named Sookie Stackhouse who can read minds, except for vampires. Reading minds has been a burden for Sookie and she finds the blank book that vampires are to her, very attractive.

Oh, I almost forgot. An artificial blood, True Blood, has been invented, which means vampires don't have to kill people anymore and they have come out of the closet, gone public.

If anyone is interested in reading the novels, read them in order, start with "Dead Until Dark."

2. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I think it starts in September. A must watch for me.

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

HBO has put up a website (BloodCopy) that is set up like it's part of the True Blood 'universe'. They also have weekly 'reports' on On Demand too.

4. josephmckinney

josephmckinney Auditioning

Can't wait for September!

Alan Ball + HBO = Yet another hit!! Six Feet Under was a great show!

5. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I saw the pilot and didnt like it at all.

I'll tune in for the obvious reason though[​IMG]

6. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    How'd you get to see the pilot and why didn't you like it?

7. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I saw it on quizpoints. After you take the quiz it gave a list of prizes and one of them said "HBO Vampire Series Pilot". I dont remember where I found out it was available there.

There are no story spoilers here, but I put my comments in spoilers tags....

I really didnt like it. I realize its the pilot and were just being introduced to the characters, but I found them to be dull and uninteresting. Nothing interesting done with the cinematography (for a story that should have oozed atmosphere and mood) and the story dragged. One hour felt like 3 hours. The vampires were pathetic(no sense/aura of power). I understand the idea of making them more like everyday people, but they are supernatural creatures and they came off here as very weak. As Ive mentioned elsewhere, the pilot also had the most unintentially funny sex scene Ive ever seen.

I actually was suprised Alan Ball was involved with this. Ive enjoyed some bmovie vampire flicks more. My main issue is with the way the vampires are portrayed.

Theres plenty of time to fix things up as I saw it months ago.

8. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Anna Paquin+Vampyres+Louisiana = Calling DirecTV and telling them to turn HBO back on.