What's new

Trouble passing audio/video from PC through Denon AVR-1909 (2 Viewers)

Sequoia93

Auditioning
Real Name
Hayden
Hi all, I have had a very frustrating afternoon trying to pass my computer's audio/video signal through my AVR so I can preserve the 5.1 audio.

Right now I have my PC connected to the receiver's HDMI input, then an HDMI running from the receiver's monitor out to the TV. Now, when I access the receiver's menu, it displays on the TV just fine. But my computer does not seem to recognize any new display or audio outputs when plugged in to the receiver. I have actually tried this with two PCs, both running windows 10. Ones is a desktop with a GTX 970, the other a laptop with intel integrated.

In the past I just had all the audio/video running to the TV from the desktop via HDMI, then the audio running from the TV to the receiver via optical. But now I have installed surround sound speakers and as far as I know, running HDMI from PC --> receiver --> TV is the only way to preserve the 5.1 audio.

I cannot seem to find any solutions online for this specific issue. please help!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I believe you have to tell Windows that you are connecting to a 5.1 setup. Somewhere in the sound settings you will find the speaker layout.

Sorry I can't be more specific as I do not run Windows normally. I do recall having to do this the last time I had my laptop plugged in.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The settings may be in the specific software you're using. Plex and PowerDVD, for example, default to non-digital output. Simple changes in their settings gave 5.1 Dolby digital and DTS output over HDMI.

Also, In windows, search settings for Sound. The sound control panel might be relevant too.

Sequoia93

Auditioning
Real Name
Hayden
When I go to the Realtek control panel there are no options for 5.1 (there are hardly any options period...)

Also, In the sound settings in the control panel, no new audio devices appear.

Neither of my computers seems to recognize any new audio or video outputs when I plug the HDMI in.

I have, of course, checked the cable, ports ,etc. everything works fine until I try to plug either computer into the AVR...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks