What's new

Troy, Space Cowboys, Lethal Weapon 2, House of Wax HD-DVD 9-12! (1 Viewer)

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/

More Warner titles on the way next month! I'll be picking up Troy, LW2 and Space Cowboys from this bunch. Still waiting on the official word for Harry Potter on August 29th - WHERE IS IT??

It's shaping up to be a very expensive few months leading to Christmas! ;)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Amazon could put me down for a sale of Lethal Weapon 2 if they actually decide to list them for sale on their site. Still waiting for them to do that with Caddyshack and The Searchers. What gives?

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
I'll be picking up NONE of these titles. Come on WB, it's time to release the really good stuff *cough* Batman Begins... *cough**cough* The Matrix... *hurling noises* Terminator 3!!!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget "the Paris Hilton Horror Hit" House Of Wax.

I love how movies that don't even recoup their budgets are called hits these days....

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

They're probably saving those for the holiday season. And it's not like Legal Wreckin 2 is a bad movie or anything.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Lethal Weapon 2 was a rather big commercial and critical hit.
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...907070301/1023
Lw2 earned $147 million in 1989
BB earned $205 million last year. Adjusted for cost of living increase, LW2 was a bigger hit and I'm sure sold more tickets...
I for one enjoyed it a helluva lot more than Batman Begins...

but what do I know...

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The titles are coming, the titles are coming!!!
I say; Hooray!!!
Even if I don't want any of them.
The format lives, as long as we get releases and that's good enough for me.
All this whining of "my" title hasn't been released yet, just shows the lack of knowledge of the time & place HD disc is in at the moment.
There are those that say, if "my" title is released the format will be a huge success. Butt, who knows that for sure? Certainly not the studios, who have to take all the risk in this process.
Just remember, HD discs sales, for both formats, are predicted to amount to 1% of SD DVD sales this year. There just aren't that many machines out, at this time, to ensure huge success of a title.
What is GREAT news, is that a title like Aeon Flux, is in such high demand, currently outstripping supply, for all the retailers to stock. That's got to help studios feel more secure in releasing MAJOR titles as well.
When either or both of the waring formats (and that can't be a good thing for the studios, the fact there is a format war raging doesn't breed confidence) hits 300,000 players on the market, that will surly help the floodgates open!

Don't forget, vinyl outsells DVD-A & SA-CD combined to this day, And many would say "Vinyl is Dead". Didn't WB release DVD-A's? Didn't Uni release DVD-A's?

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder

It's just annoying that the insert in the WB HD-DVD's say that Batman Begins, The Matrix and T3 will be out Summer 2006, which means before Sept. 22. I highly doubt that'll happen at this point.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Those titles fall in the category of the others, mediocore releases. If I were HD-DVD, I would start releasing now up to and including October, those heavy duty releases. HD-DVD has proven to display great video and great uncompressed sound via 5.1 analog inputs (as per the reviews here), pull out all the stops and let it go.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Lethal Weapon 2 is not a mediocre title. I think it's the best film of the series and is very entertaining.

Crawdaddy

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Except for HOUSE OF WAX, I like all of these titles. Too bad they aren't releasing the 1953 Vincent Price HOUSE OF WAX instead.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
What is this continued perception of Lethal Weapon 2 being a "mediocre" title? It made almost 3x the $ that the first one did, got very good reviews, sold alot more tickets than say "Superman Returns" and was very well regarded. Maybe because they just kept cranking out the sequels to diminishing results?
I thought it was the best of the series and obviously many moviegoers and critics thought the same.
I concede that it might not be everyone's cup of tea but it was a big hit and is hardly a "B' title or mediocre. Now "House of wax"....

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

My personal favorite is Lethal Weapon, 2 is pretty good, but I think there's a few other movies that can be released that are new titles that could probably fit the bill, that's just me.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Cool! Keep 'em coming!

Sure there are some "big" titles I'm frustrated waiting for, but I'll be happy to pick up Troy and LW2.

It is also nice seeing WB announce several titles almost a month in advance.

I hope that they start doing this more often now.

BrandonJF

Second Unit

I don't think anyone living in reality has the perception that Lethal Weapon 2 is a mediocre title. People moaning about the quality of LW2 either haven't seen it or are confusing it with some other movie.

Lethal Weapon 2 is one of those rare sequels that is superior to the original. Vastly superior, in my opinion.

And we are talking about a HUGE franchise here. The success of Lethal Weapon 2 carried on and the next two sequels did very well.

At this point, if it isn't Batman Begins, Harry Potter, The Matrix, or Terminator 3, it's "mediocre".

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
LW2 was a fun movie, but I have no interest in Mel Gibson movies anymore.

Space Cowboys looks pretty good in HD. I may or may not get the HD DVD.

The House of Wax remake is absolute trash. What a waste.

Troy put me to sleep--I probably won't get it either.

But one man's garbage is another man's treasure.

Still, show me the REAL House of Wax, throw in The Mystery of the Wax Museum as a supplement as the HoW DVD had, then release The Right Stuff--and I'm there with checkbook in hand.

- Steve

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

There's an upside to waiting though. We might get TrueHD audio tracks on more titles if they're delayed. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is supposed to have one. T3 likely won't if the recently leaked back cover of the HD-DVD is any indication, but the jury's still out on Batman Begins and The Matrix.

Users who are viewing this thread